Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I’ll repeat what I said in the football forum. It’s pretty much inevitable that the end game is the players becoming contract employees like the coaches. It’s just hard for me to see any other solution to the chaos of the NIL/portal combo that will survive in court.

I believe the logical response to answer the NIL question is the creation of a semi-professional super league for football and men’s basketball.

The participants in these new leagues - the teams -would be spun off from the university system and would pay royalties/franchise fees to the universities for stadium/arena/facility leases etc. There would be no ncaa involvement and there would be rules similar to professional sports.

Contracts for players - minimum 2 years - salary caps and minimum/maximum $$$ contracts. There would be a draft etc.

IMO this is where we are headed - I don’t see any other way.

But back to recruiting.

So for all those folks that love to ask the question when a sitting TN coach is criticized - “Who you going to get/hire?”

To you guys I say, who is Barnes going to get to fill his roster? Key has been added - so who else is Barnes going to get?

Reactions: Volflyfisher
But back to recruiting.

So for all those folks that love to ask the question when a sitting TN coach is criticized - “Who you going to get/hire?”

To you guys I say, who is Barnes going to get to fill his roster? Key has been added - so who else is Barnes going to get?
Scroll up

I believe the logical response to answer the NIL question is the creation of a semi-professional super league for football and men’s basketball.

The participants in these new leagues - the teams -would be spun off from the university system and would pay royalties/franchise fees to the universities for stadium/arena/facility leases etc. There would be no ncaa involvement and there would be rules similar to professional sports.

Contracts for players - minimum 2 years - salary caps and minimum/maximum $$$ contracts. There would be a draft etc.

IMO this is where we are headed - I don’t see any other way.

Minor leagues! Woo, woo!

I’m not opposed. Coaches approaching $10 million/year deals while many players deal with life long injuries without long term financial support for their medical issues while not getting a cut is idiotic. I’m not upset that the extreme greed of coaches and administrators and their deals is being disrupted.

One of the most hypocritical things I remember was Fulmer sending out his letter begging for more donations to help weather the COVID disruption while quietly sweetening his own deal and mismanaging the funds that he had. What a clown show.

Reactions: Volfan1000
But back to recruiting.

Barnes should be able to adapt if he wants to. He’s had to do that a lot to have had his longevity. I’m sure that he’d rather continue as long as possible bringing in the high character kids with high level talent, but that will become harder and harder to maintain. At least when the future Ramar Smiths pass through, they will move on before doing too much harm to the community.

I think that with The Who you going to get? question (whenever CRB decides he’s done) is to fish in the NBA waters. There was once a time when coaches were supposed to also hold college degrees. I think that that won’t matter much anymore. College coaching positions might pivot toward failed NBA head coaches and up and coming NBA assistants. Recruiting won’t be nearly as important. Houston and KO were hired primarily due to their success as recruiters. That won’t matter anymore. The money dudes will be the recruiters while consulting with the head coaches.

Who is Barnes going to get? No idea, but the labor market has about done a 360 this week. Powell’s announcement and not closing the deal with the St Louis player and it was looking terribly bleak. But now the dominoes are falling. Apparently about a hundred of the biggest boosters met at Cherokee CC yesterday to get to work on a LT NIL strategy (more about football). I wouldn’t rule out Wong. Barnes has also been good at landing players outside of US borders.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That was before Tshiebwe returned. He had no reason to go there then. No minutes.
Wonder how many minutes at Florida. Castleton plays 30+ mpg. Probably more likely a share situation at Auburn. He announces just in time for Cardwell get his name into the portal

This transfer window has been insane. The Shannon —> Michigan drama has been some of the best stuff yet. Wish we had a chance to scoop him up with all of this going down. View attachment 451350

1ySa.gif

Some people said that would never happen. Lmao
Didn’t take long did it? And does anybody really think it’s the last time that an agent/rep is going to hold another kids’ deal over a school’s head to get more money for another player. I suspect it’s going to be the rule rather than the exception. “You better give X the same deal as Y or X is going to go looking to see who will.” Talk about a mess. Obvious understatement-This hasn’t been handled well.

Jay Wright retiring is now making all sorts of sense.

College sports is falling to pieces. I hope everybody likes the new minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. How long before the athletes are no longer students at all?

I also wonder where it is all headed with limiting athletes’s time frames. When they had a 5-year clock running to play 4 it was related to attended school on a scholarship. What’s to keep them from playing on these minor league teams for 10 years? They should be able to sue if their time is limited to earn their living as an athlete.

This Isaiah Wong thing at Miami is crazy. But those scenarios should filter out in a couple of years as those that began before NIL was in place have all moved on.

For now, they aren’t technically being paid to play. They are paid for their “NIL”. That’s certainly just around the corner as guys like Wong squeeze their “employers” for raises.

What a mess. Unless Barnes turns out to be the best at maneuvering through all of this, and has a huge NIL fund to play with, I don’t see him sticking around for more than another year or two.
Yep. I’m starting to believe that time frame. No chance he puts up with the mess that this is becoming.

VN Store

Back