Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

The whole reason Barnes has the attrition he has and why he's "missed" on some options is specifically because he doesn't make promises of starting or minutes.

I have a hard time believing Barnes hasn't promised Hunter a starting spot. Telling the best transfer in the country he won't start unless he "earns it" is just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I have a hard time believing Barnes hasn't promised Hunter a starting spot. Telling the best transfer in the country he won't start unless he "earns it" is just putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Not sure why that would surprise you, it’s been his stance since day 1 with recruits.

I dont know why some recruit would be hung up on a promise to start. It is something so easy to break. How can they hold someone accountable for the promise? What are they going to do transfer again? Sit on bench & pout? Promise a chance. Why would you want something that is not earned? Your team mates know who deserves to play.

Reactions: cncchris33
I dont know why some recruit would be hung up on a promise to start. It is something so easy to break. How can they hold someone accountable for the promise? What are they going to do transfer again? Sit on bench & pout? Promise a chance. Why would you want something that is not earned? Your team mates know who deserves to play.

I don't think there's anything wrong with subtly hinting you'll start if you show up and compete like you're expected to.

Reactions: brentcontractor

Big difference in saying, "We have a need for the position you play and you'll have a very clear path to becoming our starter and playing lots of minutes" and "If you come to UT you'll be our starting PG and play 30 or more minutes per game"

This was put on the Kansas board in response to who Hunter is picking,

I wonder if we would pursue this guy? (6'3 PG, 5 star)
"It's Texas. FWIW, I would be surprised if Arterio Morris sticks with them now - at least that's one rumor I've heard."

This was put on the Kansas board in response to who Hunter is picking, I wonder if we would pursue this guy? (6'3 PG, 5 star)

"It's Texas. FWIW, I would be surprised if Arterio Morris sticks with them now - at least that's one rumor I've heard."
He has to feel some way about Coach Beard bringing in another PG, when he was literally the #1 PG in the country this year.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Not sure why that would surprise you, it’s been his stance since day 1 with recruits.
I’m pretty sure this isn’t a binary matter. Barnes doesn’t guarantee anything, but they absolutely discuss roles, minutes, and opportunities. You can rest assured that Hunter left believing he can start and play big minutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with subtly hinting you'll start if you show up and compete like you're expected to.
Yes there really is a problem there ... because of 'a failure to communicate' that the player 'thinks' they were lied to ... yes, it was a misunderstanding. But coaches cannot afford to get the reputation of misleading recruits .... that would spread like wildfire.

Yes there really is a problem there ... because of 'a failure to communicate' that the player 'thinks' they were lied to ... yes, it was a misunderstanding. But coaches cannot afford to get the reputation of misleading recruits .... that would spread like wildfire.
This is naive. Most successful coaches lie about opportunities. They continue to succeed. Barnes is an exception.

It’s interesting that Hunter managed to keep this recruitment so tight lipped for 2 months and then the floodgates opened and every analyst seems to know where he is going at the 11th hour. Phillips managed to keep it hush hush up till the moment he announced.

I’m sure this will leak soon enough, but Texas upped NIL offer significantly. Their donors are the source.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a binary matter. Barnes doesn’t guarantee anything, but they absolutely discuss roles, minutes, and opportunities. You can rest assured that Hunter left believing he can start and play big minutes.
Absolutely, huge difference in the 2 statements though. Like I’ve said for weeks, Tennessee never felt like they had a legit shot at getting Hunter.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
This was put on the Kansas board in response to who Hunter is picking,

I wonder if we would pursue this guy? (6'3 PG, 5 star)

Oh lawd...I'd take Morris over Hunter any day of the week! Wouldn't that be a crazy outcome...Texas lands Hunter and then Morris bolts and we land him :eek:

Don't get me wrong...I still think Hunter is a talented player, but he did play 32 mpg and have some less than impressive numbers to show FG 39.1%, 3PT 27.4%, FT 68.7% with 3.2 turnovers a game.

Hunter: 31.9 mpg, 11.0 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.5 rpg, 2.0 spg, 3.2 topg (shot better from FT)
KC: 30.8 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 4.7 apg, 3.2rpg, 2.2 spg, 2.5 topg (shot better from FG & 3PT)

Reactions: HeadVol77
Oh lawd...I'd take Morris over Hunter any day of the week! Wouldn't that be a crazy outcome...Texas lands Hunter and then Morris bolts and we land him :eek:

Don't get me wrong...I still think Hunter is a talented player, but he did play 32 mpg and have some less than impressive numbers to show FG 39.1%, 3PT 27.4%, FT 68.7% with 3.2 turnovers a game.

Hunter: 31.9 mpg, 11.0 ppg, 4.9 apg, 3.5 rpg, 2.0 spg, 3.2 topg (shot better from FT)
KC: 30.8 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 4.7 apg, 3.2rpg, 2.2 spg, 2.5 topg (shot better from FG & 3PT)

You would choose an unproven recruit over the reigning Big12 freshman of the yr? There's a reason Texas wants Hunter even with Morris signed.

You would choose an unproven recruit over the reigning Big12 freshman of the yr? There's a reason Texas wants Hunter even with Morris signed.

Absolutely. Hunter was a top 50 recruit, he picked Iowa State and was given plenty of minutes...if he is bailing after 1 year and not for the NBA it would raise questions for me.

But Morris is a top 20 recruit and the #1 PG in this class, he's also taller and a 5 star that would take our top 25 class into the top 5 (as Texas would fall out losing him)

Even if Morris bolts, he wouldn’t be able to play this year, right? I mean he signed with Texas didn’t he? He’s not going to get out of his NLI with the reason of “don’t want to compete for minutes.”

another reason i don’t get texas is that they still have Marcus Carr, who is really a PG even though he can play the two.

VN Store

Back