Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Uh…..I really, REALLY want Hunter but this just isn’t true. He shot 27% from 3 last season. It’s the biggest flaw in his game. I have complete faith he can improve that and take his game to the next level, but right now I wouldn’t go so far as to say he has a great perimeter game.

Completely fair, that’s my bad. I didn’t necessarily look at stats and percentages. I was watching some highlights and game clips. So only a snapshot. That’s on me for using “great”.

Reflecting back on some of the film some of his shot selections weren’t the best. So would make sense about poor percentages. Maybe in our offense where shooters get good looks often his percentages will be better.

Regardless hope we get the kid, and hope he succeeds and improves.

Completely fair, that’s my bad. I didn’t necessarily look at stats and percentages. I was watching some highlights and game clips. So only a snapshot. That’s on me for using “great”.

Reflecting back on some of the film some of his shot selections weren’t the best. So would make sense about poor percentages. Maybe in our offense where shooters get good looks often his percentages will be better.

Regardless hope we get the kid, and hope he succeeds and improves.

Yeah, no need to apologize at all. I wasn't picking on you, ha! Just pointing out it's not what he excels at right now. He is a true distributor and game manager, plays excellent defense, and is extremely quick and great on the dribble-drive and getting to the basket. He's pretty much exactly what Rick Barnes would look for if you asked him to clone his ideal PG, albeit I'm sure Rick would like the 3-point % to elevate a bit.

So, it's Wednesday. Hunter's final visit has ended. Any chance some of our posters that are "in the know" *cough* @bleedingTNorange *cough* @Stoerner Fumbles *cough* @FranklinVol16 heard anything positive at all about our chances with Hunter? Or, should I start to temper expectations....

Bill Self being involved is never a good thing. He’s probably willing to dump a player to make room. Outside that, he’s not living day to day contact with us the way Phillips was. He’s been shown how he’ll fit, interacted with Spyre about that aspect, and was supposed to decide Friday/Monday. I had heard we were gaining some confidence, but the Kansas mystery throws that.

Bill Self being involved is never a good thing. He’s probably willing to dump a player to make room. Outside that, he’s not living day to day contact with us the way Phillips was. He’s been shown how he’ll fit, interacted with Spyre about that aspect, and was supposed to decide Friday/Monday. I had heard we were gaining some confidence, but the Kansas mystery throws that.
Well that’s not good news. You were supposed to give us good news 😂

I think there is good news to be found here. I like the fact that we are “gaining confidence” and I weirdly feel better about it if it’s a Kansas/Tennessee battle than a Texas/Tennessee battle. I think the numbers game on their roster is going to be particularly difficult to navigate, especially if they get McCullar, and if he wants to decide by Friday or Monday those numbers aren’t going to solve themselves by then.

Still, you’re right that going against Self is like going against Pearl. Hard to feel good about it, but the fact that we don’t believe we’re out of it yet gives me some hope.

I think there is good news to be found here. I like the fact that we are “gaining confidence” and I weirdly feel better about it if it’s a Kansas/Tennessee battle than a Texas/Tennessee battle. I think the numbers game on their roster is going to be particularly difficult to navigate, especially if they get McCullar, and if he wants to decide by Friday or Monday those numbers aren’t going to solve themselves by then.

Still, you’re right that going against Self is like going against Pearl. Hard to feel good about it, but the fact that we don’t believe we’re out of it yet gives me some hope.
I can’t rule out Texas, to be fair. I just know that prior to KU visit we felt good. This kid is better than his stats say. I’d love to have him.

I agree. Against Texas, we almost certainly lose, but against Kansas we have a decent shot, even if it is simply because they are out of spots.

I can’t rule out Texas, to be fair. I just know that prior to KU visit we felt good. This kid is better than his stats say. I’d love to have him.

Oh 100%. I’d absolutely be overjoyed if we landed him. And, yeah, can’t rule out Texas at all. I was just making the point that I’d be more concerned about Texas than Kansas due to the numbers game.

Whose got a 247 account?

“Tyrese Hunter is another player to watch, but the latest intel doesn’t look great for KU. The Iowa State transfer is currently on an official visit to KU and will be on campus through today before the dead period starts. I believe KU would take both McCullar and Hunter if both wanted to play at KU, but the chances of that happening with Hunter seem to be diminishing. From what I’ve heard, Texas is the team to beat for him. KU is still in the mix but it does appear things are trending in Texas’ favor right now.”

“Tyrese Hunter is another player to watch, but the latest intel doesn’t look great for KU. The Iowa State transfer is currently on an official visit to KU and will be on campus through today before the dead period starts. I believe KU would take both McCullar and Hunter if both wanted to play at KU, but the chances of that happening with Hunter seem to be diminishing. From what I’ve heard, Texas is the team to beat for him. KU is still in the mix but it does appear things are trending in Texas’ favor right now.”

That sucks.

Texas over us makes zero sense from a development stand point.

Just a very questionable decision.

I’m still holding out hope. I mean we literally are probably going to have a pg go top 20 in this years draft while Texas’ starting pg transfers out.

VN Store

Back