Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

another reason i don’t get texas is that they still have Marcus Carr, who is really a PG even though he can play the two.

This feels like a pretty bad fit scheme wise for Hunter, but I guess that remains to be seen. Beard will have a lot to juggle next year. I’ll be interested to see how this turns out, but Texas was a team that couldn’t score the basketball last year and Hunter isn’t exactly a score first type of guard. At least not right now. I think Texas is going to be middle of the pack in the Big 12 again.

Reactions: Ryno14 and berryvol
another reason i don’t get texas is that they still have Marcus Carr, who is really a PG even though he can play the two.

He returning for his 6th year in college then? They have a ton of seniors in that guard group...I thought you had to use a scholarship to keep any Super Seniors moving forward...they may hand out a git shirt if they land Hunter (not for Carr, but for another guard).

Ramey & Askew are both in the portal already.

Absolutely. Hunter was a top 50 recruit, he picked Iowa State and was given plenty of minutes...if he is bailing after 1 year and not for the NBA it would raise questions for me.

But Morris is a top 20 recruit and the #1 PG in this class, he's also taller and a 5 star that would take our top 25 class into the top 5 (as Texas would fall out losing him)

Their HS rankings mean absolutely nothing.. I suggest you watch some film on Hunter before turning your nose on him because of his freshman numbers, which were partly due to his lack of surrounding talent.

Iowa State went from going 2-22 to 22-13 with a sweet 16 appearance in one season thanks to Hunter.

Tyrese committed to a completely different staff at ISU than what he played for this past season. He's leaving to play for a bigger program and be surrounded by better players. There's nothing wrong with that.

I would rather have the proven player over boosting our recruiting rankings.

I think Florida is the most interesting portal team so far...

Surprised they were able to land Fudge, Richard, and Lofton with a new HC that hasn't proven anything. But will be nice to not have to play Appleby again.

Their HS rankings mean absolutely nothing.. I suggest you watch some film on Hunter before turning your nose on him because of his freshman numbers, which were partly due to his lack of surrounding talent.

Iowa State went from going 2-22 to 22-13 with a sweet 16 appearance in one season thanks to Hunter.

Tyrese committed to a completely different staff at ISU than what he played for this past season. He's leaving to play for a bigger program and be surrounded by better players. There's nothing wrong with that.

I would rather have the proven player over boosting our recruiting rankings.

You asked for my opinion, I gave it. Hunter also leaves for a program with a more crowded roster at his position (Carr if he returns and 2 PGs signed in the '22 class). I'd take both players, but head to head I'd prefer Morris.

If we managed to land back to back #1 rated PGs and both did well here and went in the first round (KC & Morris). That'd give us a ton of momentum with our top '23 PG Targets I think.

Moco_Vol is implying he might.

A lot of ifs, but if the kid does end up leaving due to Hunter going there and if he is eligible to play next year, I would not be surprised to see us hit him up. We could present the same plan to him as we did Hunter, and we would look like one of the better destinations for playing time.

If he is as good as his ranking suggest, he will be here one year and wouldn't scare off the 23 guys. (Holloway/Cadeau)

A lot of ifs, but if the kid does end up leaving due to Hunter going there and if he is eligible to play next year, I would not be surprised to see us hit him up. We could present the same plan to him as we did Hunter, and we would look like one of the better destinations for playing time.

If he is as good as his ranking suggest, he will be here one year and wouldn't scare off the 23 guys. (Holloway/Cadeau)

Yeah, I get that. I was just saying that's not happening. I don't mean it maliciously, I know tone is hard to read over text. But, I'm fairly certain there is a close to 0% chance he leaves Texas. He signed his NLI in November, and he isn't going to be released from it just because he is mad Beard brought in another PG for him to compete with. The NCAA isn't going to grant him a waiver for that. If he leaves, he has to sit a year. If he's as good as his ranking suggests, he isn't going to tempt fate and risk sitting out a year. Just my opinion.

I made the comment if he bailed on Texas I'd absolutely take him.

But at this point everyone is speaking in hypotheticals... The only Texas PG we might have a shot at is Ramey.

Agreed. Ramey is likely the only PG left in the portal I believe we try and get. Any other 2022 commits likely come from the high school rank. Barnes doesn't seem too concerned with the portal unless it's the right fit. He's very particular with the portal kids he tries to bring to TN.

Agreed. Ramey is likely the only PG left in the portal I believe we try and get. Any other 2022 commits likely come from the high school rank. Barnes doesn't seem too concerned with the portal unless it's the right fit. He's very particular with the portal kids he tries to bring to TN.

Yeah. We may legit already have the PG locked up but waiting on Hunter to make his choice official so we don't tip our hand. Also a small chance we're waiting on the final NBA draft names to be determined, a few really good PGs have their name still in that hat but could be looking for a new place to play if they pull it.

Absolutely, huge difference in the 2 statements though. Like I’ve said for weeks, Tennessee never felt like they had a legit shot at getting Hunter.
I’m not sure how the first statement is connected to the second. I disagree with the contention that we never felt like we had a legit shot. That might just be the different attitudes of different sources. I know we’ve been active enough that we’ve had all coaches on a call as recently as this week. I also know that Texas boosters have made it very hard for Hunter to go anywhere else given their revised NIL. That won’t stay quiet long. I’m sure it’ll be out soon. As with Pack, they’ll want to flaunt it.

Again, I'll go back to this point...

Texas plays a pretty bland, boring style of offense. Texas also has two PGs who left on their own accord and entered the transfer portal. Two guys who played big minutes for them and would have again, next year. Why? That would be a big red flag for me.

Tennessee just put their PG in the 1st round (likely) of the NBA Draft. They showed incredible ability to develop underrated talent, and quickly, in Zakai Zeigler. They have major minutes to walk into for a potential top-10 team.

In a vacuum, one of those situations seems much more promising. NIL considerations seem to have been a major player.

I’m not sure how the first statement is connected to the second. I disagree with the contention that we never felt like we had a legit shot. That might just be the different attitudes of different sources. I know we’ve been active enough that we’ve had all coaches on a call as recently as this week. I also know that Texas boosters have made it very hard for Hunter to go anywhere else given their revised NIL. That won’t stay quiet long. I’m sure it’ll be out soon. As with Pack, they’ll want to flaunt it.

So much for Hunter prioritizing development for the NBA draft over NIL as was rumored lol.

Again, I'll go back to this point...

Texas plays a pretty bland, boring style of offense. Texas also has two PGs who left on their own accord and entered the transfer portal. Two guys who played big minutes for them and would have again, next year. Why? That would be a big red flag for me.

Tennessee just put their PG in the 1st round (likely) on the NBA Draft. They showed incredible ability to develop underrated talent, and quickly, in Zakai Zeigler. They have major minutes to walk into for a potential top-10 team.

In a vacuum, one of those situations seems much more promising. NIL considerations seem to have been a major player.

I think your hunch will be validated soon. Apparently they made a big number happen.

Reactions: cncchris33
Yeah...I'll be honest, at least Kansas you could see some reason to go there. But even before Texas, Beard hasn't had a PG drafted in the NBA yet.

Beard has only had (thus far) 3 players he's coached get drafted. Jahmi'us Ramsey (SG), Jarrett Culver (SG), & Zhaire Smith (SG/SF)

Yeah...I'll be honest, at least Kansas you could see some reason to go there. But even before Texas, Beard hasn't had a PG drafted in the NBA yet.

Beard has only had (thus far) 3 players he's coached get drafted. Jahmi'us Ramsey (SG), Jarrett Culver (SG), & Zhaire Smith (SG/SF)
and look how all three of those draft picks turned out lol #bust

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
and look how all three of those draft picks turned out lol #bust

I mean to be fair at this point our recent draftees haven't been setting the NBA on fire. Grant has had some great games in the playoffs, Keon seems to be getting lots of minutes for Portland. But Admiral, Bone, & Springer still trying to find success.

I mean to be fair at this point our recent draftees haven't been setting the NBA on fire. Grant has had some great games in the playoffs, Keon seems to be getting lots of minutes for Portland. But Admiral, Bone, & Springer still trying to find success.
Keon has already had more success than all three of their draft picks combined already though lol. Once Springer gets his footing and a spot in the rotation, he will be good.

But Admiral and Bone were 3 star recruits. The chances of them making it full time were very low. They did well just to get drafted, and they are still great examples of Barnes’ development.

I'd love to get Ramey for next year, we add him and I have top 10 and FF contender aspirations same as with Hunter. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't a day one starter here. I've not heard much of anything about where he might be going other than his dad saying Tennessee was one of several teams that had been in contact with him.

VN Store

Back