Tennessee, Virginia AG's Sue NCAA

Who wants to bet the NCAA didn't want this leaked by Forde? They've really stepped in it this time.
This!

I’m certain those AG’s in TN / VA will smoke out all the rats in the NCAA that leaked it to SI during the discovery process - besides finally drowning the last vestiges of SI, I’m hoping that Pat Forde will be able to reflect and be comfortable drawing unemployment sooner rather than later.

If I were a SI shareholder, I’d be suing the “leadership” there before their stock tanks anymore for allowing almost a real-time disclosure of something an official “notice of allegations” had been released by NCAA.

Shame on you Pat and the now meaningless SI publication…. Lawyer up stockholders!

“While the NCAA generally does not comment on specific infractions cases, it is important to remember that NCAA member schools and conferences not only make the rules but routinely call for greater enforcement of those rules and holding violators accountable. In recent years, this has been especially true as it relates to establishing and enforcing a consistent set of national rules intended to manage the name, image and likeness environment. This legal action would exacerbate what our members themselves have frequently described as a “wild west” atmosphere, further tilting competitive imbalance among schools in neighboring states, and diminishing protections for student-athletes from potential exploitation. The NCAA remains firmly committed to protecting and expanding student-athletes’ NIL rights and opportunities. However, our membership has steadfastly supported the prohibition on impermissible recruiting contacts, booster involvement in recruiting prospects and the use of NIL offers as recruiting inducements.”
NCAA

NCAA full response/statement

Read carefully the quote"... further tilting competitive imbalance among schools in neighboring states... "
Think they're taking about Bama and UGA?

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
This lawsuit alone will bring out forced discovery of the NCAA. Their emails, investigations procedures, who is on the hit list and why. Who is not on the hit list and why. Discovery will include not only emails, memos, meeting minutes, guidance and etc.
The more the schools the more discovery and depth.
It will be like turning a landfield upside down.

Follow it up with a Defamation suit and the NCAA will be history. We will know the reason Emmert left and how bad the NCAA is for College Athletics.

Just like the PAC-12 withered & died in basically a year’s time, the NCAA might suffer the same quick demise, with only a shell of itself left after the consequences of their malfeasance come home to roost.

Also, I find it encouraging that Virginia joined us in this lawsuit. If UT truly did break some supposed “rules,” I would think the VA AG would be far less likely to stick his neck out in joining. Seems to me, then, that this is no bluff on UT’s part.

Could the NCAA picked a worse messenger than Pat Forde to spring this? It‘s like putting out a fire using gasoline.
I posted this in another thread but going to repost here based on some of the conversation…

People are underestimating UT here. UT wanted this to hit the media so they could release the letter they had been working on for weeks and so the AG could file his suit he has been working on and colluding with Virginia on for weeks.

Some of you are gullible to believe that it was NCAA and not UT that caused all the media leaks.

UT delivered the letter on Monday to NCAA and someone KNEW there was a letter and to FOI request it and UT actually released it ALL by Tuesday afternoon then AG filed Wednesday morning. Come on people think.

UT went on the OFFENSE in December when NCAA President refused to meet with them

We’re about to see what happens when a governing organization practices Lawfare against its member institutions. At one point they were the most powerful governing body in our country, largely working independent of state or federal oversight. NIL took their teeth, now we get to watch the death spiral.

As a former NCAA athlete I couldn’t be happier. The archaic rules they had when I was in school wouldn’t allow us to work while we were in school, to earn more than the cost of “normal expenses” not covered by scholarship, and they determined what those normal expenses were.

Saw a headline on the News-Sentinel site about fans referring to the Chancellor as the GOAT. I can see it now - her picture on an orange sweatshirt with GOAT labeling with fans fist bumping as they meet at games

Saw a headline on the News-Sentinel site about fans referring to the Chancellor as the GOAT. I can see it now - her picture on an orange sweatshirt with GOAT labeling with fans fist bumping as they meet at games
Merch idea. Jerseys with the name ‘Donde “The Goat“ ‘ on he backside

Reactions: volfannga
They wanted the original story leaked. They’re the ones who leaked it to multiple media outlets. I’m sure they thought public support would shift their way and put the pressure on Tennessee to cooperate. It didn’t. You got media coming out and calling it a witch hunt; heck a lot of the ones doing this are alums at other conference schools. Everyone sees what’s at stake.
I sincerely wish this same dynamic would occur on the national level with the news media.

I think it's only a matter of time before states like Florida, Texas, and others join in. Tennessee wouldn't be the last school that the NCAA goes after on its current witch hunt.
I am proud of VA for jumping into the fray. You would think FL with 3 schools already under NCAA attack would be the next to join the fight.

That’s our Governor right there!
The only thing I can think of from an NCAA stand point is that their end-game "rules of regulation" for NIL was getting no legs, so they picked a school to "poke the bear", knowing that nothing will ever come of existing threats, where penalties pre-date the existing rules. What if they're doing this to maximize the attention on the topic to get everyone's attention to level set the "rules", again, all knowing that this stuff today is hogwash.
Not sure if the NCAA is that calculating. But a court injunction to preclude NCAA penalties until a court approved set of rules is in place for FUTURE enforcement would be a great outcome.

Can someone post the Outkick interview with the TN AG? Should be on Twitter.

He outlines a lot of what they’re looking at and how long they’ve been preparing. Also cites the case against FSU is actually what shifted this into high gear. Basically outlines their case.

Outkick Hot Mic has the episode with Tn AG. Jonathan Hutton and Chad Withrow hosted the interview and agree it was great. The AG has really put alot of effort into this for some time.

The NCAA took our kindness for a weakness. Since we worked with them so easily through the JP case, maybe they expected us to roll over again and allow them to gain more control with the rules through our example. They misjudged. They have shaken the hornets nest and will feel it.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

VN Store

Back