Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I didn’t think NIL deals could be contingent on a player‘s enrollment at given school. What’s this clown going to do if Wong transfers? Sue him?? Good luck!
Again, these folks are smart enough to put in wording that doesn’t tie you to the school but the area. Typically they’ll do something like “potentially required to appear in person at x number of events per month”, which they won’t ever enforce, until you try and leave which makes it impossible to then make those appearances while being at another school.

Reactions: i2amavol
Again, these folks are smart enough to put in wording that doesn’t tie you to the school but the area. Typically they’ll do something like “potentially required to appear in person at x number of events per month”, which they won’t ever enforce, until you try and leave which makes it impossible to then make those appearances while being at another school.
Yeah, and what’s he going to do over a breach of contract? Sue the kid? Lol

No, he’s gonna stop paying him…you think they pay these kids up front?
Well of course he stops paying him. If Wong can simply walk away from it then who cares if he’s under contract. Ruiz exclaiming he’s under contract makes it seem as though he thinks it’s binding in some way. Which then he’d have to sue if Wong is in breach otherwise it wouldn’t matter.

Yeah, and what’s he going to do over a breach of contract? Sue the kid? Lol

According to how the contract is worded, that would be plausible. He's not a "kid". He's a 21 year old who presumably signed a contract. If the contract is still active and Wong goes in breach of it, I don't know why he wouldn't be open to a lawsuit like any other adult who signs a contract and breaches it.

Don't see why they can't if they're not doing what's need to be done on their side of the deal. These are grown adults signing legitimate contracts.
There are a lot of reasons people avoid legal disputes. For instance I was told UT would never consider pursuing Butch Jones for not seeking gainful employment while he was an intern at Bama as his contract stipulates. I was told it would scare off future coaches to do something like that.

According to how the contract is worded, that would be plausible. He's not a "kid". He's a 21 year old who presumably signed a contract. If the contract is still active and Wong goes in breach of it, I don't know why he wouldn't be open to a lawsuit like any other adult who signs a contract and breaches it.
“Kid” used colloquially.

A term of the contract can’t be “must play for Miami” though. Would violate NCAA rules.

As long as Wong still performs whatever quid pro quo his deal requires, Ruiz can’t void the deal even if Wong leaves Miami.

Reactions: Mccage
Well of course he stops paying him. If Wong can simply walk away from it then who cares if he’s under contract. Ruiz exclaiming he’s under contract makes it seem as though he thinks it’s binding in some way. Which then he’d have to sue if Wong is in breach otherwise it wouldn’t matter.
Ruiz will likely have every right to sue him, it will just be a matter of if he wants to do that and pursue that or not. The flip side is that what will Wong have to pay in legal expenses, also is anyone going to top his current NIL deal he’s getting, or would he get the same/lose money while also risking lawsuit?

A term of the contract can’t be “must play for Miami” though. Would violate NCAA rules.

As long as Wong still performs whatever quid pro quo his deal requires, Ruiz can’t void the deal even if Wong leaves Miami.
But they make it impossible, will say something like must appear at 6 events in month of November if asked…well if he transfers schools that is an impossible task, thus voiding it.

If the contract states "must appear in Miami x number of days per week" it becomes very complicated for Wong to leave Miami and play anywhere else without massive travel expense and understanding from his new team/NiL partner.

Ruiz will likely have every right to sue him, it will just be a matter of if he wants to do that and pursue that or not. The flip side is that what will Wong have to pay in legal expenses, also is anyone going to top his current NIL deal he’s getting, or would he get the same/lose money while also risking lawsuit?
I definitely don’t think this would end in a legal dispute. Ruiz probably isn’t a billionaire for wasting money on pointless lawsuits. But it would be very amusing if it did. NIL brand new and the lawsuits have already begun to fly! 🍿

Jay Wright retiring is now making all sorts of sense.

College sports is falling to pieces. I hope everybody likes the new minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. How long before the athletes are no longer students at all?

I also wonder where it is all headed with limiting athletes’s time frames. When they had a 5-year clock running to play 4 it was related to attended school on a scholarship. What’s to keep them from playing on these minor league teams for 10 years? They should be able to sue if their time is limited to earn their living as an athlete.

This Isaiah Wong thing at Miami is crazy. But those scenarios should filter out in a couple of years as those that began before NIL was in place have all moved on.

For now, they aren’t technically being paid to play. They are paid for their “NIL”. That’s certainly just around the corner as guys like Wong squeeze their “employers” for raises.

What a mess. Unless Barnes turns out to be the best at maneuvering through all of this, and has a huge NIL fund to play with, I don’t see him sticking around for more than another year or two.

Jay Wright retiring is now making all sorts of sense.

College sports is falling to pieces. I hope everybody likes the new minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. How long before the athletes are no longer students at all?

I also wonder where it is all headed with limiting athletes’s time frames. When they had a 5-year clock running to play 4 it was related to attended school on a scholarship. What’s to keep them from playing on these minor league teams for 10 years? They should be able to sue if their time is limited to earn their living as an athlete.

This Isaiah Wong thing at Miami is crazy. But those scenarios should filter out in a couple of years as those that began before NIL was in place have all moved on.

For now, they aren’t technically being paid to play. They are paid for their “NIL”. That’s certainly just around the corner as guys like Wong squeeze their “employers” for raises.

What a mess. Unless Barnes turns out to be the best at maneuvering through all of this, and has a huge NIL fund to play with, I don’t see him sticking around for more than another year or two.
College athletes have always been on the take not sure them bringing legal business deals to light will upset the status quo, money will continue to flow regardless that’s called a free market

So, slightly back on topic, it’s Friday. That means Hunter is coming in today for an official visit. Big weekend!

Do we know when he gets in? It’s not like VQ has said anything about basketball lately. Anyone know?
For real about VQ. Is Rob Lewis still with them? I read reports about Hubbs and Price heading out and joining up with Grant Ramey at On3.

So, slightly back on topic, it’s Friday. That means Hunter is coming in today for an official visit. Big weekend!

Do we know when he gets in? It’s not like VQ has said anything about basketball lately. Anyone know?
VQ has been trash with their hoops coverage lately. Did Rob just retire or something?

Forget Barnes coming here just to collect a check. That's what Rob Lewis is doing right now lol

College athletes have always been on the take not sure them bringing legal business deals to light will upset the status quo, money will continue to flow regardless that’s called a free market

How long have they been threatening to leave if their deals aren’t sweetened? Did athletes use to at least pretend like they were students? Did there use to be some stability with S-As not being transients? The NCAA has lost their control and it’s imploding. If you’re a big fan of minor league ball, enjoy the way it moving. I wonder if there will be a farm system at some point.

How long have they been threatening to leave if their deals aren’t sweetened? Did athletes use to at least pretend like they were students? Did there use to be some stability with S-As not being transients? The NCAA has lost their control and it’s imploding. If you’re a big fan of minor league ball, enjoy the way it moving. I wonder if there will be a farm system at some point.
Nobody is preventing you from not following the sport just like nobody has the right to tell a college student they can’t make money…

Reactions: StoVol
Nobody is preventing you from not following the sport just like nobody has the right to tell a college student they can’t make money…

When did I say that anybody is preventing me from following a sport? Go lecture somebody else.

“College student”? Not the way it’s heading.

VN Store

Back