Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Don't forget Jalen Johnson as a possible option coming off the bench and I wonder if Pember might redshirt next season and Kent will be back next season too.
I didn't forget about JJ, just don't think he will be in the 2 deep, unless he becomes more aggressive on both ends of the floor. If I have to pick a grad transfer from next year's roster, I think JJ will be that guy

I didn't forget about JJ, just don't think he will be in the 2 deep, unless he becomes more aggressive on both ends of the floor. If I have to pick a grad transfer from next year's roster, I think JJ will be that guy
I agree, also I think it's in pember's and the team's best interest for him to redshirt next year because we won't need him and gives him another year to develop. I could be wrong but I think the plan was to redshirt him this year but obviously we can't and we will need him to play this year at some points.

Reactions: The Dog
Lol, you are acting as if the first 3 games of the season define his whole season. Let's see where he is at during SEC play before we make any judgement.
No judgement and I am not knocking the young man. All these saying one and done are delusional. Just and opinion just like you have dude!

Reactions: VOLED
I don't have an opinion yet because I think it's too early to formulate a well-informed one at this point in the season considering he missed the entire preseason.
Glad you don't but my opinion has not changed since he signed, he is not a one and done talent.

Matthew Murrel opts for Ole Miss, pretty shocking....seemed like Vandy was a given or Auburn possibly if not? Doesn’t even consider Memphis? Commits to Ole Miss.

I'm back...I promised in an older thread I'd comment if he didn't go to Memphis.
What I thought at the time...was that Memphis might get him...but after Jerry Stackhouse hired Murrel's old HS coach...I thought there might be an understanding between Penny and Farigi(?) (old hs coach) that the kid would sign with Vandy...so we backed off.
I'm not an insider or anything of the sort...heck I had to move north to Western Kentucky...where my wife is from (Madisonville,KY).
As it stands..we'll prolly lose Wiseman and Achiuwa this year...but we don't lose any guards this year.
I think next year maybe Boogie and Quinones...possibly Baugh may look at the draft...but they still need some seasoning this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: LorettoVolfan
They might wanna start catching some of them, for example Jaden Springer chose Tennessee over Memphis.

I guess when you can’t give $13k to everyone recruiting get a bit tougher?!

Penny was a HS coach then.
There was no way in the world that anyone knew he was going to be the head coach at Memphis in two years.
There is a high profile sports lawyer from New York who argues that Penny's $1,000,000 donation did not make him a booster...as he donated to the school, not the Athletic Dept.

1/ James Wiseman is eligible to play, Coach Penny Hardaway is not a booster, and University of Memphis President M. David Rudd and Athletic Director Laird Veatch are taking an unusual stance--they're doing the right thing for James, Penny, and the school!

2/ Under the NCAA Constitution, only President Rudd can determine whether James is eligible—not the NCAA, which tries to bully and intimidate its members to do what it says, but President Rudd has told them to pound salt. So James IS eligible unless and until he says he's not.

3/ James is not alleged to have done anything wrong. James' mother is alleged to have accepted financial help to move her family from James' high school coach, who was Penny Hardaway. That is not illegal, immoral, or wrong. Instead, it was a charitable act by Penny.

4/ Penny was not a booster, which is defined in part as a person who has "made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution," because he gave to neither. He was also not listed as a booster by the University.

5/ In 2008, Penny gave a tax-deductible million dollar donation to the University of Memphis, a charitable non-profit 501©(3), for a sports hall of fame, of which he would be in first as a star Tigers BB player and then as a star NBA player. It was a very good deed by Penny.

6/ Even if he had been labeled a booster, under NCAA bylaws, that designation is either "presumed" or "indefinite," as there are two competing definitions, neither of which has defined thresholds or parameters. So a $1 contribution is the same as a $1MM one.

7/ Also, since no one stays in any man-made category forever, which factors are to be considered in determining when a booster status expires is unstated? Without a threshold and duration, there is no enforceable definition, which is construed against the NCAA by a court.

8/ Boosters can only violate NCAA bylaw chapters 13 on recruiting and 16 on benefits for enrolled athletes. Penny was a high school coach, when he gave a high school player's mother money to help with moving costs, so even if he was a booster, neither of these would apply.

9/ James is black and a projected first-round draft pick. Penny is black and has had a great career, plus we need more black college BB coaches. Why is the NCAA attacking James' mother and his coach, when one needed financial help, and the other was kind enough to give it? Why?

10/ Both James, Penny, and the University have actionable claims against the NCAA for breach of contract and tortious interference with contract. James' mother has a claim for invasion of privacy. Any claims will be tried in state court in Memphis. The NCAA would get hammered.

11/ The NCAA is evil personified at the most petty level. They have attacked a fine young man, his mother, and a splendid coach, who have done nothing in the least bit wrong. President Rudd and AD Veatch should be applauded and thanked for recognizing the equities here. Courage!

We’ve talked a lot about the three man class, of Jaden Springer (No. 15 nationally), Keon Johnson(No. 18 nationally) and Corey Walker Jr. (No. 33 nationally) but you just can’t overstate the remarkable job that Barnes & Co. have done in raising the profile of this program to the point that they are able to not just get their foot in the door with talent like this but to get these guys on campus repeatedly and then close the deal. It shows no signs of slowing down either, not with 2021 prospects like Paolo Banchero (No. 2 nationally) and Kennedy Chandler (No. 12) having been on campus for official visits last month. Tennessee doesn’t have a designated recruiter on its staff, all the assistant coaches are involved with evaluating and then developing relationships with prospects and their families, but this year though assistant coach Desmond Oliver deserves a special shout out.
He was the lead recruiter for each of the Vols’ three signees and knocked it out of the park. Oliver was the first member of Tennessee’s staff to see and then subsequently offer Johnson. He took over Springer’s recruitment after Rob Lanier left for the Georgia State job last year and he was the main guy responsible for finding and landing Walker Jr. That’s not to say that no one else is pulling their weight, all the assistants take a role in recruiting guys and all have made their mark. Mike Schwartz was responsible for Tennessee beating out Duke and others for Josiah-Jordan James last year and Kim English is the guy who got Tennessee in with Banchero and sold him on taking an official visit. It just worked out that this was a huge year for Oliver who is now the lone guy who has been with Barnes for each of the five seasons he’s now been in Knoxville.
Looking further down the road, look for Tennessee reach out and offer 2022 guard Roddy Gayle, currently the No. 38 ranked player in that class, in the near future. He’s from Niagra Falls, N.Y., which may seem like a reach for Tennessee. However, Oliver is from Buffalo and that’s where the tie is. Tennessee will be in to see him on Friday.
-VQ

No judgement and I am not knocking the young man. All these saying one and done are delusional. Just and opinion just like you have dude!
Agreed. Bowden and turner are the first two scoring options and looks like Turner will be handling the majority of the point. Hey, if the kid blossoms then that’s great for us. I remember watching him in the AA game and it was much the same, very passive.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Interesting note: the signees are 3 of our top 10 247 recruits of all-time and 2 of our top 5.

Tennessee All Time Basketball Recruits

Assuming JJJ stays next season, we will have 4 of our top 10 all-time recruits on one team.

Yet again proving that CRB's inability to recruit the stars early on here had everything to do with the state of our program and its perception as all reasonable fans could see

VN Store

Back