Tennessee can't afford to fire CJP

Hogwash. The money is there to make the move. What we don't seem to have enough of are people with the balls to make a hire like this. Too easy to aim low in this program. Exactly why we are looking up at the rest of the SEC and going eyeball to eyeball with the likes of Vandy for the cellar these days.
I don't think folks understand what most universities are currently going through financially. If we had plenty of $$$ then Jones would have been paid off years ago and facility upgrades would never have been put on hold.

I don't think folks understand what most universities are currently going through financially. If we had plenty of $$$ then Jones would have been paid off years ago and facility upgrades would never have been put on hold.
That's not how that works, the money is put into a separate account and paid out in monthly installments. It is never paid in a lump sum.

I said before the season started I don't see any school making this type of decision in 2020. It's a throw away season. Pruitt will be here next year barring loosing every remaining game, they could but probably want. Let's just hope his field general gets married and moves to Europe.

75%, right?
pruittcontract.png

http://tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Jeremy-Pruitt-football.pdf

Pretty sure the extension and raise didn't change the terms of the buyout other than the number of years owed.

Reactions: onthehill71
Last edited:
This isn't true, Saban fell into their lap last second at a time when they had an open Bear Bryant Jr checkbook.

Saban was the guy Mal Moore wanted from jump; but He didn't think Saban would leave Miami. Moore persisted. I live in Mobile and followed it Daily in print & Talk Radio. Also; I would imagine UT has an Open checkbook too. What UT doesn't have is someone Bold enough to take the plunge.

Reactions: escapegoat2
Saban was the guy Mal Moore wanted from jump; but He didn't think Saban would leave Miami. Moore persisted. I live in Mobile and followed it Daily in print & Talk Radio. Also; I would imagine UT has an Open checkbook too. What UT doesn't have is someone Bold enough to take the plunge.

If Saban was first choice, why did bama offer RichRod first? Story I read was Saban called his agent after the Tennessee-Alabama game in 2006 and told Sexton if Bama opened up, hed be interested. Moore thought it was a hoax until Sexton persisted to Moore Saban was serious.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Indeed. After Rich Rod turned them down they went into Hail Mary mode and completed the darn thing to everyone’s detriment. You have to have the will to do what it takes to win. Bama did, will UT? Probably not, unfortunately.

I don't think Blonde Donde gives two flips about the athletic department until those deficits become hard expenses to the Knoxville operation, until then, she is too busy trying to run the fraternities and sororities off campus, but once she has to start moving millions to Fulmer's ledger to pay debt service, coaches salaries, light bills, athlete tuition, then she might pay attention, turn all of the athletic department over to Randy Boyd to clean up and straighten out, while she gets Ken and Barbie transferred out to Alabama, Georgia, or Ole Miss

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Either way you go, you bleed. Buyouts, empty seats, interest, etc. I would rather bleed the money up front than bleed fans and relevance.

If we are allowed to pack stadiums next year, you can bet the VOLS won't with this crap fest.

True, but it's prorated against future employment, and can be stretched out over multiple years. The outcome of the Razorbacks Foundation/Bret Bielema lawsuits will hopefully help put a stop to coaches remaining intentionally 'under-employed' when it comes to buyouts.

That being said, he's still not getting fired as long as Fulmer is AD. He is Fulmer's hire, and Fulmer is way too prideful to admit that he made a serious mistake in hiring Pruitt.
It won’t be Phil’s call.

Different pools of money, though. If donors don't pony up for a buyout, it won't happen. UT Athletics can hemorrhage money till the cows come home, and it won't change that.
Going to be hard to ask donors for buyout money and in the same breath money to keep the doors open.
UTAD is reportedly looking at a 1.5 to 2 million shortfall in the budget for 2020.

Agreed. That moronic extension has basically cost the university an extra ~$5 million on Pruitt's eventual buyout.

Gross incompetence on Fulmer's part, and will most likely be a significant factor in his own termination.
So Phil's signature is the only one on the extension agreement from UT? I didn't realize the AD had that much authority.

VN Store

Back