The Bull Might Return (Trey Smith)

I did. It doesn’t change my response. I don’t think he’ll find a doctor stupid enough to clear him medically, so it doesn’t matter if he’s a kid making a poor decision.
Yeah, you still didn't get it.

Reactions: FBtime
I am not optimistic about him returning. Being in good shape has nothing to do with his condition with blood clots and the fact that he has been kept out of contact drills indicates that he is still on blood thinners.

The doctors may clear Trey after a predetermined amount of time of not taking blood thinners just as last year.
Obviously they would monitor Trey’s blood work very closely
A least this is probably a best case senecio, your in my prayers Mr Trey Smith...Go Vols

I hope he takes advice from trained medical professionals and not from a message board....

I agree all these shade tree medics on VN dispensing medical advice could be hazardous to his health as well as future plans. "My third cousin Trallis twice removed on my mamas side had blood clots. She goes to Duke medical center and she said her doctor told her Trey will never take the field again." Some of the absolute silliest comments from people so far removed from being practicing medical professionals who've never been in the same room with Trey much less examined him regularly pontificate about his exact diagnosis which has never been made public and then worse pontificate again about his personal prognosis. Me? I will await whatever Trey and his medical team say about his medical condition and whether he plays or not. The same bunch saying he was done last year watched him run through the T and play after having retired him then as well.

Anbody that knows or has read much material about Trey knows he is a young man of a very strong faith. I seriously doubt Trey is the kind of person that will live his life in fear for whatever time he has on this Earth. Nothing wrong with praying for and about Trey but he has this issue well in hand that has been handed to him. He is not wringing his hands with his knees knocking, he is going to go through this life boldly.

Him dropping from 360 to 320 pounds and being in better shape makes no difference whatsoever in his chances of throwing blood clots. The reason that he is doing everything except for contact is that the contact could kill him while he’s on blood thinners (and he will likely be on them permanently). He won’t be back.With his medical history and family medical history I don’t think he could ever find a doctor willing to medically clear him.

I feel the same. If a clot goes to the wrong spot in his lungs heart or brain? I've seen that kill people instantly. Without some sort of miracle treatment that has never been rumored suddenly being announced, I can't see him ever playing again.

However, stem cell treatments cured a former coach I know of terminal bone cancer. Miracles do happen. If that wasn't a miracle, I don't know what you call one. But until that miracle therapy treatment is in the news? He is not getting cleared by any competent doctor.

Him dropping from 360 to 320 pounds and being in better shape makes no difference whatsoever in his chances of throwing blood clots. The reason that he is doing everything except for contact is that the contact could kill him while he’s on blood thinners (and he will likely be on them permanently). He won’t be back.With his medical history and family medical history I don’t think he could ever find a doctor willing to medically clear him.

Kindly, sir, don't kill the messenger. I just quoted what the report said. I think in a past post I'm on record as saying I hope he doesn't play due to the risk to him. Please, sir, I don't wanna die at this time, I'm just the messenger.

Last edited:
If he's still got his parents he should quit full stop, there's nothing crueler than someone burying their son

I would agree unless there’s some medical development we’re unaware of right now.

Imagine preferring to live vs playing football

I don’t think it’s as simple as that for Trey which is why we’re still discussing the possibility of a return. Maybe it’s just speculation because he wants to remain around his teammates and continue to stay in shape.

"Offensive lineman Trey Smith continues to do full workouts, and sources say is doing extra technique reps with other offensive lineman. Smith continues to meet with doctors and prepare as if he’s cleared to to play this fall. No one is saying it’s definitely going to happen, but there continues to be growing optimism about his return to the field in August."

VQ

I would love to see him play again.... but only if there's no increased risk for him. Great kid. Tough breaks for him and UT that will hopefully be the objective of divine justice giving him great health from here on out.

I am not optimistic about him returning. Being in good shape has nothing to do with his condition with blood clots and the fact that he has been kept out of contact drills indicates that he is still on blood thinners.

"blood thinners"
I take blood pressure and an "81" aspirin pill and every time I bump an arm, I bruise. I have been told "you better be glad you are not on a blood thinner" by folks I know taking them. Now, what will the effect or impact on Trey be getting banged around in the game of football?

Reactions: VolNExile
Imagine you’ve been told at an early age you can’t play one of your favorite sports ever again due to the danger. Do you hang it up right away, or maybe make one final push for just a few more games? It has to be tough on his psyche.

I think that "that one "final push" was last year. I hope I'm wrong for many reasons. I am almost ashamed that one of them is so personal for my entertainment.

Reactions: Jack Burton
If Trey Smith is indeed able to return and is as healthy as coach Pruitt stated, he could potentially be a game changer for the Vols Oline

I don't think Jeremy Pruitt would have phrased it the way he did if he thought that Trey couldn't play. It would be unnecessary to say it that way if all signs didn't point to him being able to play, because it you disappoint the fan base.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If Trey Smith is indeed able to return and is as healthy as coach Pruitt stated, he could potentially be a game changer for the Vols Oline
If he just comes back at 3/4 of the capacity he played with his freshman year, we will have a major upgrade on our o-line. He was a freshman All-American and went beast mode on every single snap!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back