Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Anyone with On3 sub?

Tyrese Hunter is getting closer to a decision after visiting the Texas Longhorns over the weekend.
The former Iowa State point guard and No. 14-ranked prospect in the portal had made visits to Purdue, Tennessee and Gonzaga prior to checking out Austin over the weekend.
“It went great down there,” Hunter told On3 Monday. “Austin is big. I got to see everything I need to. I spent time with the coached, the players, got a feel for the program and roster.”
The 6-foot-1 point guard seemingly hit it off with the Texas coaching staff.
“The coaching staff is wonderful. They are funny coaches. They come off as very naturally. Coach Beard said he’s ready for me to come into the program. He wants me to come into the program and do my thing. Form a great two guard lineup, push the ball and play my style.
A highlight of the trip was the Moody Center, where the Longhorns will begin playing next season.
“It’s crazy. It’s going to be the best facility in college basketball next year. Everything is NBA based. Knowing where you are going to play every night is big.”
Kansas up next, then decision time
Hunter will be back on a plane Tuesday. He’s making a fifth, and final visit to see the National Champions.
“I go to Kansas tomorrow and Wednesday. After the Kansas visit, I’m going to sit down with my circle and figure out a decision.”
Hunter’s decision will be basketball based first.
“The basketball piece is big. I feel like this will be my biggest year coming up. Seeing how I fit in with the roster, and the team and style play is big. I’m going to have a decision soon. I plan on being at the school I choose for summer one. Get to work with the team.”
The 6-foot-1 Hunter entered the portal as the Big 12 Freshman of the Year after averaging 11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 2.0 steals for the Cyclones in 2021-22.

I guess not much info to glean from that interview. Sounds like he really enjoyed the visit. I’ll still guess Texas is where he ultimately lands since we haven’t heard much from VQ or our side about our chances, but I’ll maintain a glimmer of hope till I’m told otherwise.

I guess not much info to glean from that interview. Sounds like he really enjoyed the visit. I’ll still guess Texas is where he ultimately lands since we haven’t heard much from VQ or our side about our chances, but I’ll maintain a glimmer of hope till I’m told otherwise.
Yeah I honestly don't see us landing him, of course I said the same thing about Phillips so I hope I am wrong

Tyrese Hunter is getting closer to a decision after visiting the Texas Longhorns over the weekend.
The former Iowa State point guard and No. 14-ranked prospect in the portal had made visits to Purdue, Tennessee and Gonzaga prior to checking out Austin over the weekend.
“It went great down there,” Hunter told On3 Monday. “Austin is big. I got to see everything I need to. I spent time with the coached, the players, got a feel for the program and roster.”
The 6-foot-1 point guard seemingly hit it off with the Texas coaching staff.
“The coaching staff is wonderful. They are funny coaches. They come off as very naturally. Coach Beard said he’s ready for me to come into the program. He wants me to come into the program and do my thing. Form a great two guard lineup, push the ball and play my style.
A highlight of the trip was the Moody Center, where the Longhorns will begin playing next season.
“It’s crazy. It’s going to be the best facility in college basketball next year. Everything is NBA based. Knowing where you are going to play every night is big.”
Kansas up next, then decision time
Hunter will be back on a plane Tuesday. He’s making a fifth, and final visit to see the National Champions.
“I go to Kansas tomorrow and Wednesday. After the Kansas visit, I’m going to sit down with my circle and figure out a decision.”
Hunter’s decision will be basketball based first.
“The basketball piece is big. I feel like this will be my biggest year coming up. Seeing how I fit in with the roster, and the team and style play is big. I’m going to have a decision soon. I plan on being at the school I choose for summer one. Get to work with the team.”
The 6-foot-1 Hunter entered the portal as the Big 12 Freshman of the Year after averaging 11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 2.0 steals for the Cyclones in 2021-22.
Probably not us, but it'd be nice if it was.

Jefferson is, would look for that to get done this…some things need ironing out with Awaka but likely ends up a Vol.
Are you saying Jefferson is a Vol by the end of the week ? Because that how I finished your sentence. I will be ecstatic even if we just get BJE, Key (to a lesser extent), Phillips and Jefferson, throw in Awaka and/or Hunter and it's just icing on the cake, imo

Hunter should just look at the guards that we have put in the league over the last 2 years
He should look at the team we have and realize he is the missing piece. Add him to what we already have, and we have the makings of a really good team. Not sure Texas offers him that.

He should look at the team we have and realize he is the missing piece. Add him to what we already have, and we have the makings of a really good team. Not sure Texas offers him that.
You're right about texas. KU on the other hand is stacked. Had some losses but bringing in a top 5 class. Preseason top 10 in most way too early polls. That's where I see him being most likely to land. Wish it were the Vols, but that's just too good to be true for the good guys.

You're right about texas. KU on the other hand is stacked. Had some losses but bringing in a top 5 class. Preseason top 10 in most way too early polls. That's where I see him being most likely to land. Wish it were the Vols, but that's just too good to be true for the good guys.
We are preseason top 15 in most polls like it matters, Duke has about 20 preseason national titles in their repertoire but who really cares about preseason polls?

Reactions: i2amavol
Decisions date for DJ Jefferson is Friday. Thinks we lead.

-AP

Let's get Jefferson on Friday. And then pull a rabbit out of a hat and convince Hunter after his Kansas visit today that we're still the best fit for him and be done by the end of the week. Then we can start dreaming of what a Hunter/Vescovi/JJJ/Phillips/ORN starting 5 will look like this Fall. :D

Let's get Jefferson on Friday. And then pull a rabbit out of a hat and convince Hunter after his Kansas visit today that we're still the best fit for him and be done by the end of the week. Then we can start dreaming of what a Hunter/Vescovi/JJJ/Phillips/ORN starting 5 will look like this Fall. :D
And what a fantastic dream that is. Helluva haul considering the outlook a few months ago.

Rob and Hubbs made it seem like the visit to Kansas isn’t a done deal. Just haven’t seen any confirmation.

Rob and Hubbs made it seem like the visit to Kansas isn’t a done deal. Just haven’t seen any confirmation.

Well....it's Tuesday so he is supposed to be there right now, haha. I guess we'll know very soon if he has cancelled, because it will get around. I feel like if he cancels the visit though that makes it feel more like he's picking Texas rather than if he goes to Kansas which would mean there is still some uncertainty.

Well....it's Tuesday so he is supposed to be there right now, haha. I guess we'll know very soon if he has cancelled, because it will get around. I feel like if he cancels the visit though that makes it feel more like he's picking Texas rather than if he goes to Kansas which would mean there is still some uncertainty.

Agreed. Still have some hope he comes here 🤞

VN Store

Back