The “All Things Lifting/Gym Rat” Thread

I’ve looked at several websites where you can calculate your calories burned from a workout. Most of them say with a 15% incline at 3.5 mph and my body weight, that would burn about 700-800 calories per hour.

I also calculated based on heart rate as well. My target heart rate is 128 bpm for LISS. If my heart stays there, the formula says I burn 692 calories in an hour.
So I ran numbers and the exercise burns approximately 611 calories. Your BMR added to that probably puts you right around the 692 you started. Surprisingly good estimate you had there. Those things are notoriously inaccurate.

I pull my data from the exercise compendium and have that plugged into my spreadsheet s that I use for my clients, if you were wondering how I come to my conclusions. I used a MET off8.0 for your exercise

https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/mss/a/mss_43_8_2011_06_13_ainsworth_202093_sdc1.pdf

So I ran numbers and the exercise burns approximately 611 calories. Your BMR added to that probably puts you right around the 692 you started. Surprisingly good estimate you had there. Those things are notoriously inaccurate.

I pull my data from the exercise compendium and have that plugged into my spreadsheet s that I use for my clients, if you were wondering how I come to my conclusions. I used a MET off8.0 for your exercise

https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/mss/a/mss_43_8_2011_06_13_ainsworth_202093_sdc1.pdf

Thanks so much for all the info!

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
I'm 40 and I've been dedicated lifting for 15 years. I was always really skinny with decent muscle quality but it was hard for me to get bigger until I got well into adulthood. I'm not "big" but I've done a lot with my narrow frame.

I've been out of the gym with a hernia since October. I had surgery last week and will get back in the gym next month. Can't wait. Besides intentional rest, shut downs, and vacation, I've been lifting at least 4x a week for these 15 years, and I stopped skipping leg day years ago. These few months have been really hard on me.

I graduated HS 6' 2" 155 lbs. When I started lifting I was a sloppy 180 lbs. Desk job helped things to get away from me. At my peak, I was a really lean 195 lbs, but that's too much work and diet discipline. Now I maintain a pretty lean 185 lbs with as little effort as possible. My workout sessions are 40 minutes, usually, a push, pull, legs, rest split. I found lots of diet hacks (please, ask me about them if you are looking for some). Etc.

Update on PT and surgery recovery, I've been making good progress. Next week I'm aiming to deadlift and squat my weight x 10-15 reps. Prett big milestone for me. For 5+ years, every time I've ever tried to work on dead lift I'd run into an injury (either doing dead lifts or something random). Even though my back isn't 100%, I'm confident I can prevent injury applying what I learned in PT.

Update on PT and surgery recovery, I've been making good progress. Next week I'm aiming to deadlift and squat my weight x 10-15 reps. Prett big milestone for me. For 5+ years, every time I've ever tried to work on dead lift I'd run into an injury (either doing dead lifts or something random). Even though my back isn't 100%, I'm confident I can prevent injury applying what I learned in PT.

Hope you have a speedy recovery getting back to 100%. Hit the weights as hard as you can bro.

I hit my weight x 15, but then I gave up on deadlifts. Too many people saying it's not worth the risk to anyone, unless you compete in something that requires deadlifting. Originally my goal was to eventually double my body weight x 15, but I guess I'll just try a squat goal. Shooting for 315 x 15

I hit my weight x 15, but then I gave up on deadlifts. Too many people saying it's not worth the risk to anyone, unless you compete in something that requires deadlifting. Originally my goal was to eventually double my body weight x 15, but I guess I'll just try a squat goal. Shooting for 315 x 15

Im jealous of y’all that can do squats and deadlifts. The head sway makes me too dizzy, I have to do more stationary stuff like leg presses unfortunately.

Im jealous of y’all that can do squats and deadlifts. The head sway makes me too dizzy, I have to do more stationary stuff like leg presses unfortunately.

I actually have had problems with squats in the past but I think I got it now. Somewhere along the line I forgot you're supposed to look up, and remembering that helped a lot. The biggest thing for me was I was always trying to have my legs perfectly even until my buddy told me to stand as if I were trying to max vertically leap. So now I stand with my right foot forward a couple inches, and I feel stronger and my knees and hips feel less stress.

Whenever I am at home, my wife makes me go to the gym and do about 45 minutes if elliptical training everyday. It's good for me, and I always feel better when I am done but I hate every minute of it. She does more, but then I go and lift. I hit an all time high bench of 280 and 3 reps not too long ago, and that made me feel pretty damned good. I'm almost 62.

Oh, and I eat too much.

I joined a gym at the beginning of 2023, and I've been lifting weights 3x a week. I have 2 different workouts that I alternate each gym visit.

Workout A:
Deadlifts
Dumb Bell Bench Press
Dumb Bell Bicep Curls
Tricep Extensions (Cable)
Seated Rows (Cable)

Workout B:
Walking Lunges
Dumb Bell Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown (Cable)
Calf Raises
Chest Fly (Machine)

I do 3 sets of each exercise, trying to take each set very close to failure, except on deadlifts. On deadlifts, I do 5 sets, gradually increasing the weight on each set, lifting heavy only on the last set. I try to get somewhere between 8 and 12 reps on each set. I rest for about 3-4 minutes between each set. If I am able to do more than 12 reps, I increase the weight on that exercise for the next gym visit. Usually on the first day when I have increased weight, I can do about 8 or 9 reps on my first attempt, so it works out pretty well.

My main goal right now is to grow my upper body. My arms have always been very skinny, even when compared to my lower body. I have never been very proportional. So I'm not too concerned about growing my lower body, more concerned about muscular endurance down there. Of course, I want those muscles to get stronger, but I'm not trying to grow them as fast as my upper body. Since starting this routine, I have gained 5 pounds, my biceps have gotten about 1 inch bigger, my chest and back are noticeably more defined, and I have definitely gotten stronger.

PROGRESS:
When I started in January, I started with very light weight and increased each session. I didn't start taking sets to failure until mid February. Here has been my progress since then:

Bench:
Feb - 35 lbs in each hand
Today - 50 lbs in each hand

Bicep Curl:
Feb - 20 lbs in each hand
Today - 30 lbs in each hand

Tricep Ext. Cable:
Feb - 45 lbs
Today - 60 lbs

Seated Rows Cable:
Feb - 95 lbs
Today - 110 lbs

Shoulder Press:
Feb - 25 lbs in each hand
Today - 35 lbs in each hand

Lat Pulldown:
Feb - 110 lbs
Today - 135 lbs

Calf Raises:
Feb - 180 lbs
Today - 230 lbs
*I usually do 12-15 reps on this exercise, since this is a smaller muscle.

Chest Fly:
Feb - 105 lbs
Today - 130 lbs

I've definitely enjoyed the challenge, and I'm pleased with my progress so far. I hope I stay motivated and healthy to continue.

I joined a gym at the beginning of 2023, and I've been lifting weights 3x a week. I have 2 different workouts that I alternate each gym visit.

Workout A:
Deadlifts
Dumb Bell Bench Press
Dumb Bell Bicep Curls
Seated Rows (Cable)

Workout B:
Walking Lunges
Dumb Bell Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown (Cable)
Calf Raises
Chest Fly (Machine)

I do 3 sets of each exercise, trying to take each set very close to failure, except on deadlifts. On deadlifts, I do 5 sets, gradually increasing the weight on each set, lifting heavy only on the last set. I try to get somewhere between 8 and 12 reps on each set. I rest for about 3-4 minutes between each set. If I am able to do more than 12 reps, I increase the weight on that exercise for the next gym visit. Usually on the first day when I have increased weight, I can do about 8 or 9 reps on my first attempt, so it works out pretty well.

My main goal right now is to grow my upper body. My arms have always been very skinny, even when compared to my lower body. I have never been very proportional. So I'm not too concerned about growing my lower body, more concerned about muscular endurance down there. Of course, I want those muscles to get stronger, but I'm not trying to grow them as fast as my upper body. Since starting this routine, I have gained 5 pounds, my biceps have gotten about 1 inch bigger, my chest and back are noticeably more defined, and I have definitely gotten stronger.

PROGRESS:
When I started in January, I started with very light weight and increased each session. I didn't start taking sets to failure until mid February. Here has been my progress since then:

Bench:

Bicep Curl:

Tricep Ext. Cable:
Feb - 45 lbs
Today - 60 lbs

Seated Rows Cable:
Feb - 95 lbs
Today - 110 lbs

Shoulder Press:

Lat Pulldown:
Feb - 110 lbs
Today - 135 lbs

Calf Raises:
Feb - 180 lbs
Today - 230 lbs

Chest Fly:
Feb - 105 lbs
Today - 130 lbs

I've definitely enjoyed the challenge, and I'm pleased with my progress so far. I hope I stay motivated and healthy to continue.

I do the very same thing with 8-12. I try to go 12, 10, 8, all to failure, then go lower weight to burn out.

Once I can get 12, 12, 10 on a set, it's time to move the weight up.

Your split is a bit odd, but it sounds like it's working for you. Nice work.

Reactions: KoachKrab127

Workout A:
Deadlifts
Dumb Bell Bench Press
Dumb Bell Bicep Curls
Seated Rows (Cable)

Workout B:
Walking Lunges
Dumb Bell Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown (Cable)
Calf Raises
Chest Fly (Machine)

PROGRESS:

Bench:

Bicep Curl:

Tricep Ext. Cable:
Feb - 45 lbs
Today - 60 lbs

Seated Rows Cable:
Feb - 95 lbs
Today - 110 lbs

Shoulder Press:

Lat Pulldown:
Feb - 110 lbs
Today - 135 lbs

Calf Raises:
Feb - 180 lbs
Today - 230 lbs

Chest Fly:
Feb - 105 lbs
Today - 130 lbs

You can get growth, even when you don't think you can. I had always focused on arms, then chest. Not so much to get big, just toned. Last year I started working on shoulders, and back, hadn't never really done that before. Out of curiosity, I had my wife take pictures when I started, and about every 3 months. It blew my mind how much change I saw, especially because of my age, I'm 47. I never thought I'd see change, but I did. I'm more focused on just staying in shape and toned, but I do like seeing a difference.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
I started doing time under tension lifts about 3 months ago, still full body routines every other day, and I started an intermittent fasting/low carb diet about the same time. I got a Peloton for Christmas and ride on the other days, which has resulted in surprising growth of my leg muscles. The diet change (and more intense cardio?) have helped me to shed 13 pounds of fat and 7 cm around the waist. My goal is abs by summer....

I do the very same thing with 8-12. I try to go 12, 10, 8, all to failure, then go lower weight to burn out.

Once I can get 12, 12, 10 on a set, it's time to move the weight up.

Your split is a bit odd, but it sounds like it's working for you. Nice work.

Why is my split odd?

Why is my split odd?

You are currently:

Legs
Chest
Biceps
Triceps
Back

Followed by

Legs
Shoulders
Back
Legs
Chest

Just a bit odd. Most people do push one day, pull another day. So like:

Workout A (all pull motions):
Back
Biceps
Legs

Workout B (all push motions):
Chest
Shoulders
Triceps
Different leg workout

But again yours seems to be working, it's just not typical.

You are currently:

Legs
Chest
Biceps
Triceps
Back

Followed by

Legs
Shoulders
Back
Legs
Chest

Just a bit odd. Most people do push one day, pull another day. So like:

Workout A (all pull motions):
Back
Biceps
Legs

Workout B (all push motions):
Chest
Shoulders
Triceps
Different leg workout

But again yours seems to be working, it's just not typical.

Gotcha. Yeah, I like to do total body workouts since I only go 3 times a week. I’m going on a cruise this summer. I’ll be taking a break that week from lifting. After that, I might restructure my workout. But I do like the results on this split.

Gotcha. Yeah, I like to do total body workouts since I only go 3 times a week. I’m going on a cruise this summer. I’ll be taking a break that week from lifting. After that, I might restructure my workout. But I do like the results on this split.

I don't think your split was weird at all. Sometimes I'm in a mode where I want to work detail, and I do something like you had, but I probably wouldn't do something like that (dedicate a whole day to biceps) for an extended period. Partly because my bi's and tri's don't need as much work as my back and chest, and those are bigger muscle groups. It's hard to justify giving biceps a whole day when it's probably my best feature already.

Other times I'll do a push, pull, legs, rest split like knox-town was saying. I'm actually doing a hybrid right now, where it's

Chest & Delts
Back
Legs
Arms
Rest

Since Jan I've been lifting twice a week for an hour with a trainer and we go:

Back/Biceps
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders/abs
Legs

Then just rotate through. Keeping a track of weight loss in the weigh in thread and down 25lb since Jan. Leg day is my worst, we've just started mixing in a bit of full body workouts to.

Since Jan I've been lifting twice a week for an hour with a trainer and we go:

Back/Biceps
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders/abs
Legs

Then just rotate through. Keeping a track of weight loss in the weigh in thread and down 25lb since Jan. Leg day is my worst, we've just started mixing in a bit of full body workouts to.

Leg day is best/worst day.

Every other back workout, I've been adding a 45 lb plate or two to a belt, then going to failure for 5 sets of pull-ups.

It has made a huge difference in the width of my lats, as well as how many pull-ups I can do

My back is my weakest point. I have scoliosis and I'm almost straight up and down from my hips to my armpits, despite having muscular lats. I can't really change anything structurally, all I can do is make it look muscular. It sucks. I would kill for that V-cut look, but I guess I can't complain. I mostly got dealt a good hand.

Partly, I've stayed serious about lifting for 16 years now because I'm afraid of how my scoliosis will degenerate if I stop. In HS I had stangers diagnose me with scoliosis while I was wearing a shirt. Nobody's said **** to me in 2 decades, so I feel like it must be helping.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver
My back is my weakest point. I have scoliosis and I'm almost straight up and down from my hips to my armpits, despite having muscular lats. I can't really change anything structurally, all I can do is make it look muscular. It sucks. I would kill for that V-cut look, but I guess I can't complain. I mostly got dealt a good hand.

Partly, I've stayed serious about lifting for 16 years now because I'm afraid of how my scoliosis will degenerate if I stop. In HS I had stangers diagnose me with scoliosis while I was wearing a shirt. Nobody's said **** to me in 2 decades, so I feel like it must be helping.
The fact that you've weight training as a preventative measure against the scoliosis is awesome! I always feel out of alignment when I am not consistently working out.

I think I have too much curvature at the bottom of my back, but I don't seem to have issues when I hit core properly and stretch/decompress my spine.

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back