Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

It's also not unsurprising that in the era of the transfer portal, the wrong people counseling high-profile kids will likely always do this every off season to try and shop him around and get the best NIL deal possible. BHH was a starter for pretty much half the season as a true freshmen, so I can't imagine this is basketball related. It screams "give me more money" IMO.

Just picking your post because I went back and when I mentioned BHH possibly bouncing a couple weeks ago you called it "a stupid suggestion" and were adamant he wasn't leaving. Well it's not money related either.

I didnt name the family member thats the problem because no major outlet had posted about BHH possibly leaving yet and I didn't want to out who told me, but its BHH's mom that is the issue. And thats tougher to overcome for a kid than some previous coach or handler. Previous post still stands as its a work ethic issue and whether he wants to go thru all the summer and offseason work or not. Barnes isn't for everyone (not a dig on Barnes at all as I would easily let my kids play for him) especially the ones that constantly need help getting motivated. Those type of kids just don't stick.

Also, too many on here clearly haven't coached or worked with HS kids recently because trying to make logical adult sense of what they are doing and thinking doesn't work. They just think differently and sports overall aren't as important as it was for those that are older. There was a local HS basketball kid that quit in the middle of the season being about 20 points away of 1000 career points. No reason other than he was tired of ball. That type of story is becoming more and more prevalent along with crazy parents. I know a coach who removed a kid from the starting lineup (literally that was it) and the parents tried to file a bullying complaint with the school for that very reason. Seriously that was the complaint. You just have to take the information sometimes for what it is and just shake your head.

Now another aside as it pertains to recruiting is the impact Zakai has had on the way Barnes and Co evaluate kids. Bringing him in has the coaching staff placing a greater emphasis on attitude and toughness than before. Don't be shocked to see us sign more lower ranked kids but kids that have a little more life experience and more dog in them.

Just picking your post because I went back and when I mentioned BHH possibly bouncing a couple weeks ago you called it "a stupid suggestion" and were adamant he wasn't leaving. Well it's not money related either.

I didnt name the family member thats the problem because no major outlet had posted about BHH possibly leaving yet and I didn't want to out who told me, but its BHH's mom that is the issue. And thats tougher to overcome for a kid than some previous coach or handler. Previous post still stands as its a work ethic issue and whether he wants to go thru all the summer and offseason work or not. Barnes isn't for everyone (not a dig on Barnes at all as I would easily let my kids play for him) especially the ones that constantly need help getting motivated. Those type of kids just don't stick.

Also, too many on here clearly haven't coached or worked with HS kids recently because trying to make logical adult sense of what they are doing and thinking doesn't work. They just think differently and sports overall aren't as important as it was for those that are older. There was a local HS basketball kid that quit in the middle of the season being about 20 points away of 1000 career points. No reason other than he was tired of ball. That type of story is becoming more and more prevalent along with crazy parents. I know a coach who removed a kid from the starting lineup (literally that was it) and the parents tried to file a bullying complaint with the school for that very reason. Seriously that was the complaint. You just have to take the information sometimes for what it is and just shake your head.

Now another aside as it pertains to recruiting is the impact Zakai has had on the way Barnes and Co evaluate kids. Bringing him in has the coaching staff placing a greater emphasis on attitude and toughness than before. Don't be shocked to see us sign more lower ranked kids but kids that have a little more life experience and more dog in them.
Dont like that. We need more talent not less.

Reactions: Big time vol
Fwiw as of today Tennessee feels pretty good about their chances with Phillips, obviously things can change but as of this moment they feel confident.
Where are you getting that from? Good news if true seems like Auburn is trying hard here too and they feel good about every recruit they are in on

What is the particular issue BHH's mom has with his current situation? You mention her as the issue, but then the problem being work ethic related.

What is the particular issue BHH's mom has with his current situation? You mention her as the issue, but then the problem being work ethic related.

She is an issue, but the root issue is work ethic. Basically the thought is that BHH could transfer somewhere else and would be handled with "kid gloves but still get lots of playing time" as opposed to Barnes not being one to baby and coddle guys.

Mom is difficult to deal with and isn't going to help in that department apparently. I wasn't given any specific story and honestly I didn't dig that much when that was shared. I assumed its a classic "crazy helicopter mom" type of deal.

To summarize: you've got a kid that struggles to self motivate which is a massive issue for Barnes who is a notorious tough coach, that affects PT, mom doesn't think the tough coaching is the best for BHH and doesn't like lack of PT, therefore you have a kid that potentially won't be here and a parent that will enable the transfer onto supposed easier and greener pastures instead of urging him to work through adversity.

So BHH and mother wasn’t informed by anyone what type of coach or coaching Barnes is before he signed? Barnes didn’t tell them what he expected of him before signing?
That's sort of my issue with it. You have to really have your head buried in the sand to not know what/who Barnes is. He's not handing anything to anyone. That isn't a secret.

In this age of handlers, overbearing parents, moochers, attention seekers, etc etc, kids are under so much heat and really are too often torn by what to do. Who’s really doing what is best for the athlete? I can’t imagine the pressure that a really nice young man (BHH) is going through in trying to please everyone involved. I hope all this is just overblown and that there is nothing to any of the supposed activities taking place.

Definitely saw this coming. Felt like if he was done (gonna try pros) he would have been a part of Senior day, since he wasn't I felt he'd just use the last year to step down a level in competition and play more.

I don't see him staying in the SEC, think he'll probably pick a team near Texas. Could see Texas Tech, they had great success this season with a ton of transfers.

She is an issue, but the root issue is work ethic. Basically the thought is that BHH could transfer somewhere else and would be handled with "kid gloves but still get lots of playing time" as opposed to Barnes not being one to baby and coddle guys.

Mom is difficult to deal with and isn't going to help in that department apparently. I wasn't given any specific story and honestly I didn't dig that much when that was shared. I assumed its a classic "crazy helicopter mom" type of deal.

To summarize: you've got a kid that struggles to self motivate which is a massive issue for Barnes who is a notorious tough coach, that affects PT, mom doesn't think the tough coaching is the best for BHH and doesn't like lack of PT, therefore you have a kid that potentially won't be here and a parent that will enable the transfer onto supposed easier and greener pastures instead of urging him to work through adversity.

No offense, but sounds like you're sharing 3rd of 4th hand information here. Doesn't mean it's not true, but may be something not worth spreading around unless you've got some first hand experience with BHH or his family.

No offense, but sounds like you're sharing 3rd of 4th hand information here. Doesn't mean it's not true, but may be something not worth spreading around unless you've got some first hand experience with BHH or his family.
If this forum only posted primary source information, there would be no posts.

Definitely saw this coming. Felt like if he was done (gonna try pros) he would have been a part of Senior day, since he wasn't I felt he'd just use the last year to step down a level in competition and play more.

I don't see him staying in the SEC, think he'll probably pick a team near Texas. Could see Texas Tech, they had great success this season with a ton of transfers.
Gone to George Mason

Agreed. Also, if I’m a confidante’ of sorts, why am I sharing this personal stuff? I have come to literally believe nothing when it comes to these things shared. I believe them only when they actually happen.

There is a kid named Anthony Black in the McDonald's All American game. He is like a 6'7 point guard and I hear he is tearing it up in McD practices this weekend. I watched some videos online and he is a future NBA'er. He is the lone uncommitted player in the McD AA game. I know we are not currently on his list but we should put a NIL together and go all in on this kid.

There is a kid named Anthony Black in the McDonald's All American game. He is like a 6'7 point guard and I hear he is tearing it up in McD practices this weekend. I watched some videos online and he is a future NBA'er. He is the lone uncommitted player in the McD AA game. I know we are not currently on his list but we should put a NIL together and go all in on this kid.
He’s announcing his decision tonight

VN Store

Back