Tennessee can't afford to fire CJP

rltw1974

Church Hill, TN
All this talk of firing CJP is wishful thinking at best. The reality is the university cannot afford to fire him.

Tennessee awarded Pruitt a two-year contract extension in September, and he’s set to earn a retention bonus and a raise in 2021. He’s under contract through Jan. 31, 2026. If Tennessee were to fire Pruitt after this season, he would be owed a buyout of nearly $13 million, with no obligation to mitigate the damages.

Keep in mind the university is still paying severance to Butch Jones, who was fired in 2017, through the end of February 2021.

What really stands out is CJP has the university by the balls with the "no obligation to mitigate damages" clause. If he were fired he could essentially go to a rival most likely Bama and get a lowball salary and the university would be paying him to coach against us.

Cant make this crap up...….SMH!!!!

Last edited:
You are right. With salaries being cut due to Covid, the university is in no position to absorb another buyout. They are stuck with Pruitt and we may as well get used to losing. I get tired of him using the excuse that, because of the virus, they didn't have the practice time to get the team ready. He had the same amount of time everyone else did.

What really stands out is CJP has the university by the balls with the "no obligation to mitigate damages" clause. If he were fires he could essentially go to a rival most likely Bama and get a lowball salary and the university woul dbe paying him to coach against us.
Somebody should definitely be fired over this gem.............

You’re asking the wrong question. Can the university afford to keep him? That will cost them way more than $13 million next year.

It’s 13 million + the rest of the buyouts for the old staff + new head coach + new staff.

And since no one here wants to go bargain shopping, that’s a lot of money

I don’t think the University can afford not to at this point. There have to be “for cause” addendums to his contract. I think Tee, RB coach, and Neidermeyer (sp) could be retained. There’s a coach who’s a hell of a coach, recruiter and team builder that would take our job.

Will Fulmer, BOT and university make a move and get involved in big time college football again is the real question. We we do what we need to do or let it drag on and lose two recruiting classes by firing Pruitt next year? Will Tennessee do what programs that achieve do or will we continue to run like ETSU?

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Were stuck with him pending some huge donations from some Boosters that could make it happen. I doubt they will we will suffer through this season and next and again when it seems there is no other alternative we'll again look to make a change. I have no confidence in the University to ever make the compensation necessary to get a truly effective football coach.

Reactions: kbear01
Why go to the trouble to fire him. If history teaches us anything, UT would just hire another unproven coach that no one else is trying to hire.

The last four hires: 1. Kiffin: fired after 4 games as HC w/Raiders, called a liar and a loser by Al Davis; 2. Dooley: Really don't have to say much here but La Tech fans were shocked and ecstatic that anyone would take him off their hands; 3. Butch; Cincinnati fans were tired of all of the sayings, slogans, and stale offense and glad to see him go: 4. Pruitt: Miss State interviewed him for their job and they hired the fat guy from Penn St instead (fired him after 2 yrs).

UT administration and the Board of Trustees do not take football seriously and until that changes, Tennessee will continue to be mediocre at best. So, they might as well save the money and keep Pruitt.

It’s 13 million + the rest of the buyouts for the old staff + new head coach + new staff.

And since no one here wants to go bargain shopping, that’s a lot of money

True, but it's prorated against future employment, and can be stretched out over multiple years. The outcome of the Razorbacks Foundation/Bret Bielema lawsuits will hopefully help put a stop to coaches remaining intentionally 'under-employed' when it comes to buyouts.

That being said, he's still not getting fired as long as Fulmer is AD. He is Fulmer's hire, and Fulmer is way too prideful to admit that he made a serious mistake in hiring Pruitt.

Last edited:
True, but it's prorated against future employment, and can be stretched out over multiple years. The outcome of the Razorbacks Foundation/Bret Bielema lawsuits will hopefully help put a stop to coaches remaining intentionally 'under-employed' when it comes to buyouts.

That being said, he's still not getting fired as long as Fulmer is AD. He is Fulmer's hire, and Fulmer is way to prideful to admit that he made a serious mistake in hiring Pruitt.

I don't know the validity of the claim but I've seen it posted here that there isn't a mitigation clause in the contract. Meaning Pruitt gets his full buyout regardless of what his next position pays him.

I don't know the validity of the claim but I've seen it posted here that there isn't a mitigation clause in the contract. Meaning Pruitt gets his full buyout regardless of what his next position pays him.

Pruitt, if I'm not mistaken, is guaranteed 60% of the remaining contract balance, regardless of employment, but the rest of the coaching staff is not.

All this talk of firing CJP is wishful thinking at best. The reality is the university cannot afford to fire him.

Tennessee awarded Pruitt a two-year contract extension in September, and he’s set to earn a retention bonus and a raise in 2021. He’s under contract through Jan. 31, 2026. If Tennessee were to fire Pruitt after this season, he would be owed a buyout of nearly $13 million, with no obligation to mitigate the damages.

Keep in mind the university is still paying severance to Butch Jones, who was fired in 2017, through the end of February 2021.

What really stands out is CJP has the university by the balls with the "no obligation to mitigate damages" clause. If he were fired he could essentially go to a rival most likely Bama and get a lowball salary and the university would be paying him to coach against us.

Are we the only university in America that forks out millions, guaranteed regardless of piss poor performance, to first time head coaches?

Hogwash. The money is there to make the move. What we don't seem to have enough of are people with the balls to make a hire like this. Too easy to aim low in this program. Exactly why we are looking up at the rest of the SEC and going eyeball to eyeball with the likes of Vandy for the cellar these days.

We have been in this position before and the big splash hires did not seem interested in working for the Vols. Has something changed? I was all for the big splash hire the last 3 times but it never materialized (Feeling if you want to beat Bama you need to start taking their recruits). It seems that the administration does not want to make a big splash and the big splash coaches don't want to work here. I don't see a solution.

VN Store

Back