Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Didn’t take long did it? And does anybody really think it’s the last time that an agent/rep is going to hold another kids’ deal over a school’s head to get more money for another player. I suspect it’s going to be the rule rather than the exception. “You better give X the same deal as Y or X is going to go looking to see who will.” Talk about a mess. Obvious understatement-This hasn’t been handled well.

The NCAA needs to learn a lesson from the NFL. Parity is good. It’s pretty stale when the same 3 or 4 teams are always in the football play off and the blue bloods own recruiting and spots in the top 10.

Reactions: orangejuice
I believe the logical response to answer the NIL question is the creation of a semi-professional super league for football and men’s basketball.

The participants in these new leagues - the teams -would be spun off from the university system and would pay royalties/franchise fees to the universities for stadium/arena/facility leases etc. There would be no ncaa involvement and there would be rules similar to professional sports.

Contracts for players - minimum 2 years - salary caps and minimum/maximum $$$ contracts. There would be a draft etc.

IMO this is where we are headed - I don’t see any other way.
Interesting. With the number of schools though, how long would the draft last? A week even just for the Power 5. And can you imagine the fight on the order? How would you determine that with 5 conferences? The NFL only has what, 32 teams in one league?

Yep. I’m starting to believe that time frame. No chance he puts up with the mess that this is becoming.

Unless TN has one of the biggest NIL funds to tap into. It will be a giant pivot for the Deacon to do his own 180 from assembling these outstanding groups of high character players with talent to just straight up bidding for talent. My guess is that he goes more to the opt out rather than the sell out.

Bruce is in his element. What a lucky guy. His skill set and ethics are a perfect match for what’s developing.

Interesting. With the number of schools though, how long would the draft last? A week even just for the Power 5. And can you imagine the fight on the order? How would you determine that with 5 conferences? The NFL only has what, 32 teams in one league?

And the workers compensation insurance costs will be enormous. What about unemployment benefits after players are cut? And OSHA. The NCAA schools (or team entities) will struggle to prove that players are ICs and not employees.

The NCAA needs to learn a lesson from the NFL. Parity is good. It’s pretty stale when the same 3 or 4 teams are always in the football play off and the blue bloods own recruiting and spots in the top 10.
The comment about stale is very true. Aside from a few schools though that might have some money men that can get in the middle of it, I think you are going to see the same schools. Just don’t think Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan etc are going away. Schools with big money like Texas A&M might be able to step up and buy their way in. That seems to be happening already. Other schools like Clemson may take a step down.

The comment about stale is very true. Aside from a few schools though that might have some money men that can get in the middle of it, I think you are going to see the same schools. Just don’t think Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan etc are going away. Schools with big money like Texas A&M might be able to step up and buy their way in. That seems to be happening already. Other schools like Clemson may take a step down.

Maybe there will be 50-60 football schools that are de-facto minor league feeders to the NFL while the rest evolve into what resembles the NCAA of decades ago. Maybe teams like ETSU and App State will benefit from being actual places for true student-athletes.

According to how the contract is worded, that would be plausible. He's not a "kid". He's a 21 year old who presumably signed a contract. If the contract is still active and Wong goes in breach of it, I don't know why he wouldn't be open to a lawsuit like any other adult who signs a contract and breaches it.
Honestly, if the schools/coaches/NIL groups want any semblance of sanity, they need to do just that early and often. They need to treat this like a business and teach the players a lesson about contract law. Make an example out of a few and things will remain in order. If they don't enforce a contract, you can bet there will be others who do the same thing. If Miami feels Wong's asking price is out of line, they'll likely treat the situation the way professional sports do. They'll look for value elsewhere. Maybe get two very solid contributors vs overpaying for one guy. Like NFL teams trading a top pick for numerous lower picks. The players wanted to be paid, well, they got their wish. It's business now. Time for these college players....not kids....to grow up and treat it like that.

Unless TN has one of the biggest NIL funds to tap into. It will be a giant pivot for the Deacon to do his own 180 from assembling these outstanding groups of high character players with talent to just straight up bidding for talent. My guess is that he goes more to the opt out rather than the sell out.

Bruce is in his element. What a lucky guy. His skill set and ethics are a perfect match for what’s developing.
In the old days, so was Calipari. This whole thing is a giant mess. What just happened at Miami is going to happen more than we realize. The bidding for players is just going to go through the roof. Does anybody really think that current players on a team aren’t going to be upset about a newcomer getting $800,000 and a car if they are just as good and are getting a lot less? Talk about tearing apart a team.

In the old days, so was Calipari. This whole thing is a giant mess. What just happened at Miami is going to happen more than we realize. The bidding for players is just going to go through the roof. Does anybody really think that current players on a team aren’t going to be upset about a newcomer getting $800,000 and a car if they are just as good and are getting a lot less? Talk about tearing apart a team.
I’ve said the same thing ever since this NIL stuff started becoming a reality. I talked about the utter chaos, and we are only at the tip of the iceberg right now. Imagine how a guy like JJJ might feel after he’s put in the blood, sweat, and tears, then comes along a primadonna who comes in wanting what he wants. Really bad for team chemistry, and everything else that will ensue.

I’ve said the same thing ever since this NIL stuff started becoming a reality. I talked about the utter chaos, and we are only at the tip of the iceberg right now. Imagine how a guy like JJJ might feel after he’s put in the blood, sweat, and tears, then comes along a primadonna who comes in wanting what he wants. Really bad for team chemistry, and everything else that will ensue.

But - after a few years the JJJs will have been purged. The sophomores and incoming freshmen came in with NIL deals. Another couple of years and all players will have had their shot to strike a deal on the front end. However, there will be those players that take huge strides in their development that want to renegotiate. And those important role players on very successful teams should have more leverage as well. Will the successful teams share the wealth? Will there be free agency? Will the NIL agreements prevent transferring?

The funny thing is - it’s still not pay for play that the NCAA/schools are permitting. It’s still NIL based.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
Maybe there will be 50-60 football schools that are de-facto minor league feeders to the NFL while the rest evolve into what resembles the NCAA of decades ago. Maybe teams like ETSU and App State will benefit from being actual places for true student-athletes.
Maybe you will be an ETSU fan like Senior drill, now. Bwaa-ha-ha

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
@FranklinVol16 Any news on the “potential good news?” I honestly would take anything you can give me. Just read a ton of non recruiting messages in this thread and I want some recruiting news lol

Pretty sure his good news wasn’t about a specific recruit. It was just in reference to Barnes being more receptive to NIL now apparently. BTO alluded to that.

There would not be 5 conferences-one league with divisions. Maybe 8 divisions - more teams in playoff for football - less in basketball.

The TV deals would be epic - every game televised for bball and football. The base format is already there - see NBA and NFL.

Basketball will have more options. I might favor UT-C in both though.

I haven’t been a Carson-Newman fan because Sparks used to poach UT players.

Who was the big LMU fan a few years ago?
Was it edyeary??? I don’t remember how to spell it. I’m pretty sure it was LMU that he was all about. Haven’t seen him post here in a few years. Hope he’s doing well. We’ve definitely lost some over the years. Indyvol still posts in here from time to time, but I do miss the old days of the b ball forum. A lot less drive byes, and a lot more regulars to have good basketball convo with.

Basketball will have more options. I might favor UT-C in both though.

I haven’t been a Carson-Newman fan because Sparks used to poach UT players.

Who was the big LMU fan a few years ago?
Was it edyeary??? I don’t remember how to spell it. I’m pretty sure it was LMU that he was all about. Haven’t seen him post here in a few years. Hope he’s doing well. We’ve definitely lost some over the years. Indyvol still posts in here from time to time, but I do miss the old days of the b ball forum. A lot less drive byes, and a lot more regulars to have good basketball convo with.
Yes, it was EdYeary

Wong found out real quick that a 20-year old kid isn’t winning a fight with a billionaire and has decided to go full damage control.

Yep. Damage control. But that won’t stop it from happening with other disgruntled players. It’s coming. Might as well get ready. Very few will be happy when a newcomer comes in and is making more money than you even though you are just as good and maybe are even of more value to the team. It’s human nature especially with these prima donnas that pass for players today. I just don’t believe this is going to end well unless they get some semblance of control. Just don’t know what that looks like.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Nice to see someone informed Wong of the meaning of a signed contract. Probably spouted off without speaking to anyone about it.

VN Store

Back