Tennessee, Virginia AG's Sue NCAA

The sport is a mess already--or hadn't you noticed?

Correct me if this is wrong, but it's my understanding that NIL was conceived for /current/ student-athletes at a college/university--meaning players already in school and playing. It was not conceived to be used as a recruiting tool for bribing high-school prospects. I think that is at least part of the issue here.

Also, I'm not sure why any state that has D1 colleges with football programs--but football programs that are not nearly at the level of the major-conference football crazies--would want to take part in a lawsuit of this nature, as they will never compete financially with the P5 crazies. Why would Kansas, New Jersey, Connecticut, Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico, to name a few--want to join a lawsuit aimed at allowing the big-conference big boys and their wild-eyed boosters to throw money willy-nilly at high-school prospects? They don't have the programs or money to compete with the big crazies--so why would they support an unregulated market that favors the big boys?
It doesn't matter what NIL was "conceived as".
The NCAA interfering with NIL in ANY way is illegal. It's a violation of the federal Interstate Commerce Act. It's a restraint of trade on the athletes.

The NCAA already has their butts handed to them about NIL by the 9-0 NCAA vs Alston case. For being supposedly smart college folks, they're being stupid about this.

College Sports have a major issue and frankly it has been around for a long time. The NCAA should die because it had selective enforcement/investigation and clearly had favorites. I am not sure if it is even specific programs but rather certain coaches/regimes. For example, I don't think Alabama or Georgia had favoritism prior to Saban/Smart but clearly Finebaum, the mainstream media, and NCAA had a hard on for that regime (probably because it brought $$$; everything goes back to $$$). The coincidence of all of Saban's rivals being investigated during his run, the textbook scandal, landing #1 class right off the bat in 2007 from a fallen program, the Pruitt connections and getting caught, etc. It is just too much. Alabama got little love prior to Saban so it isn't Alabama, it is Saban (and Smart now) that have the dirty regimes. Frankly, all the schools were doing it though, it was just the NCAA was picky and choosy on who they went after and who they didn't. NIL at least has it out in the open for everyone to see now. My point about Alabama is they got hit by some of the worse sanctions in the 1990s and frankly, those sanctions at the time were ridiculous and unfair.

People defending the old regime cannot respond to this as paying players has been a thing since at least the 1970s. The key difference now is that we can see it openly and NCAA can't just pick on certain schools/regimes and ignore other infractions now.

I am very proud of our state leadership! To have Virginia as a sidecar in this is so strong. Many people may not realize, but the state of Virginia and it’s universities legal reputations are historically stellar. That they are partnering with us is also a high compliment to our state as well!

Despite Animal House being widely viewed, many do not know the line. You always get a few on here to correct you about the German part. I thought you mentioned the line on purpose for that reason. Always cracks me up.
It is hilarious. That movie reminds me of my fraternity days. I graduated the year it came out. It’s one of my top 5 movies of all time.

Reactions: VolDave53
Hey Franklin, where are you seeing this? Thanks!
This came from someone I know that’s is connected to the state government here in Nashville. This person didn’t say these states WOULD join but have reached out and have an interest in the outcome and seem willing to explore joining. Let’s hope TX joins. That has the power of multiple division 1 universities.

Reactions: OrangeEtBlanc
This came from someone I know that’s is connected to the state government here in Nashville. This person didn’t say these states WOULD join but have reached out and have an interest in the outcome and seem willing to explore joining. Let’s hope TX joins. That has the power of multiple division 1 universities.
Makes sense. Tennessee won't be the last school that the NCAA would go after over NIL. Anyone with a brain would understand that. Texas, Texas A&M could be targets. Ole Miss could be a target. Florida, Florida State, and Miami are or have been targets.

Kinda weird how the NCAA doesn't go sniffing around the state of Alabama. Maybe it just smells too bad there.

Reactions: davethevol
Makes sense. Tennessee won't be the last school that the NCAA would go after over NIL. Anyone with a brain would understand that. Texas, Texas A&M could be targets. Ole Miss could be a target. Florida, Florida State, and Miami are or have been targets.

Kinda weird how the NCAA doesn't go sniffing around the state of Alabama. Maybe it just smells too bad there.
I’ll be honest, the allegations against Tennessee seems to have the fingerprints of an Alabama origin. Saban hates NIL and was definitely pissed he didn’t land Nico. NIL and the changing college landscape that allowed a school like Alabama to cheat under the table, leveled the playing field in terms of payouts to players.

I've been chewing on this since we rightly have gone full nuclear on the NCAA, and what I'm arriving at is... sometimes it sucks being in the right. I'm beyond proud of Donde Plowman, Danny White and Johnathan Skrmetti, but at the same time I've got mixed feelings about the long game.

I'm inclined to think Tennessee (the state, not the university) and Virginia are ultimately going to win. And just like Alston said the NCAA can't restrict educational benefits, Tennessee and Virginia is going to say there's no procompetitive justification for the NCAA to restrict what's going on with NIL money. It's another step closer to the inevitable, and student-athletes being able to get paid directly by the universities instead of these nudge-nudge, wink-wink NIL contracts.

I admire Plowman for calling a spade a spade, and saying it's intellectually dishonest what the NCAA is doing here. Athletes in a multibillion dollar industry should be able to share in the actual sports revenue. Period. It doesn't matter at all if it's tied to everyone's favorite alma mater. But instead of truly reform, the NCAA tried to greenlight NIL and then blew a gasket when it didn't go how they wanted. So I guess it's time to rip off the bandaid, sue the bejeezus out of the NCAA and get a step closer to what Kavanaugh alluded to already in his Alston concurrence. What the NCAA is doing trying to cling to this veneer of amateurism is flatly illegal. And eventually, the right case is going to make it to the Supreme Court and that'll be that.

And then the fun starts.

Because then once that revenue starts going to athletes directly, athletic departments are going to have to take a long, long look at their operations and how they're going to manage all the other programs that have grown to depend on that fat TV money, and how they're going to remain compliant with Title IX, and a whole raft of other problems. So much is probably going to wind up changing, and not all of it good. And it's easy to think that what comes after will be something less than, for a lot of people who aren't involved in football or basketball. I'm proud of Tennessee and its role in setting things right. But I'm also bummed that it's us, pretty much the same way that the attorney who won NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma was bummed at what winning eventually meant.

My guess is Florida is next, they like fighting in court these days.

Reactions: davethevol
Unless I missed something, is there a particular reason Virginia is joining us in this? Are any of their programs being investigated for similar issues? Or are they just doing what they feel is right for the sport and NIL in general?

Unless I missed something, is there a particular reason Virginia is joining us in this? Are any of their programs being investigated for similar issues? Or are they just doing what they feel is right for the sport and NIL in general?

Rumor is that the AG went to James Madison and NCAA tried to (and to an extent) screw over James Madison about going to bowl game and several other issues. That is my best guess, however.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols

VN Store

Back