The “All Things Lifting/Gym Rat” Thread

Do single leg presses on a leg press machine.

You're welcome.

They're the only leg workout I truly love. They're great because you can be your own spotter.

I like those.

What I'm doing right now is deep squats. I have some core issues (psoas) that I've been trying to repair for a couple years now, and it's slowly getting better. I decided deep squats with lightweight are the best way to go. I'm up to 185 x 10 after 6 weeks. I saw a chick do 225 x 10 on insta, which inspired me to pursue this. Going with lighter weight means I can just use the bumpers and can control it enough to avoid injury if I fail.

Then I go heavy on leg press after that, so I can hit my legs a totally different way. If I fail, I can just put my hands on my knees to push past the sticking point, although once 10 years ago I wasn't quick enough with this and got jacked up a little bit, so I have to be careful.

Then definitely some hamstring detail work, and a little bit of quad work and I'm out. Haven't worked calves in a year and they look amazing. I guess I lied when I said biceps were my best feature.

I'm wobbling to the car after leg day, and I never regret it, but half the time I don't wanna go and the other half I'm excited. LOL

Do single leg presses on a leg press machine.

You're welcome.

They're the only leg workout I truly love. They're great because you can be your own spotter.
Hacksaw squats are amazing at isolating glutes as well, but only about half of the gyms I've been to have the machine.

Heavy leg presses are a winner as well

Reactions: n_huffhines
I've been doing the Acid Gambit Phraks program. Got a friend that's a strength coach that teaches people along the same lines.

Basic barbell lifts, rotating give or take every other day 3x per week (bench, overhead press, row, weighted pullups, squat, deadlift). 3 sets, 5 reps (last set AMRAP), adding 2.5lb plates to each side the next day for each lift if you hit the 5 reps on the last set. I close each day with a finisher, usually setting the treadmill at 11-12 incline at 2.5 mph with a 45 lb dumbbell or plate switching hands for 10 mins. Basically an incline farmer's carry.

Two other days I do a core workout (15 mins) and a HIIT activity, and one day I do a run (30 mins). The last day is rest.

Every 4 weeks I deload, so I either do those same lifts at like 40-50% of max or I just do calisthenics.

Since we got back from Peru in February I've not lost a ton of pounds (about 5) but my body fat is dropping like mad and I'm repping what used to be maxes on everything. I'm only eating in a very moderate deficit as well.

We're doing a class at D1 Training starting in a few weeks for you guys. Three days a week at 7am, and it will be a pretty intensive class. Will be led by Bob Shoop's kid, Tyler, who was a WR at Penn State. Should be able to help you workout like you did when you were "in your prime" without hurting yourself.

Reactions: Vol8188
Glad you bumped this thread. Old man is trying to get back into it again

Every other back workout, I've been adding a 45 lb plate or two to a belt, then going to failure for 5 sets of pull-ups.

It has made a huge difference in the width of my lats, as well as how many pull-ups I can do

I really want to start doing this. Kind of plateau'd around 10 reps per set and I really want my own body weight to start feeling lighter.

I really want to start doing this. Kind of plateau'd around 10 reps per set and I really want my own body weight to start feeling lighter.
Definitely works that way; like dropping from 225 down to 185 on bench... Just makes it feel a lot lighter.

Will say that it really decreases strength for the remainder of your back workout. I don't get results that good from any other lat workout though.

I've been doing the Acid Gambit Phraks program. Got a friend that's a strength coach that teaches people along the same lines.

Basic barbell lifts, rotating give or take every other day 3x per week (bench, overhead press, row, weighted pullups, squat, deadlift). 3 sets, 5 reps (last set AMRAP), adding 2.5lb plates to each side the next day for each lift if you hit the 5 reps on the last set. I close each day with a finisher, usually setting the treadmill at 11-12 incline at 2.5 mph with a 45 lb dumbbell or plate switching hands for 10 mins. Basically an incline farmer's carry.

Two other days I do a core workout (15 mins) and a HIIT activity, and one day I do a run (30 mins). The last day is rest.

Every 4 weeks I deload, so I either do those same lifts at like 40-50% of max or I just do calisthenics.

Since we got back from Peru in February I've not lost a ton of pounds (about 5) but my body fat is dropping like mad and I'm repping what used to be maxes on everything. I'm only eating in a very moderate deficit as well.

I really don't understand doing cardio and lifts at the same time. On a cut I'm more cardio heavy, lighter reps, calorie deficit.

On a bulk I'm less cardio, heavier weights, calorie surplus.

It's great if it's working for you, I just really don't get how it works. Especially with calories, are you in a deficit or a surplus?

Edit: forgot to read the last part, I see you're in a slight deficit. So this is for a cut basically then.

I really don't understand doing cardio and lifts at the same time. On a cut I'm more cardio heavy, lighter reps, calorie deficit.

On a bulk I'm less cardio, heavier weights, calorie surplus.

It's great if it's working for you, I just really don't get how it works. Especially with calories, are you in a deficit or a surplus?

Edit: forgot to read the last part, I see you're in a slight deficit. So this is for a cut basically then.
Yeah, basically I'm cutting. The cardio is really limited to the HIIT- the 30 minute run is more relaxing than anything for me.

I’ve noticed that I need just as much rest for exercises like bicep curls or tricep extensions as I do with compound lifts. I actually feel more tired after tricep extensions than I do after bench press. It’s weird.

I’ve noticed that I need just as much rest for exercises like bicep curls or tricep extensions as I do with compound lifts. I actually feel more tired after tricep extensions than I do after bench press. It’s weird.
I worked triceps Thursday, same routine, and was so sore yesterday 🤣. It was hard to doy curl stuff.

Weekend of bad eating and bad drinking decisions makes today's lifts hard. Barely getting up 130 on OHP and 240 on squats. Reminder to eat well.

Weekend of bad eating and bad drinking decisions makes today's lifts hard. Barely getting up 130 on OHP and 240 on squats. Reminder to eat well.

I follow a fitness coach on IG that gave me a wake up call about weekends. She said it's totally fine to eat healthy during the week and cheat on weekends, but weekends are not a free for all. You can't just go crazy.

I cheat on weekends in the sense that I don't pay attention to macros, but I still stay within my calorie range. It's a nice middle ground and works great.

Saturdays used to be pizza and ice cream days. Which also made them "take a bunch of steps backwards" days.

Reactions: ButchPlz
I follow a fitness coach on IG that gave me a wake up call about weekends. She said it's totally fine to eat healthy during the week and cheat on weekends, but weekends are not a free for all. You can't just go crazy.

I cheat on weekends in the sense that I don't pay attention to macros, but I still stay within my calorie range. It's a nice middle ground and works great.

Saturdays used to be pizza and ice cream days. Which also made them "take a bunch of steps backwards" days.

I like to have a cheat meal once a week. I usually eat 4 meals a day. I discovered on the day when I have a cheat meal, I just need to eat 3 meals instead of 4. Then, my total calories for the day are about the same, maybe just a tiny bit higher.

It’s amazing what happens to me when I eat poorly.
I’m a body weight/yoga guy but feel very weak in the workout when my diet isn’t on point

It’s amazing what happens to me when I eat poorly.
I’m a body weight/yoga guy but feel very weak in the workout when my diet isn’t on point

What I've found to be amazing is how quickly you can lose strength. I was getting comfortable with 225 on the flat bench, 6-8 reps, took 2 weeks off for a vacation and came back to only getting 3-5 reps at most. Usually closer to 3. It's quite frustrating.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
What I've found to be amazing is how quickly you can lose strength. I was getting comfortable with 225 on the flat bench, 6-8 reps, took 2 weeks off for a vacation and came back to only getting 3-5 reps at most. Usually closer to 3. It's quite frustrating.
The older you get the faster it drops. But then you can get it back fairly quickly.

C1DFE54F-87B3-4D67-B769-35706E13436D.jpeg33224CF4-2342-434F-8AE5-154ED2CF283B.jpeg
Here are some handy 1 lb rubber plates I bought to put on dumbbells when I am ready to increase weight, but increasing by 5 pounds in each hand is too much.

When I went from 10 pound lateral raises at 12 reps per set to 15 pounds, I could only do 5 reps at 15 lbs. I like to do between 8 and 12 and increase the weight when I can do 13 reps. I thought, “If only they had 12.5 lb dumbbells.” Well, I looked online and found these. They have helped me a lot to increase weight where I’m not losing a ton of volume by dropping 6-7 reps per set. Instead of going from 12 reps to 5 or 6, I’m going from 12 to 8 or 9. Also, instead of feeling apprehensive about increasing weight, I now look forward to it.

View attachment 548463View attachment 548464
Here are some handy 1 lb rubber plates I bought to put on dumbbells when I am ready to increase weight, but increasing by 5 pounds in each hand is too much.

When I went from 10 pound lateral raises at 12 reps per set to 15 pounds, I could only do 5 reps at 15 lbs. I like to do between 8 and 12 and increase the weight when I can do 13 reps. I thought, “If only they had 12.5 lb dumbbells.” Well, I looked online and found these. They have helped me a lot to increase weight where I’m not losing a ton of volume by dropping 6-7 reps per set. Instead of going from 12 reps to 5 or 6, I’m going from 12 to 8 or 9. Also, instead of feeling apprehensive about increasing weight, I now look forward to it.
I had to get a bulk pack of 6 2.5lb plates for barbells to do my incremental increases. Really a lifesaver.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
He’s kind of cheesy, but AthleanX on YouTube has a lot of great videos. Used to train WWE wrestlers, NFL guys etc explains the why behind everything… down to how to properly grip the bar/dumbbell- whatever it may be. Definitely worth checking out if you’re looking for ideas without hiring someone.

VN Store

Back