The Bull Might Return (Trey Smith)

I would love the kid to be playing ..selfishly of course ... If it was my child .. I would have to say that I preferred him to not play ... Im not a DR but I know how serious this is .. if Dr's can get him on Meds and get him back to normal and then there is a safe and accurate way to monitor the blood then I could see him trying it .. the kid has PRO potential for sure and I have no idea if a PRO team would touch him or not .. but he is a bright kid I hear .. just hope he is getting all the info he can from the best Dr's and treatment ..and make the best decision possible ... I appreciate his desire to play for the VOLS and further ... and I know he will be successful in whatever he decides to do but if football is that important to him .. it has to be his decision ..prayers for Trey and his family as they make a final decision on future ... you have already earned my respect football or not young man !!!!

My elderly mother fell several months ago and sustained a deep muscle bruise in her left gluteal (butt) muscle. She was fine 8 hours later and left the emergency room. 15 hours later, she suddenly developed excruciating pain in both legs. 36 hours later, she was admitted to the hospital with cauda equina syndrome.

After the initial fall and deep bruise, she kept bleeding for hours into her glutes. The blood finally clotted and put pressure on the nerves leaving the end of the spine. She became partially paralyzed from the hips down. She has regained some use of her right leg, but not a lot else.

She was on Eliquis, an anticoagulant (blood thinner.) This caused her to keep bleeding deep in her tissues.

It's not just the blood clots to worry about (the disease.) It's also the consequences of the medication (the treatment.)

I wish the best for Trey Smith. Perhaps they're doing some sort of watchful waiting thing in regards to the hypercoagulabity issue and the meds. I will be the first to stand up and cheer if he's able to play.

--eta: more anecdata, I realize, which is all anyone has

Just once I'd like to see the bull hoist him up about 10' . That is a Barbaric Dark Ages Sport. Spaniards are sickos.

tumblr_ny6282DZvW1s8gtxto1_400.gif

(I agree, btw.)

A healthy Brandon Kennedy and Trey Smith could conceivably change the whole dynamic of the Vols Oline and make it a better than average SEC Oline

Reactions: Mick
A healthy Brandon Kennedy and Trey Smith could conceivably change the whole dynamic of the Vols Oline and make it a better than average SEC Oline

I agree completely with this. I have this bad feeling, though, that Kennedy is one of those unfortunate players who is snakebit on the injury front. I hate it for the guy and hope I am wrong. I also feel that Trey's playing days are over. I hate that for him as well.

I agree completely with this. I have this bad feeling, though, that Kennedy is one of those unfortunate players who is snakebit on the injury front. I hate it for the guy and hope I am wrong. I also feel that Trey's playing days are over. I hate that for him as well.

1560713186858.gif

If I were Trey's father, I'd do anything and everything humanly possible to keep him off the field. This isn't like a son going off to war or fighting cancer. This is something he can avoid. Walk away. Live a long, happy life and have a family. Bury your parents not the other way around.

I have no idea how he could play at this point but I hope he’s able to if it’s safe for him to. He’s our best Olineman if he’s able to play.

If I were Trey's father, I'd do anything and everything humanly possible to keep him off the field. This isn't like a son going off to war or fighting cancer. This is something he can avoid. Walk away. Live a long, happy life and have a family. Bury your parents not the other way around.
It’s not like they would allow him to play on anticoagulants. He would be off them. Thing is that puts him at higher risk for clots.

It’s not like they would allow him to play on anticoagulants. He would be off them. Thing is that puts him at higher risk for clots.

And that's the threat to his life that I'd never be able to accept. I suppose his father would want what his son wants and for him to be happy. No parent ever thinks or imagines their child could die, but when it happens, it's an end to happiness and life as they know it. I don't wish that on anyone. It's hell on earth. If his father is on these boards and reading, DO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO KEEP HIM FROM PLAYING.

My gut tells me he's going to give it a go. If he was my son, I'd tell him it would be his call, but my prayer life would increase ten fold.
It’s not his decision. He has to be medically cleared.

This idea that trey can will himself to health is nonsense. The idea that a lay person can’t understand this medical condition is also nonsense. Trey’s type of condition is well documented and while clots can be the result of isolated conditions, this appears to be chronic.

Reactions: VolNExile

This idea that trey can will himself to health is nonsense. The idea that a lay person can’t understand this medical condition is also nonsense. Trey’s type of condition is well documented and while clots can be the result of isolated conditions, this appears to be chronic.

If it were chronic he would already be done. Obviously there is some other underlying issue they are trying to fix or figure out. No one else in his family has whatever issue he is having.

Obviously the university won't take on the liability of him not being cleared medically. Faith and belief are hardly nonsense. He may be the anomaly, time will tell.

I’m no expert on the matter of course but they first became aware of the issue do to his not being able to complete drills. He couldn’t catch his breath. If he’s in phenomenal shape then you’d tend to think they’ve corrected the issue? But who knows. We’ll definitely hear something pretty soon. Fall camp will being in less than a month.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I am not optimistic about him returning. Being in good shape has nothing to do with his condition with blood clots and the fact that he has been kept out of contact drills indicates that he is still on blood thinners.
Agreed. I wish nothing but the best for the young man, but I think him playing again is wishful thinking.

I’m no expert on the matter of course but they first became aware of the issue do to his not being able to complete drills. He couldn’t catch his breath. If he’s in phenomenal shape then you’d tend to think they’ve corrected the issue?.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Purple Tiger

I see a lot of our messages from yesterday are gone, that is ok: I just wanted to say one thing to you, if everything in life went as planned or the way we wanted it to then their would be no need for god. From trials and tribulations faith is built. if life was perfect then their would be no faith because we would have no worries. That’s why I believe in prayer, he may not answer my prayer right away or in the way I want him too, but he has a plan and I take peace in knowing that. I am truly sorry about your son, as you stated no parent should have to bury a child.

I think everyone should just mind their own business and try to enjoy the optimism for a day.

"blood thinners"
I take blood pressure and an "81" aspirin pill and every time I bump an arm, I bruise. I have been told "you better be glad you are not on a blood thinner" by folks I know taking them. Now, what will the effect or impact on Trey be getting banged around in the game of football?
That can also be genetic. My wife looks at a corner wrong and bruises. Her mom is the same way. I'm was on eliquis, the 81 aspirin, and Losartin, I don't bruise at all.

Last edited:
I don't think Jeremy Pruitt would have phrased it the way he did if he thought that Trey couldn't play. It would be unnecessary to say it that way if all signs didn't point to him being able to play, because it you disappoint the fan base.
Has nothing to do with the fan base. He is out there because there is a chance he plays. If there were no chance of him playing this fall he wouldn't sniff the facilities at UT due to liability reasons.

Reactions: Remy
LOL! There are so many doctors on here that haven't a clue what they are talking about. In fact, they compare apples to oranges and think they made a good point.

Reactions: Remy
Not very optimistic about this. The only other two athletes I’ve heard of with this problem ended up retiring. Chris Bosh and Brian Vickers(nascar)

VN Store

Back