Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

According to VQ War Room they expect Santi & JJJ back although they’ll likely go through NBA process since they are juniors, they also expect Powell & BHH back but said it may not be totally closed case on BHH so worth watching. Made it sound like he wants to be back but someone in his family/camp may be interested in looking around. No mention about what Bailey plans to do.

I assume they believe Chandler is 100% gone no matter what his projections are? Any discussion of that?

According to VQ War Room they expect Santi & JJJ back although they’ll likely go through NBA process since they are juniors, they also expect Powell & BHH back but said it may not be totally closed case on BHH so worth watching. Made it sound like he wants to be back but someone in his family/camp may be interested in looking around. No mention about what Bailey plans to do.
I can’t imagine the logic why someone would be telling BHH not to return? Work your tail off this off season and come back next year and show out seems like the best advice. If he can consistently score he will get plenty of opportunities to do so.

I can’t imagine the logic why someone would be telling BHH not to return? Work your tail off this off season and come back next year and show out seems like the best advice. If he can consistently score he will get plenty of opportunities to do so.
BHH and Aidoo are the be the guys who can take Tennessee to the the final four. We would have been there this year if they were a year older. I can hardly wait to see next year's team.

Reactions: HeadVol77
You need a really big imagination to understand how some of the influences work in the lives of these kids.

Grant had 4 double doubles and multiple 30 point games as a freshman, and averaged 2 blocks per game on top of it. He was an elite talent and doesn't exist in the same basketball universe as Tamba or even the other two, he wasn't a 3 year project, which was what your initial post said about him. Grant's 40 minute number was a freshman was 19.8/9.3/3blks. I'm not discrediting Barnes, I am simply saying Grant was an extremely talented player from day one.

Kyle was a good defensive big man and Fulkerson was a streaky player with a spurts of good play and spurts of being a ghost, even through his 6th season. Uros is the same way but with worse hands and a lower ceiling than either of those two and he's also less athletic.

This year our post play propelled us to being one of the worst 2pt percentage teams in the country. It was a glaring weak spot on the team, and that was with elite recruits in BHH and Aidoo being brought along. If we are looking a few years down the road and having to ride with Tamba, we are probably in trouble or the staff worked a miracle with him, as we all know being 6'11 and playing in the Knoxville area should mean more than 7/5 on the stat sheet. It will be an exceptional development of him if he becomes a productive SEC big man.

Michigan's big man nearly single handedly beat us last week. We need to keep recruiting there at a very high level at the position. I think Aidoo is especially likely to develop into that kind of player.
Everyone wants to overlook the fact that Brooks scored 23 on us on 100% shooting in the second half. Michigan played exactly like we thought they would except for Brooks who had the freak game of his life. Anyone remember Cline from Purdue? We lost both games on freak nights from unexpected sources.

Everyone wants to overlook the fact that Brooks scored 23 on us on 100% shooting in the second half. Michigan played exactly like we thought they would except for Brooks who had the freak game of his life. Anyone remember Cline from Purdue? We lost both games on freak nights from unexpected sources.
I don’t understand why this always happens to us, like we can’t catch a break

It’s the nature of collegiate athletics, always someone in kids ear.

Grant had 4 double doubles and multiple 30 point games as a freshman, and averaged 2 blocks per game on top of it. He was an elite talent and doesn't exist in the same basketball universe as Tamba or even the other two, he wasn't a 3 year project, which was what your initial post said about him. Grant's 40 minute number was a freshman was 19.8/9.3/3blks. I'm not discrediting Barnes, I am simply saying Grant was an extremely talented player from day one.

Kyle was a good defensive big man and Fulkerson was a streaky player with a spurts of good play and spurts of being a ghost, even through his 6th season. Uros is the same way but with worse hands and a lower ceiling than either of those two and he's also less athletic.

This year our post play propelled us to being one of the worst 2pt percentage teams in the country. It was a glaring weak spot on the team, and that was with elite recruits in BHH and Aidoo being brought along. If we are looking a few years down the road and having to ride with Tamba, we are probably in trouble or the staff worked a miracle with him, as we all know being 6'11 and playing in the Knoxville area should mean more than 7/5 on the stat sheet. It will be an exceptional development of him if he becomes a productive SEC big man.

Michigan's big man nearly single handedly beat us last week. We need to keep recruiting there at a very high level at the position. I think Aidoo is especially likely to develop into that kind of player.

You're carrying water for an argument I'm not even making though. It's not a "Tamba is as good as X, Y, or Z" argument. My initial point, was that every big we've had success with under Barnes has stayed 3 years or longer to develop. So even if you think Grant wasn't a 3 year project he still stayed here 3 years to develop.

To put it simply I think Tamba can be developed, and I'm hoping that happens. You're already implying he's a bust with that bold statement and I don't get why our fans are doing that for a player they've not seen play a single second as a Vol.

Yeah, that seems to go unmentioned. I get the freak 3-pointers that Dickinson hit was out of character, but we left him wide open and it isn't like he shot 17% on 25 attempts during the season. He was shooting 31% on 60 attempts, which is more than solid for a 7-foot center.

Brooks setting a season-high in points, nearly doubling his season average, was the out of character result that probably cost us the game.

Someone in his camp either has their hand out, or believes they know how to prepare BHH more than Rick Barnes and his staff. They likely believe he's the best player on the team and that he should never leave the floor. It happens all the time with high-profile kids, and especially those who breakout at a young age like BHH did. He was a national recruit as a freshman and people got their hooks in him early while he was especially impressionable. Hopefully he is listening to the right people.

Someone in his camp either has their hand out, or believes they know how to prepare BHH more than Rick Barnes and his staff. They likely believe he's the best player on the team and that he should never leave the floor. It happens all the time with high-profile kids, and especially those who breakout at a young age like BHH did. He was a national recruit as a freshman and people got their hooks in him early while he was especially impressionable. Hopefully he is listening to the right people.

Doesn't help with the free transfer either. Cause BHH is good enough that if he goes anywhere else and plays 25 mpg or more he'll likely have good enough numbers to get drafted. So even though he may not grow as a player somewhere else that person will see it as "I was right" because he could get drafted.

What more time with Barnes could offer him isn't just "get drafted" but also "get better" so you're producing at a high enough level in the league to actually get the BIG 2nd contract that really sets you up long term

It's also not unsurprising that in the era of the transfer portal, the wrong people counseling high-profile kids will likely always do this every off season to try and shop him around and get the best NIL deal possible. BHH was a starter for pretty much half the season as a true freshmen, so I can't imagine this is basketball related. It screams "give me more money" IMO.

I’m not totally surprise about BHH. They think he’s better in an uptempo offense

I’m not totally surprise about BHH. They think he’s better in an uptempo offense
Which I find interesting because it seemed every time he tried to play fast he got out of control and lost the ball. (I might just be remembering a select few times he tried to dribble around a defender or make a post move too fast and lost the ball.)

Reactions: AngryButchJones

It's just an example of how important it is to take advice from people that give good advice because there is LOTS of bad advice that is offered by people. This person in his camp has a serious perspective problem if they want BHH to look around. The way he was handled and the NIGHT AND DAY difference from the beginning of the season to the end of the season is a clear example of why a kid like him is exactly where he needs to be. It certainly seems like his natural-bent is to be very laid back, easy going on the court. Always had success with that attitude because of his physical attributes. Instead of being coddled UT forced him to mature as an athlete and a competitor. And while he still lacked some skills and awareness to be completely effective at the end of the season, his attitude/effort/competitive fire were all much better down the stretch. He is exactly where he needs to be if he wants to actually become the best player possible and to have the longest NBA career possible. If he leaves to go somewhere that will be "easier" for him then that will enable his natural tendencies to be too lax. Hope for his sake he doesn't listen to that advice.

VN Store

Back