The “All Things Lifting/Gym Rat” Thread

I have. O usually mix it up. I’ll go through an entire container of pre-workout, then take a week off, not using any. I also don’t use the same brand every time. I really like the bucked up brand. I workout early in the morning, so im all about the beta alanine.

If you do use a pre-workout, o wouldn’t use anything with a high beta alanine after like 6 pm. Especially if you’re not used to using it
Thanks!

I asked in the other fitness thread, but I'll try here:

Anyone with experience using Bucked Up pre-workout supplements, or other beta alanine products?
I've seen it but never tried. Pre-workouts give me a major headache. I will usually have a cup of coffee on the way to the gym.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I asked in the other fitness thread, but I'll try here:

Anyone with experience using Bucked Up pre-workout supplements, or other beta alanine products?
Alpha Lion Super Human (hulk juice flavor)

You live in Knoxville? If so, go to Eddie’s health shoppe. Its on Kingston Pike in the shopping center that Books a million & Trader Joes. That’s where i get my stuff from. That guy knows his stuff and loves to answer questions. He will break down each ingredient & explain what their purpose is & how they work together. He’ll give you recommendations based on what your wanting

You live in Knoxville? If so, go to Eddie’s health shoppe. Its on Kingston Pike in the shopping center that Books a million & Trader Joes. That’s where i get my stuff from. That guy knows his stuff and loves to answer questions. He will break down each ingredient & explain what their purpose is & how they work together. He’ll give you recommendations based on what your wanting
Just get the juice bro.

Anyone else in here an addicted lifter?

How often do you go? What are you currently working on? What motivates you? What do you absolutely hate working out?

4x/week for me, hour to an hour and a half sessions. Currently on a cut down… and I absolutely despise cut downs…

I’ve reached that wonderful point where motivation is no longer a factor, nor necessary. I’m just full on addicted. I hate skipping gym nights, I feel like a slob. I live for the stress relief.

I despise working legs. I‘ll pretty much do anything to avoid it.

What about y’all?
Love doing legs. Prefer to run more fhan lift,

My health isnt best its ever been right now. But as soon as im healed up. Im back at it. Motivation has never been an issue.

I'm 40 and I've been dedicated lifting for 15 years. I was always really skinny with decent muscle quality but it was hard for me to get bigger until I got well into adulthood. I'm not "big" but I've done a lot with my narrow frame.

I've been out of the gym with a hernia since October. I had surgery last week and will get back in the gym next month. Can't wait. Besides intentional rest, shut downs, and vacation, I've been lifting at least 4x a week for these 15 years, and I stopped skipping leg day years ago. These few months have been really hard on me.

I graduated HS 6' 2" 155 lbs. When I started lifting I was a sloppy 180 lbs. Desk job helped things to get away from me. At my peak, I was a really lean 195 lbs, but that's too much work and diet discipline. Now I maintain a pretty lean 185 lbs with as little effort as possible. My workout sessions are 40 minutes, usually, a push, pull, legs, rest split. I found lots of diet hacks (please, ask me about them if you are looking for some). Etc.

You sound similar to me, except I have what they call "The Skinny Gene". I graduated at 6' 1.5" and was only 128 pounds soaking wet. Rail thin, could (and still can) eat anything I wanted and never gain an ounce. The only thing mesomorphic about me was my somewhat wider shoulders and rib cage. In my late 20's I have gained some weight by working a physical job and was about 140 pounds. I finally got sick of it and started lifting. Best decision I ever made. I am about 202 pounds now at 43 years old and actually look healthy and have for a while now. I actually have had muscle on me and weighed 180 pounds plus since my early 30's. Talk about making it a lot easier to find a girlfriend of my choosing! Lol.

I generally lift 4 to 6 days a week depending on whats going on.

Right now I do:

Day 1: Chest and triceps
Day 2: Back and biceps
Day 3 Legs
Day 4 Shoulders
Day 5 Rest day

Abdominals and calves every day except rest days, and mixing in an extra bicep and tricep work out a couple of times a week. Just a few sets though.

I mix up the routine though. Right now I am doing the 15 breaths workout. Every set except for my main power exercise I count 15 breaths after my last rep, then I do another set. Gets you done quick, and you then have time to add extra sets if you want. My main power exercises are flat bench barbell presses for chest, wide grip lat pulls for back (shoulder won't allow me to do chins right now), Barbell squats for legs, and behind the neck presses for shoulders.

Goal is to stack on a few more pounds then cut what fat I have from around my waist for the summer.

If you are ever in the Clinton, TN area check out Southern Fitness. Not too big, not too small, just right and they have everything you need. Plenty of free weights and plenty of machines.

If you are ever in the Clinton, TN area check out Southern Fitness. Not too big, not too small, just right and they have everything you need. Plenty of free weights and plenty of machines.

I’m in Powell and use Tennova. I love it. I usually lift around 7-8PM and it’s a ghost town.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I’m in Powell and use Tennova. I love it. I usually lift around 7-8PM and it’s a ghost town.
I get off at 8 from my fill time job, and our gym is pretty busy then. Saturday and Sunday are a little slower, but mon-fri is packed.

Anyone do Tonal? I have been using it for about 6 months and really like it. Pick your focus for the program and it does all the thinking for you and tons of variety. I do BCAAs before and during (Xtend watermelon) and as much protein (shakes and animal) as I can get. Really like the progress and gains. Try to manage carbs especially after 3pm.

I’m a evidence based physique coach that works with general population clients so I’m pretty consumed by it.

I train 5-6 days a week and stay pretty lean (sub 9%) most of the time. I tested at 6.2% with calipers for a photoshoot about 15 months ago and am currently about 10 pounds from that

I’m a evidence based physique coach that works with general population clients so I’m pretty consumed by it.

I train 5-6 days a week and stay pretty lean (sub 9%) most of the time. I tested at 6.2% with calipers for a photoshoot about 15 months ago and am currently about 10 pounds from that

Care to give me some advice? I’ve lost 60 pounds in about 8 months, but I’m having trouble losing the last 10 pounds or so that I want to lose. I’m currently at 168, and I want to get right under 160 to get to my ideal weight. I lift weights 3x a week. I do cardio 2 to 3x per week also, but for cardio, should I do Hiit or LiSS? I’ve heard that LiSS is better for burning fat, and I need to get rid of this stubborn lower belly fat. I’ve heard Hiit is good for burning fat too, and, well honestly, I’ve heard so much conflicting info that I don’t know what to do.

Care to give me some advice? I’ve lost 60 pounds in about 8 months, but I’m having trouble losing the last 10 pounds or so that I want to lose. I’m currently at 168, and I want to get right under 160 to get to my ideal weight. I lift weights 3x a week. I do cardio 2 to 3x per week also, but for cardio, should I do Hiit or LiSS? I’ve heard that LiSS is better for burning fat, and I need to get rid of this stubborn lower belly fat. I’ve heard Hiit is good for burning fat too, and, well honestly, I’ve heard so much conflicting info that I don’t know what to do.
Sure, I’d be glad to help. First of all, great work on the fat loss!

It ultimately comes down to what you can be consistent with. Both modes of cardio are fine. I prefer LISS due to lack of interference it has on my training. HIIT impacts recovery and sucks to do 😂. I’d rather get an hour on the treadmill at 3.2 MPH with a good podcast than 15 minutes of sprints that keep me from squatting for a week.

“Better” is a bit of a misnomer. There are slight differences but it comes down to energy expenditure vs intake.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Sure, I’d be glad to help. First of all, great work on the fat loss!

It ultimately comes down to what you can be consistent with. Both modes of cardio are fine. I prefer LISS due to lack of interference it has on my training. HIIT impacts recovery and sucks to do 😂. I’d rather get an hour on the treadmill at 3.2 MPH with a good podcast than 15 minutes of sprints that keep me from squatting for a week.

“Better” is a bit of a misnomer. There are slight differences but it comes down to energy expenditure vs intake.

Thanks so much! And I totally agree with you on the recovery. After lifting, HiiT can be difficult and vice versa. Yes, I’d much rather do LISS so I can burn calories without interfering with recovery. I usually try to maintain a heart rate between 120 and 130 when I walk uphill on the treadmill at 3.5 mph. The machine says at that pace I burn about 700 calories in an hour. I also like to mix it up with either the stair master or rowing machine as well. I just wish my results haven’t slowed down so much. I want to get rid of this stubborn belly fat. I’ve been stagnant for about 2 months now and it’s frustrating!

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Thanks so much! And I totally agree with you on the recovery. After lifting, HiiT can be difficult and vice versa. Yes, I’d much rather do LISS so I can burn calories without interfering with recovery. I usually try to maintain a heart rate between 120 and 130 when I walk uphill on the treadmill at 3.5 mph. The machine says at that pace I burn about 700 calories in an hour. I also like to mix it up with either the stair master or rowing machine as well. I just wish my results haven’t slowed down so much. I want to get rid of this stubborn belly fat. I’ve been stagnant for about 2 months now and it’s frustrating!
At your current weight, that is burning about 350 calories plus your BMR for that hour which sadly brings you to a total of maybe 425 calories. Manufacturers inflate those numbers to encourage machine usage.

I’m happy to give any advice you are looking for. If you want to get in touch to explore my coaching we can do that too, but it seems like you’ve done a great job on your own

At your current weight, that is burning about 350 calories plus your BMR for that hour which sadly brings you to a total of maybe 425 calories. Manufacturers inflate those numbers to encourage machine usage.

I’m happy to give any advice you are looking for. If you want to get in touch to explore my coaching we can do that too, but it seems like you’ve done a great job on your own

Only 350 calories, even while walking uphill, as steep as the treadmill allows me to go?

Are you still in Thailand?

Only 350 calories, even while walking uphill, as steep as the treadmill allows me to go?
The incline is a variation I didn’t account for, but it won’t make up that total difference. I could actually work that out with my algorithms but I’m mobile ATM

We are trying to get back for a few weeks in August. All our belongings are still there so we need to close that chapter
I hope your trip is good. It looks like things there are opening up some, It's an expensive time to ship personal effects but you already know that.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
The incline is a variation I didn’t account for, but it won’t make up that total difference. I could actually work that out with my algorithms but I’m mobile ATM

I’ve looked at several websites where you can calculate your calories burned from a workout. Most of them say with a 15% incline at 3.5 mph and my body weight, that would burn about 700-800 calories per hour.

I also calculated based on heart rate as well. My target heart rate is 128 bpm for LISS. If my heart stays there, the formula says I burn 692 calories in an hour.

VN Store

Back