Tennessee, Virginia AG's Sue NCAA

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
Who wants to bet the NCAA didn't want this leaked by Forde? They've really stepped in it this time.
I can't understand why they'd leak this to someone like Forde, and expect him not to run with it. Him and Chris Dodd are two of their most reliable anti-Tennessee publishers of leaks in the whole sports-media complex. Can't imagine what they're hoping to accomplish, if not suicide. Plowman and the TN AG are gonna expose all kinds of fun in discovery...

Who wants to bet the NCAA didn't want this leaked by Forde? They've really stepped in it this time.
They wanted the original story leaked. They’re the ones who leaked it to multiple media outlets. I’m sure they thought public support would shift their way and put the pressure on Tennessee to cooperate. It didn’t. You got media coming out and calling it a witch hunt; heck a lot of the ones doing this are alums at other conference schools. Everyone sees what’s at stake.

The NCAA is a bunch of bureaucrats who feel the need to stay or look busy. They see their relevancy waning. They want to stay employed so they do something like this that will keep them employed for years. Reminds me of a lot of govt. aparatchiks (SP). College athletics needs a governing body but the NCAA has earned the right to be replaced by something else.

Additionally, some in the NCAA are mad at UT for "getting away" with using NIL to get Nico. They are mad because courts and legislatures have made it legal outside of their control. So they do what bureaucrats do. Find a way to make things the way they want and to hell with their constituents.

Now, if we could only get the other 48 states to join in...
It's a novel idea, but unless a school is being questioned by NCAA like Florida/Va/Tenn, it's not realistic to think other schools are going to take up a cause that could possible ding a rival school. Until your ox is gored, most schools like seeing their arch rivals taken down. Can you imagine Tenn trying to help Bama or Georgia if they were being investigated ?

It's a novel idea, but unless a school is being questioned by NCAA like Florida/Va/Tenn, it's not realistic to think other schools are going to take up a cause that could possible ding a rival school. Until your ox is gored, most schools like seeing their arch rivals taken down. Can you imagine Tenn trying to help Bama or Georgia if they were being investigated ?

The defense will drive whether this drags out or not (i.e. NCAA's case).

People criticize how long our cases take but don't quite understand the right to Speedy Trial. That right was only a limitation on the Government side. The reason big profile cases (think OJ Simpson case in 1990s) go so long is the defense drags it out and they have a right to based on the other rights promised to defendants.

Now something that could move very fast is the injunction on any NCAA enforcements which would mean the NCAA would not be able to put sanctions on Tennessee (or frankly any school in Tennessee's position).

If a school employs an AD that’s shortsighted enough to not see the issue? Sure. Again everyone knows this is about NIL, it doesn’t stop at Tennessee. Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Ole Miss, etc all of those programs would be looked at.

Reactions: walkenvol and Honky
If a school employs an AD that’s shortsighted enough to not see the issue? Sure. Again everyone knows this is about NIL, it doesn’t stop at Tennessee. Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Ole Miss, etc all of those programs would be looked at.

The key won't be the schools but State ADs. I do think more states may join it or at the very least will have a wait and see approach. Also, this isn't the only situation of the NCAA being sued right now, it is just getting the media attention.

Reactions: BristolVol
Someone cited that Virginia joined because of the NCAA regulations of James Madison. That sounds like a good reasoning.

Reactions: Honky
That is the reason you expose situations at those schools that you know exist. Being the victim will get you nailed. We have seen it too many times.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I actually bet it was the NCAA that pushed this to Forde, knowing he's an anti-UT blowhard. They're arrogant, wanted to be ahead, and grossly miscalculated how much support they'd have. All it did was force Tennessee's guns out.

I’ll say it now, and in the theme of no publicity is bad publicity, we will ultimately benefit from this. UT will be the media bell cow at the forefront of the NIL battle even after all of these other states begin to join the fight. Ultimately no penalties and lots of free pub. Remember these words. 😉👍🏽

Remember the Alamo!

The key won't be the schools but State ADs. I do think more states may join it or at the very least will have a wait and see approach. Also, this isn't the only situation of the NCAA being sued right now, it is just getting the media attention.
As far as lawsuits yes. As far as NCAA being a governing body, it’s a problem for them if several schools and this conferences decide to govern themselves.

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back