Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I was grilled for some of my takes on Key but it seems to be coming into fruition. Just happy that Barnes was able to turn Zakai into the player we all wanted so bad from the portal.

On offense, Barnes needs to post Key up against smaller guards. CRB has exploited that matchup a few times this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol94
I'm really hoping Phillips is back next season, I think he's got room to really turn into an amazing player and having him back with the incoming guys and us losing Key and potentially losing Santi, Uros, JJJ, & ON would be huge I think.

(if those 4 seniors all leave)

Starters:
Guards: ZZ, Mashack OR Dilione
Forwards: Phillips, Awaka, Aidoo

Bench:
Guards: BJ Edwards, DJ Jefferson, Cameron Carr
Forwards: JP Estrella, Cade Phillips

I'm really hoping Phillips is back next season, I think he's got room to really turn into an amazing player and having him back with the incoming guys and us losing Key and potentially losing Santi, Uros, JJJ, & ON would be huge I think.

(if those 4 seniors all leave)

Starters:
Guards: ZZ, Mashack OR Dilione
Forwards: Phillips, Awaka, Aidoo

Bench:
Guards: BJ Edwards, DJ Jefferson, Cameron Carr
Forwards: JP Estrella, Cade Phillips

I think whether or not Phillips returns will determine the ceiling for this team. I think we’ll add some veterans in the portal, but if Phillips leaves you’re looking at an extremely young team and could be a pretty drastic step back from these last two years.

Phillips clearly has immense talent, and I believe an extra year in the program will bring that talent out more consistently. I would be pretty confident we could be another Top-20 team all year long if he returns, not so much if he doesn’t.

PG: ZZ
SG/PG: Freddie Dillione
SG/SF: Julian Phillips
SF/PF: Tobe Awaka
C: Jonas Aidoo

I would feel pretty good about that starting 5 and that’s without any knowledge of what type of transfers we might get. Dillione and Phillips have extremely high ceilings. Aidoo has flashed his potential but just needs more consistency and ZZ is ZZ.

I think whether or not Phillips returns will determine the ceiling for this team. I think we’ll add some veterans in the portal, but if Phillips leaves you’re looking at an extremely young team and could be a pretty drastic step back from these last two years.

Phillips clearly has immense talent, and I believe an extra year in the program will bring that talent out more consistently. I would be pretty confident we could be another Top-20 team all year long if he returns, not so much if he doesn’t.

PG: ZZ
SG/PG: Freddie Dillione
SG/SF: Julian Phillips
SF/PF: Tobe Awaka
C: Jonas Aidoo

I would feel pretty good about that starting 5 and that’s without any knowledge of what type of transfers we might get. Dillione and Phillips have extremely high ceilings. Aidoo has flashed his potential but just needs more consistency and ZZ is ZZ.
Feel like we repeat this every year but this team could be even better.

Reactions: berryvol
Yeah I was looking at the roster and incoming...

we have 5 players in the RSCI Top 100 on the roster right now

Phillips (14)
JJJ (20)
Aidoo (39)
Mashack (64)
BJ Edwards (100)

So if we only lose JJJ we drop to 4 players, but then you look at who we're adding based on the October RSCI Top 100 Rankings

Freddie Dilione (29)
JP Estrella (35)
Cameron Carr (not listed in RSCI yet, but should be in Final 2023 Rankings)

2010-11 in Bruce's last season was the last time we had 6 or more top 100 players on the roster together and if all the 5 seniors left there would be at least 2 spots for portal additions as well (assuming no one else leaves).

Maybe. It all just depends on how guys progress. We wouldn’t be nearly as deep as this year unless we get 2-3 vets in the portal. But, your starting 5 could theoretically be just as good.
Yep, good point. Expect we may be attractive for the transfer portal this year with so many players expected to depart. Add 2 more experienced guys from the portal who can play on day 1 and we may not take too much of a step back and remain consistently in top 15 or better. From portal, I would like another PG and another big frontcourt player who is a bit nasty, ideally a decent shot blocker too. Trying to figure out a rotation with who we should have back plus incoming is difficult. ZZ and J. Phillips will get a lot of minutes (Assuming Phillips stays), but not much else is certain. We also can’t discount the level in which Barnes develops players.

Aidoo will take another step and will continue to fill consistent rebounder/defense role. Awaka is going to be a stud at collegiate level…I just believe we have a routine double/double guy when he gets enough minutes. He already knows how to position on post and drop step. If anything we may even be a better rebounding team next year…simply because he gets more run and goes after everything. He already defends well too. Not sure about his upside but he is far better now than what was expected. Estrella needs weight on him but I can’t recall a guy that size at UT with similar skill set and think he may still be growing. Adds a dimension as legit stretch 4/5, pick and pop guy who can play in the paint too. Cade Phillips is going to be a fan favorite because he is so active and will be that athletic big we lose in Nkamhoua. J. Phillips…I pray he stays another year and gets to play more at natural SF position. He needs to improve in all facets but his upside is enormous. Jefferson is a freak long athlete with lefty stroke. Have no idea how will perform on the court but on film is looks like a more skilled Yves Pons albeit smaller. Carr, another long athlete, can stroke it from perimeter….at least in high school. If he can shot at 35% clip with volume in college, he will play. Plus he has some swagger. Dilione already learning the system now is going to be invaluable. He gets buckets and is just a flat scorer. Crafty combo guard and wouldn’t surprise me if he has stats comparable to Jaden Springer in his freshman year (assuming he gets similar minutes). Mashack still has higher ceiling but needs to shoot a lot higher % from everywhere to get 20+ minutes. Even if he just gets to a consistent mid-range game somewhat akin to what Josh Richardson developed in his Jr year where he would drive to the elbow and just elevate to shoot, I think is possible. Zeigler…he can still improve under Barnes as playmaker, reduce turnovers and IMO is already our most valuable player. Guy is heart and soul of the group. Edwards can find a role but it may be on defensive side first if he wants playing time. At the end of the day, we know Barnes. If you don’t defend you won’t play.

VN Store

Back