The Championships, Wimbledon

The Link

I love watching this tournament.

isner-mahut-wimbledon10a.jpg

Don't sleep on the tall dude in that photo up top.

Prolly Novak though
Isner has a good game for the surface, for sure. Doubt he'll be there at the end, but it's certainly possible. I think you may be right about Novak. I hope someone like Raonic has a breakout tournament, though.
I like Kvitova will repeat on the women's side, which would be just fine with me.

A classic moment in the height of my playing days. Simply priceless.

I watched Borg blast a forehand past Mac's approach that rivaled the bombers of today. How is that possible with the badminton raquets they played with back then? He hit it on the sweet spot every time. I marveled at it. Mac's touch at the net was a sight to behold, as well.

Venus better be on her game coming out of the gate. Vesnina first round, potentially
Aggie Radwanska second. Not good.

The top quarter of the women's draw has some interesting matchups in the first round. Clijsters/Jankovich, Barthel/Kuznetsova, Kerber/Hradeka and a possible second round matchup between Vania King and Sloane Stephens. I like Stephens in that one, if it happens. I'll bet Jankovich hates this draw. Clijsters will probably kill her if she gets over her muscle strain.

The Scotsman faces a very tough task in this tournament. Murray faces Davydenko to begin with. Then, likely that he will face Dr. Ivo. Then, It looks like he will run into a monster fourth round against either Milos Raonic or Marin Cilic. Not an easy path.

Last edited:
I didn't see the tennis dork beacon until this afternoon, so I'm running behind on my SW19 predictions.

I take the Big 3 over the field (actually Big 2). Federer has a cupcake draw that he should have no real trouble with until a possible quarters (?) matchup with Isner, then, obviously, Djoker in the semis. If not for his draw, I'd almost say Federer leaves in first week. He still may because the upset looms. I think RF hurt himself in Rome and hasn't recovered fully. Of course, many commentators -- who never get these right until they do get one right -- are actually picking RF.

Nadal has a tricky draw in that he potentially has to face some ball-bashers. One of those guys could send Nadal packing and a few have come close in years past at W. Nadal somehow, someway always fights through the scare and ends up in the final. I see the same playing out this year.

Djoker. I was one that believed he didn't like the taste left in his mouth by the way he played the final in Paris. We shall see. I didn't like his play in Paris until the 3rd set of the final so maybe his game is just not up to snuff. Most likely, he'll want to prove a point to Nadal and will meet him in the final.

One of the commentators picked Almagro as his darkhorse pick despite his abysmal past showings at W. I like that pick and could see Almagro making a deep run. He's not going to win W, but has some game and can make some noise.

Someone also picked DelPo to make the final which would mean, I think, that he'd have to get past Nadal eventually. Again, it's hard to fathom anyone taking out Nadal, but a big hitter that finds the zone for three sets certainly has a shot.

Final word, I hope Brian Baker wins W. Ok, just win a round or two. I wish him great luck.

I didn't see the tennis dork beacon until this afternoon, so I'm running behind on my SW19 predictions.

I take the Big 3 over the field (actually Big 2). Federer has a cupcake draw that he should have no real trouble with until a possible quarters (?) matchup with Isner, then, obviously, Djoker in the semis. If not for his draw, I'd almost say Federer leaves in first week. He still may because the upset looms. I think RF hurt himself in Rome and hasn't recovered fully. Of course, many commentators -- who never get these right until they do get one right -- are actually picking RF.

Nadal has a tricky draw in that he potentially has to face some ball-bashers. One of those guys could send Nadal packing and a few have come close in years past at W. Nadal somehow, someway always fights through the scare and ends up in the final. I see the same playing out this year.

Djoker. I was one that believed he didn't like the taste left in his mouth by the way he played the final in Paris. We shall see. I didn't like his play in Paris until the 3rd set of the final so maybe his game is just not up to snuff. Most likely, he'll want to prove a point to Nadal and will meet him in the final.

One of the commentators picked Almagro as his darkhorse pick despite his abysmal past showings at W. I like that pick and could see Almagro making a deep run. He's not going to win W, but has some game and can make some noise.

Someone also picked DelPo to make the final which would mean, I think, that he'd have to get past Nadal eventually. Again, it's hard to fathom anyone taking out Nadal, but a big hitter that finds the zone for three sets certainly has a shot.

Final word, I hope Brian Baker wins W. Ok, just win a round or two. I wish him great luck.

Great writeup, D. Keep in mind, Djokovich would likely have to get past Berdych to get to the semi, and that is no easy task. He'll probably do it, but Berdych has been playing some super tennis this year.

DelPo's section of the draw has some interesting possible matchups. You got Ferrer, Roddick, Nishikori, DelPo and Raonic battling it out for the right to face Nadal. Could be some good tennis matches in that section.

I think Baker could possibly win three, being that the likely third round would be Alexandr Dolgopolov, whom I love for his Santoro-esque shotmaking, but Baker might be able to take him.

VN Store

Back