The Downfall Of Tennessee Football

HAMILTON.....biggest mistake The Vols have ever made was hiring that buffoon!

Amazing how one man can play such a large role in completely derailing a dominant program like ours. Overlooking Gary Patterson, hiring loose-cannon Kiffin, and then hiring completely unproven Dooley still haunt this program to today. Urghhh... all this still hurts!

Duncan I appreciate the post but really I am most interested in what needs to go RIGHT for TN football to get right again

I don't think UT will be back until they have leadership at the top (president, board of trustees) who are committed to the football team being big winners. Bammer found this out during their wilderness experience. We're where we are because the leadership has been so bad really since Johnson retired. Great leadership at the top yields good AD's who get good coaches. That and a lot cheating in recruiting.:cool:

Decent video, but I must add that narrator completely glossed over Kiffin's late night press conference exit, as well as the embarrassment of Schiano Sunday and the exhausting coaching search thereafter... Those were two pivotal moments in our decline and two that us Vol fans will never forget! I still remember where I was and what I was doing during Kiffin's exit...

Last edited:
Amazing how one man can play such a large role in completely derailing a dominant program like ours. Overlooking Gary Patterson, hiring loose-cannon Kiffin, and then hiring completely unproven Dooley still haunt this program to today. Urghhh... all this still hurts!

Someone had to hire Hamilton. You had Shumaker followed by Peterson during the time of transition from Dickey to Hamilton. Shumaker was forced to resign under scandal and Peterson couldn't get along with the Chancellor at UTK. Hamilton only cared about the money. Nobody was minding the store during a critical time in the football program when Fulmer was on the downswing of his successful career.

It all started with the firing of Fulmer. He had a bad start to a season then...gotta fire his catfish eating azz. They should of kept him on as face of the program. Like PSU did with Paterno...or FSU with Bowden. Paterno and Bowden weren't calling X's and O's near the end. No way. Paterno hardly knew where he was...same with Bowden...but they had good assistants running things...and having them as the "face" of the program helped keep the recruiting train rolling. Same could of been done with Fulmer...and we don't go through all these years of exile in the wilderness. UT did this to themselves. Thinking they were so above slipping ONE YEAR. Oh no...can't have that at UT. Now look where we're at.

Tennessee failed to invest in upgraded facilities in Fulmer's last few years. Other programs (Alabama) built better facilities while we were cutting costs.

Reactions: dduncan4163
It all started with the firing of Fulmer. He had a bad start to a season then...gotta fire his catfish eating azz. They should of kept him on as face of the program. Like PSU did with Paterno...or FSU with Bowden. Paterno and Bowden weren't calling X's and O's near the end. No way. Paterno hardly knew where he was...same with Bowden...but they had good assistants running things...and having them as the "face" of the program helped keep the recruiting train rolling. Same could of been done with Fulmer...and we don't go through all these years of exile in the wilderness. UT did this to themselves. Thinking they were so above slipping ONE YEAR. Oh no...can't have that at UT. Now look where we're at.
Problem with that is Fulmer was trying to coach a team without David Cutcliff as an assistant. Fulmer was average without him.

Either you didn't play close attention or you're intentionally misrepresenting the facts. We went 5-7 twice in Fulmer's last four years. And one of those years we were ranked in the top five going into the season (2005).

Well put together video...everything we already knew...Mike Leach Mike Leach Mike Leach...I am so tired of people pushing for this idiot...he went 1-8, 4-5, 2-7 in the weak Pac 10 during his first 3 years and is 33-30 in Pac 10 during his career. I disagree that Tennessee should have hired this nut. I do appreciate you saying we should give Pruitt a chance and lay off. He deserves at least 4 years.

Unless a GREAT coach is available, the best way to rebound is to change the culture, S&C, and improved position coaching. This staff has those elements. We can get back, but not quickly.

Hubbs said the SEC rule changes regarding over signing have hurt. Butch signed 60 players in his first 2 classes, compared to 48 for Pruitt.

I don't think UT will be back until they have leadership at the top (president, board of trustees) who are committed to the football team being big winners. Bammer found this out during their wilderness experience. We're where we are because the leadership has been so bad really since Johnson retired. Great leadership at the top yields good AD's who get good coaches. That and a lot cheating in recruiting.:cool:
You do realize education is the prime objective of the university and sports are just a minor extracurricular activity?

VN Store

Back