Tennessee can't afford to fire CJP

Methinks thee may want to examine the functioning of thine own brain. Pretty much everyone who has a working cerebrum thought the extension was crazy and wildly premature; turns out we were right.
Actually it doesn't prove you right as you have no way of predicting what will happen before Pruitt's contract is up, absolutely zero chance of predicting what could happen between now and then.

Learn correct punctuation, before “methinks”.
Maybe you should learn a little about the English language before you try to correct someone with an advanced degree in English and make yourself look like a fool in the process. "Methinks" is one word, genius; it goes back to the sixteenth century. There was this writer from England, a guy named Willie Shakespeare, who used it once or twice in his plays.

I don't see another win on the schedule. It's true they probably can't afford to fire Pruitt. If things stay the course though this may end up a 2-8 team. They're paying Pruitt and his staff a awful lot of money for the garbage we've seen this year. Right now if you had to put betting odds on if Jeremy Pruitt survives at Tennessee past 2022 they'd be less than 20%.. He doesn't have a QB right now and the offensive system looks dated.

Actually it doesn't prove you right as you have no way of predicting what will happen before Pruitt's contract is up, absolutely zero chance of predicting what could happen between now and then.
This makes every bit as much sense as stating that years of mismanagement in a corporation, as evinced by flagging revenue, are no indicator of the future of the company if it remains under the same leadership. You're implying that somehow magically Pruitt will suddenly demonstrate great coaching prowess and miraculously, overnight, cease getting blown out every time we play a team that matters (or, these days, even the basement dwellers we have pummeled mercilessly for decades), cease playing one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of the program despite reams of evidence that said quarterback is holding back the entire team, cease failing to develop most of the roster from year to year such that we look no better now than we did in his first year, etc.; said implication has exponentially less logic and reason behind it - less chance of being a reasonable prediction - than does mine.

We have been in this position before and the big splash hires did not seem interested in working for the Vols. Has something changed? I was all for the big splash hire the last 3 times but it never materialized (Feeling if you want to beat Bama you need to start taking their recruits). It seems that the administration does not want to make a big splash and the big splash coaches don't want to work here. I don't see a solution.
What high profile coach said no? When Dooley was hired, it was terrible timing and we had to scramble to get a coach. The last two times we just went bargain shopping. Does the fact that Greg Schiano was our #1 guy not tell you anything? The people making the decisions haven't been committed to getting an elite coach. Look at how much we have been paying too. Schools like Bama are paying their coaches way more. If you pay mediocre salaries the quality of your coaching will be mediocre.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
The athletic dept doesn’t have the money to swing it. But the boosters do.

Big picture says poor attendance next year will cost us either way. It comes down to whether you can secure an upgrade.

Dave Hart was a lousy AD except for one thing. He found Rick Barnes BEFORE cutting bait with Tyndall. That’s how this should go down. No more 5th choice after a disastrous coaching search.

TIFWIW...I talked to a close friend today who IS a huge donor. Difference making donor (no reflection on me as a person we’ve just been close friends for a long time). His exact words were this “Jeremy has always been a 5 year hire regardless of what happens”. He also expressed concern and disappointment with the struggles but said to dismiss all that’s happened this year (you know - 2020) would be very dishonest to the situation. I’m certainly not an insider but I feel this is the climate of the situation with the people who actually matter when it comes to firing Jeremy.
Pruitt has raised more red flags THIS year than in first two years. His hires have been dubious, didn’t want to upgrade his QB situation, and is micromanaging both sides of the ball.

Pruitt has raised more red flags THIS year than in first two years. His hires have been dubious, didn’t want to upgrade his QB situation, and is micromanaging both sides of the ball.
Not for sure what this has to do with that statement but I’ll just say...okie doke

As a major donor, I’ve decided to pony up the funds for buyout and to bring in a grand slam HC. Tired of witnessing all the agony. You’re welcome and go Vols.

Just kidding, I ain’t s***

What's mindblowing is that you obviously think football in the SEC is comparable to playing football in whatever conference these guys play in. Also mindblowing that you now think couch coaching is more respectable than the real thing, you are right, it's mindblowing around here.
Thank you for your reply. You are right. I’m not a professional coach. But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see a competent QB at any level go through a progression and complete a pass. Before you start your tough guy act remember I am a Vol alumni and fan. It’s fine if you don’t agree with my comment. Read it and move on. But I’m right. It is mind blowing that UT doesn’t have a competent QB that could complete at any level conference you want to mention. Have a good night.

Coach Pruitt gets it. He led this team to a win over Indiana in the bowl game. He also led this team to wins over Missouri and South Carolina this season. Pruitt isn't going anywhere. He just got a two year contract extension.

Tennessee fans should be pissed that we were even in a bowl game against Indiana. Missouri and South Carolina should have both been blowout wins. This program has gone to hell. The only way to get it back is another coaching change (Hugh Freeze) and a dual threat QB to speed up another rebuild.

Reactions: Vfl2407
I think Pruitt is a great defensive mind. The concern is whether he truly understands how to manage a team and coaching staff. So far the offensive coaching has been abysmal. It’s pruitts job to manage that. If he can’t fix it quick, and I mean by next season, he will likely be gone. It’s not like the defense is blowing anyone away either.

Reactions: Vfl2407
Looks like Pruitt’s dug his own grave, but he will probably stick around 2 more years before he lies down

What high profile coach said no? When Dooley was hired, it was terrible timing and we had to scramble to get a coach. The last two times we just went bargain shopping. Does the fact that Greg Schiano was our #1 guy not tell you anything? The people making the decisions haven't been committed to getting an elite coach. Look at how much we have been paying too. Schools like Bama are paying their coaches way more. If you pay mediocre salaries the quality of your coaching will be mediocre.

My memory is bad but it seems we went strong after Okl. State coach, Purdue coach, NC State coach all turned us down good offers which were the most notable coaches at the time. Peterson was not moving. Who did we miss? This university is not going to pay 7 or 8 million to a head coach. I am all for a big slash, who?

We have been in this position before and the big splash hires did not seem interested in working for the Vols. Has something changed? I was all for the big splash hire the last 3 times but it never materialized (Feeling if you want to beat Bama you need to start taking their recruits). It seems that the administration does not want to make a big splash and the big splash coaches don't want to work here. I don't see a solution.

unfortunately that’s the future of Tennessee football

Just saying he was “always going to get 5 years” may be assuming Pruitt trended in a positive direction for those 5 years. He’s taken a massive step back this year vs last.
Ok I understand your comment now. My friends statement was basically saying barring a moral turpitude violation no big donor will commit to “buying Jeremy out” and with all the things that have happened and a very likely stale (that’s probably being benign) economy coming for several years now no difference making donor will venture out on that limb for a football coach. So I’m guessing Jeremy will be here through 2022. That was his opinion of course and he’s definitely one of those donors.

VN Store

Back