The “All Things Lifting/Gym Rat” Thread

nicksjuzunk

Can you pass the mustard?
I’ve looked at several websites where you can calculate your calories burned from a workout. Most of them say with a 15% incline at 3.5 mph and my body weight, that would burn about 700-800 calories per hour.

I also calculated based on heart rate as well. My target heart rate is 128 bpm for LISS. If my heart stays there, the formula says I burn 692 calories in an hour.
So I ran numbers and the exercise burns approximately 611 calories. Your BMR added to that probably puts you right around the 692 you started. Surprisingly good estimate you had there. Those things are notoriously inaccurate.

I pull my data from the exercise compendium and have that plugged into my spreadsheet s that I use for my clients, if you were wondering how I come to my conclusions. I used a MET off8.0 for your exercise

https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/mss/a/mss_43_8_2011_06_13_ainsworth_202093_sdc1.pdf

KoachKrab127

So I ran numbers and the exercise burns approximately 611 calories. Your BMR added to that probably puts you right around the 692 you started. Surprisingly good estimate you had there. Those things are notoriously inaccurate.

I pull my data from the exercise compendium and have that plugged into my spreadsheet s that I use for my clients, if you were wondering how I come to my conclusions. I used a MET off8.0 for your exercise

https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/mss/a/mss_43_8_2011_06_13_ainsworth_202093_sdc1.pdf
Thanks so much for all the info!

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I'm 40 and I've been dedicated lifting for 15 years. I was always really skinny with decent muscle quality but it was hard for me to get bigger until I got well into adulthood. I'm not "big" but I've done a lot with my narrow frame.

I've been out of the gym with a hernia since October. I had surgery last week and will get back in the gym next month. Can't wait. Besides intentional rest, shut downs, and vacation, I've been lifting at least 4x a week for these 15 years, and I stopped skipping leg day years ago. These few months have been really hard on me.

I graduated HS 6' 2" 155 lbs. When I started lifting I was a sloppy 180 lbs. Desk job helped things to get away from me. At my peak, I was a really lean 195 lbs, but that's too much work and diet discipline. Now I maintain a pretty lean 185 lbs with as little effort as possible. My workout sessions are 40 minutes, usually, a push, pull, legs, rest split. I found lots of diet hacks (please, ask me about them if you are looking for some). Etc.
Update on PT and surgery recovery, I've been making good progress. Next week I'm aiming to deadlift and squat my weight x 10-15 reps. Prett big milestone for me. For 5+ years, every time I've ever tried to work on dead lift I'd run into an injury (either doing dead lifts or something random). Even though my back isn't 100%, I'm confident I can prevent injury applying what I learned in PT.

PEPPERJAX

Let's Do A Ritual....
Update on PT and surgery recovery, I've been making good progress. Next week I'm aiming to deadlift and squat my weight x 10-15 reps. Prett big milestone for me. For 5+ years, every time I've ever tried to work on dead lift I'd run into an injury (either doing dead lifts or something random). Even though my back isn't 100%, I'm confident I can prevent injury applying what I learned in PT.
Hope you have a speedy recovery getting back to 100%. Hit the weights as hard as you can bro.

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
I hit my weight x 15, but then I gave up on deadlifts. Too many people saying it's not worth the risk to anyone, unless you compete in something that requires deadlifting. Originally my goal was to eventually double my body weight x 15, but I guess I'll just try a squat goal. Shooting for 315 x 15

knox-townVOL

First of his name
I hit my weight x 15, but then I gave up on deadlifts. Too many people saying it's not worth the risk to anyone, unless you compete in something that requires deadlifting. Originally my goal was to eventually double my body weight x 15, but I guess I'll just try a squat goal. Shooting for 315 x 15
Im jealous of y’all that can do squats and deadlifts. The head sway makes me too dizzy, I have to do more stationary stuff like leg presses unfortunately.

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Im jealous of y’all that can do squats and deadlifts. The head sway makes me too dizzy, I have to do more stationary stuff like leg presses unfortunately.
I actually have had problems with squats in the past but I think I got it now. Somewhere along the line I forgot you're supposed to look up, and remembering that helped a lot. The biggest thing for me was I was always trying to have my legs perfectly even until my buddy told me to stand as if I were trying to max vertically leap. So now I stand with my right foot forward a couple inches, and I feel stronger and my knees and hips feel less stress.

SpaceCoastVol

I identify as vaccinated
Whenever I am at home, my wife makes me go to the gym and do about 45 minutes if elliptical training everyday. It's good for me, and I always feel better when I am done but I hate every minute of it. She does more, but then I go and lift. I hit an all time high bench of 280 and 3 reps not too long ago, and that made me feel pretty damned good. I'm almost 62.

Oh, and I eat too much.

VN Store