Texas A&M/SEC megamerge thread extravaganza

I'm all for the SEC driving this bus of expansion. I'm fine with A&M and personally think their the most logical step one. I am worried about conferences fracturing late in the game after we've picked all the supposedly eligible teams on our way to 16z say for example UNC and NCState. I'm also a little bummed FL would puss on FL State when they already play them anyway especially if we end up taking dregs like TT.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would be embarrassed if Va Tech became a member.

I've read all the possibles by commentators and people here and VT is near the top of the rest of the toads when you figure no teams in states where we already have members. That cuts things waaaaay back. Mizzou is more embarrassing, how are they south east or even south or east?

I've read all the possibles by commentators and people here and VT is near the top of the rest of the toads when you figure no teams in states where we already have members. That cuts things waaaaay back. Mizzou is more embarrassing, how are they south east or even south or east?

They're close enough to the southeast and as ive mentioned before, this isn't World Geography.

Also both are pretty much southern culture, if you've ever go to either you'd see (Missouri's about just as much as Arky is most of it is pretty much a southern state in all but name (I think it's the "gateway to the west" that makes people assume the culture's otherwise)

Mizzou is more of a big 10 team imo...I would take UNC and NCST before VT....They bring nothing to the table.

Why are some UT fans ****ting their pants about Texas A&M coming into the league if they are such a non-factor?

Seems to me they are ranked higher than we are at this very moment and have played better football over the last 5 years

They are better than Miss. St, Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Piss

The rivalry angle is pure BS

No way in hell we will lose the 3rd Saturday in October
No way in hell they get rid of the Iron Bowl, or Egg Bowl, or any of the traditional rivalries.

But the rivalry angle is not BS, not at all. It's 14 teams now and everyone seems to take it for granted that there will be 16 in short order. They're going to have to go into a room and try to figure out how to turn that into divisions and a scheduling system. There are going to be budgetary concerns, competitive concerns, political concerns, etc etc etc. It's going to be a mess and whatever they walk out of that room with is going to be a patchwork of compromises. I just don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to be able to keep every one of the conference's ten or so serious, traditional rivalry games intact every year, even if they go to 9 conference games. Especially with the inevitable 16 teams.

I'm not saying they won't figure out a way to make it happen; I'm just saying it's reasonable to be concerned about it until we hear otherwise. Breaking up Oklahoma-Nebraska was once unthinkable too, but the Big 12 did it anyway.

The most elegant solution would be to go to four divisions, allowing for a permanent opponent or two and nice rotation among everybody else, and then strongarming the NCAA into letting them add an extra game as a conference semifinal. Don't really see it though.

Last edited:
But the rivalry angle is not BS, not at all. It's 14 teams now and everyone seems to take it for granted that there will be 16 in short order. They're going to have to go into a room and try to figure out how to turn that into divisions and a scheduling system. There are going to be budgetary concerns, competitive concerns, political concerns, etc etc etc. It's going to be a mess and whatever they walk out of that room with is going to be a patchwork of compromises. I just don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to be able to keep every one of the conference's ten or so serious, traditional rivalry games intact every year, even if they go to 9 conference games. Especially with the inevitable 16 teams.

I'm not saying they won't figure out a way to make it happen; I'm just saying it's reasonable to be concerned about it until we hear otherwise. Breaking up Oklahoma-Nebraska was once unthinkable too, but the Big 12 did it anyway.

It can be done with a 14 team conference, by dropping a non-conference game. 16 teams... don't see it happening. Doubt we'd dwindle non-conference down to 2.

Mizzou is more of a big 10 team imo...I would take UNC and NCST before VT....They bring nothing to the table.

I agree but having lived in NC most of my life I see those schools being a core for the ACC. I may be wrong but I'd wager the ACC would have to explode before UNC and NC state bolt.

I agree but having lived in NC most of my life I see those schools being a core for the ACC. I may be wrong but I'd wager the ACC would have to explode before UNC and NC state bolt.

pretty much yeah, that'd have to happen

Verci,

I think you are one of the most solid posters and my angst is not aimed at you personally

I am just getting really tired of the incessant *****ing and moaning that has permeated the UT fanbase.

It isn't just the UT fanbase. It's everyone on the internet. Pick a sports site that supports any team in any sport that didn't win a championship LAST YEAR and you're going to find incessant *****ing and moaning.

Hell, even that's not necessarily true. I found myself somehow reading a San Francisco Giants forum a couple of weeks ago and you would have thought you were reading posts by Cubs fans rather than by guys whose WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS shirts don't even have frigging stains in the pits yet.

my vote is to not take A&M.....too damn complicated

We've reached a point in college football where the "there will eventually and inevitably be four 16-team super conferences" meme has become self-fulfilling. I don't even know that anybody anywhere actually WANTS to see it happen; it's just that nobody wants to be the fourth superconference, trying to fill out its slots with refugees from the Big East. You have to jump right in at the start or you get the dregs.

It isn't just the UT fanbase. It's everyone on the internet. Pick a sports site that supports any team in any sport that didn't win a championship LAST YEAR and you're going to find incessant *****ing and moaning.

Hell, even that's not necessarily true. I found myself somehow reading a San Francisco Giants forum a couple of weeks ago and you would have thought you were reading posts by Cubs fans rather than by guys whose WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS shirts don't even have frigging stains in the pits yet.

Believe me, it's a painful time to be a Giants fan. :sad:

VT might be an interesting rivalry with aTm with the whole student cadet thing. (Random, I know.) (Plus they keep saying that they're not interested.)

We've reached a point in college football where the "there will eventually and inevitably be four 16-team super conferences" meme has become self-fulfilling. I don't even know that anybody anywhere actually WANTS to see it happen; it's just that nobody wants to be the fourth superconference, trying to fill out its slots with refugees from the Big East. You have to jump right in at the start or you get the dregs.

If that group of super conferences seceded from the ncaa for football, I'd be all for it.

The assumption is that if two teams move in from the west, Auburn would move to the east, and they would want to maintain the Iron Bowl as well as the Georgia rivalry.
If Auburn moved East, they wouldn't need a cross division game to maintain the Georgia rivalry.

Last edited:
If Auburn moved East, they wouldn't need a cross division game to maintain the Georgia rivalry?

People say that would just lead to a destruction of UT/bama because the iron bowl "obviously must take precedence"...like the conference would put themselves in that position either

My opinion: move miss St or ole miss

Last edited:
If Auburn moved East, they wouldn't need a cross division game to maintain the Georgia rivalry?

But also if Auburn moves to the East that ensures the death of our series with Bama. They aren't going to have 2 cross-division rivalries, and the Iron Bowl is probably the most untouchable rivalry in the conference right now. It's not going anywhere.

But also if Auburn moves to the East that ensures the death of our series with Bama. They aren't going to have 2 cross-division rivalries, and the Iron Bowl is probably the most untouchable rivalry in the conference right now. It's not going anywhere.

yeah, you don't know that either

If anything they should move Bama to the east, and then if they were able to keep a locked opponent from the other division, the Iron Bowl could still be played, and UT/Bama could play each year as well since they would be in the same division.

However, I do realize the geography of the state of Alabama, and it's unlikely that Bama could move to the east while Auburn stays in the west.

yeah, you don't know that either

If they do that, the rotating opponents would come up so rarely on the schedule it would be like they were barely even in your conference. Under that setup, you would be talking about rotating 6 teams, so you'd play a home and home with LSU for example, and then it would be a full decade before you saw them again. That's assuming you get the schools to sign off on a 9 game conference schedule, which is far from a given. Like the article said, school complain about bye weeks not being structured fairly in a given year, so I wouldn't just assume that they would be cool with a schedule where half the teams play an additional home game.

If anything they should move Bama to the east, and then if they were able to keep a locked opponent from the other division, the Iron Bowl could still be played, and UT/Bama could play each year as well since they would be in the same division.

However, I do realize the geography of the state of Alabama, and it's unlikely that Bama could move to the east while Auburn stays in the west.

Auburn - UGA is an older rivalry than "The 3rd Saturday in October"

VN Store

Back