Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Lot of smoke around McCullar to Kansas today. Based on their scholarship situation, Hunter should be ruled out. Tennessee should be looking pretty attractive based on the playing time available, the surrounding talent, the league, and the style of play. Barnes can easily point to Chandler being drafted this year in the mid-1st and say, this could be you. Beard is gonna have to convince him that his offense can actually score more than 70 more often than not. Easy pickens

Lot of smoke around McCullar to Kansas today. Based on their scholarship situation, Hunter should be ruled out. Tennessee should be looking pretty attractive based on the playing time available, the surrounding talent, the league, and the style of play. Barnes can easily point to Chandler being drafted this year in the mid-1st and say, this could be you. Beard is gonna have to convince him that his offense can actually score more than 70 more often than not. Easy pickens

Just show him how Courtney Ramey regressed across the board under Beard this year. Ramey lost 3 points and 2 assists per game and his shooting percentages dropped, meaning Beards offense is likely way less PG friendly that prior years. He looked great as a junior before Beard arrived.

Just show him how Courtney Ramey regressed across the board under Beard this year. Ramey lost 3 points and 2 assists per game and his shooting percentages dropped, meaning Beards offense is likely way less PG friendly that prior years. He looked great as a junior before Beard arrived.
Not only that, but I'd ask the obvious question, which is, if the PG spot in the Texas offense is so attractive, then why is the incumbent starter (Ramey) walking away from a 30 mins/gm job and starting fresh taking his chances somewhere else?

Last edited:
Not only that, but I'd ask the obvious question, which is, if the PG spot in this offense is so attractive, then why is the incumbent starter (Ramey) walking away from a 30 mins/gm job and starting fresh taling his chances somewhere else?

Sounds to me like it’s an easy decision for Hunter and I look forward to seeing him commit later this week or early next week 😎

Reactions: Ryno14 and berryvol
He should look at the team we have and realize he is the missing piece. Add him to what we already have, and we have the makings of a really good team. Not sure Texas offers him that.
I go back to this. If the choice is between us and Texas, we make so much more sense IMO. If Kansas is truly in the picture, I could understand that being his choice, but we're a better situation than Texas. The only real draw to Texas is if they're offering a massive NIL deal and we're not. And I'm not saying they are, I have no idea, I just know when you look at the big picture, we certainly seem to be a better situation. We have the minutes, we have the supporting cast, we have a coach that has put guards in the NBA. Tennessee just makes sense for him.

But I'm still expecting the nut-punch, so he'll probably pick Texas.

If BHH had been ranked a 3 star very few would care less if he transferred
I’ve seen this a few times. I don’t think it’s true. Brandon showed plenty of potential on the court, especially later on, that would have had everybody excited to watch him grow, 3 star or not. He never put it all together, and if certain rumblings are to be believed, he might never. But I’d like to think our basketball fanbase has gotten educated enough that they would’ve recognized the potential that was shown, albeit in infrequent glimpses

Last edited:
I’ve seen this a few times. I don’t think it’s true. Brandon showed plenty of potential on the court, especially later on, that would have had everybody excited to watch him grow, 3 star or not. He never put it all together, and if certain rumblings are to be believed, he might never. But I’d like to think our basketball fanbase has gotten educated enough that they would’ve recognized the potential that was shown, albeit in infrequent glimpses

In this day and age you're far more likely to be encouraged to hit the portal and get recruited over when you're someone the coaches have to work and work and work to get effort from you. It sounded like that was what was going on with BHH. The minutes he ended up getting were minutes he likely doesn't get without the injury to Olivier. You had Coach Barnes in the middle of the season calling out his work ethic. Maybe BHH can be good but we know for sure he can be bad and we saw a lot of that this season from him.

Of the transfer portal there was two guys that excited me..

- Tyrese Hunter
- Yuri Collins

I am holding out hope for Hunter. He could be the scorer we need to replace KC. Has a great 3pt Shot. I don’t know just some kind of “it” factor or clutch thing about him. Seems explosive..

Having said that I’m worried my gut says he goes to Texas. (Although, Maybe getting Phillips can sway another elite kid to join)

Of the transfer portal there was two guys that excited me..

- Tyrese Hunter
- Yuri Collins

I am holding out hope for Hunter. He could be the scorer we need to replace KC. Has a great 3pt Shot. I don’t know just some kind of “it” factor or clutch thing about him. Seems explosive..

Having said that I’m worried my gut says he goes to Texas. (Although, Maybe getting Phillips can sway another elite kid to join)

Uh…..I really, REALLY want Hunter but this just isn’t true. He shot 27% from 3 last season. It’s the biggest flaw in his game. I have complete faith he can improve that and take his game to the next level, but right now I wouldn’t go so far as to say he has a great perimeter game.

Yeah, Hunter is an excellent distributor. Assist rate of 32.1% which was good enough for 40th in the country according to KenPom. But he was 37-135 from 3 point land this past season. Obviously, he can work on that and get better. But to say he’s a perimeter threat is just not true.

VN Store

Back