Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey enters NCAA transfer portal

oh good Lord. The attributes are a strong arm and doesn’t run like a 70 year old that needs a hip replacement. Once Huepel was asked about Bailey in a PC and he talked about his leadership qualities and other attributes. Do you know what he didn’t mention? Not one thing about his physical capabilities. If that doesn’t tell you all you need to know, then i don’t know what does.

You do know that the post that I responded to, was referencing Joe Milton having 'attributes of an SEC QB', right?

Reactions: 508mikey
Is Bailey eligible "immediately"? If so, LSU could use him right now, as their starter just transferred out to ATM, and their #2, Nussmeier, they are trying NOT to play in their bowl game, as he would lose his redshirt -- though they are trying to get a special dispensation (on what grounds?). So, absent 1 and 2, they are down to walk-on Qbs for their bowl. I don't know why you internet warriors feel a need to bash a kid like Bailey, but the fact is, he is very much like LSU's starter Max Johnson who just left.
My guess is Bailey wants to see the field. I don't see him signing up to compete with Nussmeier and 5-star freshman Walker Howard. I'm thinking Georgia Tech.

No one was going to beat out Milton. He was handed the keys to the caddy.
Injury forced coaches hand. Not saying Bailey would have beat anyone out, but no one was getting the nod over Milton.
That's water under the bridge now and the cream did rise to the top.
Hopefully everyone learned a valuable lesson. Best of luck to Bailey wherever he lands.
What lesson is that?

Milton looked the best in practice and the team was responding to his leadership, so he got the nod. When he didn't play well, coach gave him another chance. When he continued to not play well, coach changed QBs. I don't understand what lesson is to be learned here.

What lesson is that?

Milton looked the best in practice and the team was responding to his leadership, so he got the nod. When he didn't play well, coach gave him another chance. When he continued to not play well, coach changed QBs. I don't understand what lesson is to be learned here.
He got injured, that's why Hooker played. Not because " he continued not to play well"
Lesson learned>>>coach was wrong. And it's obvious. No one is infallible.

My guess is Bailey wants to see the field. I don't see him signing up to compete with Nussmeier and 5-star freshman Walker Howard. I'm thinking Georgia Tech.
You're probably right.
On related note, Brennan, the LSU Qb before Max Johnson, has now stepped back out from the portal.

No one was going to beat out Milton. He was handed the keys to the caddy.
Injury forced coaches hand. Not saying Bailey would have beat anyone out, but no one was getting the nod over Milton.
That's water under the bridge now and the cream did rise to the top.
Hopefully everyone learned a valuable lesson. Best of luck to Bailey wherever he lands.

Bailey could’ve played his hand and beaten out Hooker for the #2 spot if Milton was really handed the keys. Had he done that, then we could be talking.

The thing is that even after Hooker established himself as the leader of this team, Milton was still 1st off the bench ahead of Bailey.

I don’t hate Bailey at all, and wish him the best, but he wasn’t screwed out of anything. He was the Joey Matthews of this year. Highly rated kid who never panned out because he wasn’t as good as his ratings suggested.

Bailey could’ve played his hand and beaten out Hooker for the #2 spot if Milton was really handed the keys. Had he done that, then we could be talking.

The thing is that even after Hooker established himself as the leader of this team, Milton was still 1st off the bench ahead of Bailey.

I don’t hate Bailey at all, and wish him the best, but he wasn’t screwed out of anything. He was the Joey Matthews of this year. Highly rated kid who never panned out because he wasn’t as good as his ratings suggested.

And clearly showed there is no chance of winning anything with him as QB. This was highlighted with him giving up on the last play of the game vs Ole Miss and running out of bounds. The sooner Milton transfers out, the better. Our ability to win drastically goes down the minute he touches the football along with anyone else not named Hendon.

Brennan going back to LSU. I'm not sure if this applies here as Bailey was never gonna play in the SEC again, but it might mean there's not a great QB market out there.

He got injured, that's why Hooker played. Not because " he continued not to play well"
Lesson learned>>>coach was wrong. And it's obvious. No one is infallible.
That's not true either. Milton was available the very next game. He likely could have returned in the Pitt game.

By ALL accounts Hooker had a poor August camp. He still finished ahead of Bailey.

I'm not claiming I know why but even after Milton performed as badly as he did... Bailey remained 3rd.

Bailey was a great HS QB who had a dominant receiver to help him out. He does not have the athleticism most successful college QB's have now. He does not have elite arm strength. He does not have elite accuracy. He seems to make good decisions and have a pretty quick release.

He got beaten out by Hooker in every way and at least physically by Milton.

Notice that his name really isn't tossed around when the national talking heads talk about the needs of high level programs. 247 has re-rated him as a 3* transfer prospect.

Er ah so did Hooker. Heupel had his finger on the scale … obviously.
Don't think so. Those allowed to see practice said that Hooker had a poor August camp.

Bailey never reached higher than 3rd. He came out of spring 3rd behind HH and Maurer. He came out of August 3rd behind HH and Milton. There's very likely a "fit" issue physically speaking... but that didn't keep him from beating the others with arm and head. And he didn't.

And clearly showed there is no chance of winning anything with him as QB. This was highlighted with him giving up on the last play of the game vs Ole Miss and running out of bounds. The sooner Milton transfers out, the better. Our ability to win drastically goes down the minute he touches the football along with anyone else not named Hendon.

Hate to break it to you, but you’re more than likely stuck with Milton at #2 for at least 1 more year.

“Everybody’s path is different, right?” said Kyle Hayes, Milton’s high school coach at Orlando (Fla.) Olympia High and mentor. “Joe’s still gaining mental experience at Tennessee. You’re always an ankle sprain away from being the starter. Just ask Hendon Hooker. He did an excellent job this year — I mean he came in and did what he was supposed to do. And Joe has to do the same thing, when an opportunity is there, be ready. He loves Knoxville, he really enjoys the coaches, the coaching. So it’s a positive for him. Everybody wants to play. But the thing is, you don’t have to be a three- or four-year starter to get your shot in the NFL.”

Rexrode: Tennessee’s recruiting was the first, and last, thing we had to question about Josh Heupel
Rexrode: Tennessee's recruiting was the first, and last, thing we had to question about Josh Heupel

What lesson is that?

I think Milton was injured and Hooker relieved him. Hooker never game up the job and look how it worker out. 7&5 with a likely Bowl win. I also think Milton will transfer at some time in the near future if he can find a team who wants him.

I think Milton was injured and Hooker relieved him. Hooker never game up the job and look how it worker out. 7&5 with a likely Bowl win. I also think Milton will transfer at some time in the near future if he can find a team who wants him.
Unless Jackson comes in and takes the backup spot, I think Milton will be here until he graduates.. right now the 2023 QB1 job is his to lose.

VN Store

Back