Texas A&M/SEC megamerge thread extravaganza

Auburn - UGA is an older rivalry than "The 3rd Saturday in October"

Longer running, but in terms of what it means to the fans of the respective schools, I don't think it even compares. Most UT fans over the age of 25 consider Alabama the biggest game on the schedule in a given year, and to Bama fans the game is equal with the Iron Bowl or a close second. I don't think many UGA or Auburn fans think of each other as even a top 2 rivalry on their schedule.

nothing is going to be perfect. there are choices that are going to have to be made that are going to result in something that is not the optimum scenario.

the main choice will probably be to keep rivalries or to have a situation where when school plays another conference school rarely.

bleedorange, i meant to convey to you that i understand your pain. at some point, the decision was made to have two rotating opponents instead of one. when that happened, the florida-auburn rivalry was destroyed. to florida fans, it was a very big deal.

florida and auburn played each other yearly since 1927 (except a couple of years due to WWII) and then....poof.....it was gone.

so, i know what you are worried about and it is legitimate. but, again, i really, really, really have a hard time believing that alabama-tennessee will end.

nothing is going to be perfect. there are choices that are going to have to be made that are going to result in something that is not the optimum scenario.

the main choice will probably be to keep rivalries or to have a situation where when school plays another conference school rarely.

bleedorange, i meant to convey to you that i understand your pain. at some point, the decision was made to have two rotating opponents instead of one. when that happened, the florida-auburn rivalry was destroyed. to florida fans, it was a very big deal.

florida and auburn played each other yearly since 1927 (except a couple of years due to WWII) and then....poof.....it was gone.

so, i know what you are worried about and it is legitimate. but, again, i really, really, really have a hard time believing that alabama-tennessee will end.

If you are to believe the Clay Travis article that the scheduling matters will be left to a simple majority vote, then fans of the UT/Bama rivalry should flat out be terrified right now. You would basically have 4 schools (UT, Bama, UGA and Auburn) who would probably want to preserve the cross-division yearly rivalries and either 10 or 12 who could care less. If they are more interested in near-unanimity, like they supposedly are with adding teams to the league, then there's a little more room for optimism.

the other thing to remember is that with change new developments occur.

auburn-lsu, lsu-arkansas, georgia-south carolina, florida-tennessee, tennessee-georgia are all either new rivalries or rivalries where the heat has been turned up tremendously due to expansion.

by the way......a little fyi......the a&m site which has been very, very, very good with all of this (in terms of accuracy of reporting how and when) is now posting something new.

their head reporter (again, who's been remarkably good) has posted that he has sources saying that slive has a 14th team (eastern school) in his hip pocket (school not named) but that there has been a flurry of activity including from other schools currently in the big 12 (schools not named) that have been making overtures to the sec office. the sec is holding off on the 14th because some of these other schools making overtures may be more appealing.

TIFWIW

by the way......a little fyi......the a&m site which has been very, very, very good with all of this (in terms of accuracy of reporting how and when) is now posting something new.

their head reporter (again, who's been remarkably good) has posted that he has sources saying that slive has a 14th team (eastern school) in his hip pocket (school not named) but that there has been a flurry of activity including from other schools currently in the big 12 (schools not named) that have been making overtures to the sec office. the sec is holding off on the 14th because some of these other schools making overtures may be more appealing.

TIFWIW

Hm. Interesting.

Have a link? Not a dig on you, I just can't find it.

the other thing to remember is that with change new developments occur.

auburn-lsu, lsu-arkansas, georgia-south carolina, florida-tennessee, tennessee-georgia are all either new rivalries or rivalries where the heat has been turned up tremendously due to expansion.
Just my opinion, but I'd gladly give up both Georgia and Florida if it was needed to play Bama every year.

TIFWIW

which aTm site are you referring to? aggieyell (their rivals site)?

Surely if this is true, that eastern team won't remain unknown for too much longer...

Techsideline, Va Tech's free forum, is rumbling pretty hard about some SEC rumors. Apparently, Tech's registered the domain name sec.vt.edu, and there will be meetings on September 13th and 14th.

Probably texags.com, I would think.

Those were my thoughts as well. FYI, Looch (who owns the site) has a paid subscription service to TexAgs where he shares more inside stuff. It's possible that's where it might reside.

But more to the point, while none of the forums can claim 100% accuracy, TexAgs information is more credible than others. I say that as one who has followed that site for 12 years.

Techsideline, Va Tech's free forum, is rumbling pretty hard about some SEC rumors. Apparently, Tech's registered the domain name sec.vt.edu, and there will be meetings on September 13th and 14th.

Student Engineer's Council @ Virginia Tech :)

I would love for it to be VT though, really need a NC school to wrap of the entire Southeast.

Student Engineer's Council @ Virginia Tech :)

I would love for it to be VT though, really need a NC school to wrap of the entire Southeast.

Good one. But really, I think that's in regards to the conference.

I believe Tech's going to look at and weigh the pros and cons of joining at their own pace.

Guesses on who the overtures would be from the big 12?

Logically not ideally I see a&m and VT as the 14's and after that I have no idea because you either have to get teams outside the typical region or breakup NC. I almost see MD, WF, or duke coming before a UNC school.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

the a&m website i have been following is their scout website. their main writer is a guy with a username of "hop".

because of how big the story of expansion has been, they have been posting stuff on the free side of their website.

i have been following the coverage from "hop" and another moderator and they have been damn near dead on with regard to everything since this whole thing started.

the a&m website i have been following is their scout website. their main writer is a guy with a username of "hop".

because of how big the story of expansion has been, they have been posting stuff on the free side of their website.

i have been following the coverage from "hop" and another moderator and they have been damn near dead on with regard to everything since this whole thing started.

Liucci's been pretty accurate thus far, as well.

One more move and Big 12 is over

So the SEC would get Texas A&M while the PAC-12 gets Texas and Oklahoma? Funny how the conference acting first isn't getting the best of that deal.

Wasn't the issue with the Longhorn Network that they didn't want it to be one of those regional networks? Why would Texas change now? Texas is riddled with arrogance, despite their losing situation.

Texas will not end up in the Pac-12.

texas will either be able to keep the big 12 together in some form or will go independent.

:lolabove:

Great now the SEC would passed by the Pac-12 if this were to happen.

At least we got those Aggies! And their "TV Dollars." :eek:lol:

are you saying that you really believe the members of the sec will lose money after expansion?

i just want to make sure i understand you correctly.

I'm saying people here who think the money will come flooding in no matter what the SEC does because WE'RE THE SEC!! are assuming too much.

Depending on how things shake out, we could very easily end up the #3 conference as far as TV money goes.

VN Store

Back