Team News (current roster)

If you had seen the scrimmage then you might have a different opinion on Uros. Scored 26 in the post against his own teammates who should know the best ways to defend him. No data on Michigan State, but he looked very solid against the Zags going 6-6. If he continues these types of performances in these next few games then everyone is going to have to recognize his progress and admit he’s a solid SEC 5. He may revert back to being less dependable but no one can deny that the impressive sample size is growing.

I think his offensive game is very solid 5’ and in, high %, and I think there’s a role for him…the issue is on the defensive end against what most teams have at the 5, and that’s someone quicker than he is and someone that can drag him away from the basket into space, which is where he struggles. Michigan made a living off putting him in a 1/5 screen and just ate us alive with it. It’s why I said I can see a 20 minute role some nights, but then there’s others where I think he hardly get 5 minutes, just is what it is and not a knock on him.

I think his offensive game is very solid 5’ and in, high %, and I think there’s a role for him…the issue is on the defensive end against what most teams have at the 5, and that’s someone quicker than he is and someone that can drag him away from the basket into space, which is where he struggles. Michigan made a living off putting him in a 1/5 screen and just ate us alive with it. It’s why I said I can see a 20 minute role some nights, but then there’s others where I think he hardly get 5 minutes, just is what it is and not a knock on him.
You may be right, but Uros was every bit as fast as Michigan’s center and KC was every bit as good as Michigan’s 1 so what was the reason we didn’t eat Michigan alive with a 1/5 screen? Not trying to be a smart arse - just trying to understand how any college 5 with good height and bulk would be able to be effective in your scenario?

Yeah, my only two knocks on Uros are his propensity to be a finesse player on offense when power moves (read dunks instead of layups) would be more appropriate, and then his obvious lack of lateral quickness and explosiveness as a leaper. The lack of athletic traits aren't his fault and he has improved on everything he can improve on minus the tendency to play a little soft offensively. If he had Awaka-level aggression in the paint, offensively, everyone in this fanbase would love him.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
You may be right, but Uros was every bit as fast as Michigan’s center and KC was every bit as good as Michigan’s 1 so what was the reason we didn’t eat Michigan alive with a 1/5 screen? Not trying to be a smart arse - just trying to understand how any college 5 with good height and bulk would be able to be effective in your scenario?
Partly because Uros is no threat outside of 5', unlike Dickinson. You have to respect him from outside and guard him there. Plav, not so much.

Yeah, my only two knocks on Uros are his propensity to be a finesse player on offense when power moves (read dunks instead of layups) would be more appropriate, and then his obvious lack of lateral quickness and explosiveness as a leaper. The lack of athletic traits aren't his fault and he has improved on everything he can improve on minus the tendency to play a little soft offensively. If he had Awaka-level aggression in the paint, offensively, everyone in this fanbase would love him.
His offense I’ve seen so far this year says he has become less “soft” offensively. His 3 blocks on the Zags were encouraging. Still needs to rebound better as that number doesn’t jive with his size which may be due to your points on his quickness and leaping ability although anyone in college who’s 7’-1 265 pounds ought to be a huge space eater and get rebounds without jumping much

Reactions: cncchris33
Partly because Uros is no threat outside of 5', unlike Dickinson. You have to respect him from outside and guard him there. Plav, not so much.
Since Aidoo is green lighted to take 3’s, does this mean him and ZZZ should likely become a lethal 1/5 screen combo? That would be nice!

Reactions: cardvolfan
Because Uros doesn’t stretch the floor offensively, and Dickerson is quicker laterally than Uros. When Uros tries to set it the opponents 5 is gonna sag and help, not worrying the least bit about Uros spitting up from top of the key.

Since Aidoo is green lighted to take 3’s, does this mean him and ZZZ should likely become a lethal 1/5 screen combo? That would be nice!
I'll need to see a bit more of a sample size, but yes, ideally that would be great. Even more so if JA can eventually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim from the perimeter.

Reactions: walkenvol
I'll need to see a bit more of a sample size, but yes, ideally that would be great. Even more so if JA can eventually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim from the perimeter.
Can’t think of a 7’ ranged college 5 that’s a dribble drive guy. I’m sure someone can come up with someone but they’re a bit of a unicorn. JMO

Can’t think of a 7’ ranged college 5 that’s a dribble drive guy. I’m sure someone can come up with someone but they’re a bit of a unicorn. JMO
No, I agree, they aren't common. And I don't mean someone that can blow by his man off the dribble. I mean if Aidoo is spotted up at the top of the key, receives the pass with a shot opportunity and his man has to respect his shot, that JA can pump fake as his man attempts to close put on him, take two dribbles down the lane and score at the rim.

I don’t think that Uros is necessarily a player right now that we can use to create a mismatch. I think that he is a great roster addition to prevent opponents from taking advantage of a mismatch. From just one game of highlights, it looks like Uros and Aidoo might be splitting minutes with Aidoo getting more of them when the opponent doesn’t have somebody to matchup.

I hope Uros has a good year and takes advantage of the free COVID year in 2023-2024.

He graduated, but Orlando Robinson from Fresno State was pretty versatile and could put the ball on the floor. Colin Castleton from Florida can put it on the floor too. Obviously they’re not at the level of a say, Kevin Durant, but I think those two guys skill set is what Chris is talking about.

If you had seen the scrimmage then you might have a different opinion on Uros. Scored 26 in the post against his own teammates who should know the best ways to defend him. No data on Michigan State, but he looked very solid against the Zags going 6-6. If he continues these types of performances in these next few games then everyone is going to have to recognize his progress and admit he’s a solid SEC 5. He may revert back to being less dependable but no one can deny that the impressive sample size is growing.
I think I agree with walkenvol. I saw the scrimmage and was shocked how well Plavsic played. He moved much better than I had ever seen and his defensive footwork was decent against the Zags. No one could cover him on the block at the scrimmage and he had quite a good pairing with Key where Uros sat at the high post and dished some nice passes to Key who went to the rim. Now he may not earn 20 minutes per game but high teens seem certain with maybe reduced minutes against smaller clubs due to defensive matchups. We have the luxury of playing a big lineup or smaller lineup. Our depth is better than I can remember. Key is going to be a player. Phillips may be the difference as the year progresses and he gets comfortable. His ceiling is extremely high. We are going to need that player who can take a shot with clock winding down and he looks the part.

Yeah, he really struggled at times staying in front of bigs with a little quickness. Seemed to do better later in the season with his technique.

Has the scrimmage and the 2 exhibition games changed your thoughts on this any? Looks like Uros is going to get 20+ minutes a game and Aidoo around 15 to me which means we’re not playing nearly the amount of small ball we were expecting?
Uros & Aidoo combined for 20 total minutes last night, right at 10 a piece…we played “small” about 75% of the time last night.

Uros & Aidoo combined for 20 total minutes last night, right at 10 a piece…we played “small” about 75% of the time last night.
Between Following the game thread and watching a total of 4 minutes of the game due to my streaming struggles, it appeared TTU played zone? Uros appears to need a little space on the block to be affective on O and Aidoo appears to be a face up shooter or dunker off hard cuts. Both guy’s strengths are less effective against a packed in zone unless Aidoo is hitting 3’s?

Will be interesting how this all shakes out as the season progresses. If Awaka knows his defensive assignments then his rebounding is likely to get him more pt?

ZZ
Santi
Key
JJJ
ORN

Bench: Phillips, Plav, Aidoo, Mashack

or

ZZ
Santi
JJJ
ORN
Plav (Although, I feel wayyyyyyy more comfortable with Aidoo in)

Bench: Phillips, Key, Plav/Aidoo, Mashack

Either way, it's a nice lineup.

Hell idk whats going to happen, because I made this post and totally forgot Phillips was on the team.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Between Following the game thread and watching a total of 4 minutes of the game due to my streaming struggles, it appeared TTU played zone? Uros appears to need a little space on the block to be affective on O and Aidoo appears to be a face up shooter or dunker off hard cuts. Both guy’s strengths are less effective against a packed in zone unless Aidoo is hitting 3’s?

Will be interesting how this all shakes out as the season progresses. If Awaka knows his defensive assignments then his rebounding is likely to get him more pt?
I would say TTU played quite a bit more man than zone…again, the strengths of this team is in their guards, small ball is the best way to take advantage of our strengths, not trotting out double big men lineups. And Mashack looked better offensively than I expected which only further increases the need to play small ball.

Last edited:
Most dynamic lineup would easily be ZZ, SV, Phillips, JJJ, ON. Subbing in Key, Mashack, and Aidoo. Uros getting very limited minutes against certain opponents only.

Really hope we pull Chinyelu along with Estrella. Some difference makers in the paint are needed. Not a knock on anyone, I love our team, it's just lacking.

I had similar streaming issues, especially in the 2nd half. I blamed my home internet, but maybe it was on ESPN's end.

VN Store

Back