Team News (current roster)

While I could see CRB doing that for a game or two, woof - that would be a rough lineup to have to watch for the first few minutes of a game.
I agree, and don’t think it will be that, just saying that option isn’t all that far fetched. We know Barnes loves Nkahmoua & Plav, played them together last year, and has made mention about how he wants a post game this year.

Reactions: berryvol
Phillips looks like a five-star. BJ had the best summer of anyone on the team from what I've been told. Jefferson and Awaka probably not factors this year, both bring some stuff to the table but need some time in the program to develop.

-Rob Lewis

This would feel like best case scenario if true, but it’s hard to ever take much away from off-season practice reports. Edwards having “the best summer of anyone” could mean a heck of a lot of different things. Best summer compared to what? Expectations?

I agree, and don’t think it will be that, just saying that option isn’t all that far fetched. We know Barnes loves Nkahmoua & Plav, played them together last year, and has made mention about how he wants a post game this year.
Yuppp, too many times at the beginning of last year we got stuck in these lineups that did not stretch the floor. Hopefully we get our end of game/fast paced lineup more run together early on this season.

That would all make more sense than pushing Santi back to the 1. It's like neutering your best offensive weapon to have him primarily be a facilitator. He needs to be off the ball. I think Rick knows that as well.
To me, it doesn’t matter who’s playing pg once we get into our half court offense. Our pg doesn’t dominate the ball than drive/dish anyway. As long as SV or Key can safely get the ball up the court to start the offense then it’s a non issue IMO.

Reactions: LeannaVol
This would feel like best case scenario if true, but it’s hard to ever take much away from off-season practice reports. Edwards having “the best summer of anyone” could mean a heck of a lot of different things. Best summer compared to what? Expectations?

I took that to mean he improved more over the course of the summer than anyone. Hopefully, that improvement was in the area of point guard skills, both offensively and defensively.

I will assume for now that ZZ will start but CRB's quote is definitely curious. If ZZ doesn't start, I agree it will not be SV at the point. That leaves Key as the likely option but could it be that we see JJJ as a point forward in a starting lineup of SV, Key, JJJ, ON, and Plavsic? CRB seemed to really like Plavsic as a starter in games last year and we know to BTO's point that he emphasizes the post game.

I do think all these latest reports DO lead to the best case scenario. My biggest concern was depth at the point. If this becomes a non-issue, then the ceiling for this team is likely very high.

Obviously Barnes is a taskmaster with guards, but I think Edwards is going to play. Apparently he’s been hard to keep out of the good on good sets, and is particularly strong on defense. I can’t overstate that everyone I’ve talked to about Phillips gets twitchy describing how good he is. I’ve felt really cautious about how this team will gel early, but I’ve definitely been trending toward optimism.

Anyone see Andy Katz’s updated top 36 power rankings article released this week?

He lists his current rankings vs rankings a few month ago immediately following the NBA draft. I never take his opinion as gospel, but I’m still miffed about where he has us on the list.

North Carolina is No. 1 in Andy Katz's Power 36 college basketball rankings

27. Tennessee (18): The Vols will have a new point guard but enough experience to mount a strong SEC season.

The change in his new Vols ranking (9 spots lower and out of top 25) is the biggest drop/change of any team I saw at first glance. Why such a big change? Does not compute.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
Idk if he’s got a reason for disliking Tennessee or what, but he’s routinely very low on Tennessee and one of the last to usually come around on the Vols.

Definitely do not see Santi running point to start games. Has to be Key or ZZ. As someone alluded to above, I also have a hard time seeing JP beginning the season in the starting lineup, which leaves no other option than ZZ starting at the 1.
I think it's going to be Key, Vescovi, JJJ, Phillips and Plavi.

Anyone see Andy Katz’s updated top 36 power rankings article released this week?

He lists his current rankings vs rankings a few month ago immediately following the NBA draft. I never take his opinion as gospel, but I’m still miffed about where he has us on the list.

North Carolina is No. 1 in Andy Katz's Power 36 college basketball rankings

27. Tennessee (18): The Vols will have a new point guard but enough experience to mount a strong SEC season.

The change in his new Vols ranking (9 spots lower and out of top 25) is the biggest drop/change of any team I saw at first glance. Why such a big change? Does not compute.
It's akin to having a talented football team without a QB. The obviously don't think much of or respect ZZ. I think we'll have some growing pains early on, but if the game slows down for Edwards and we can play both Key and Vescovi off the ball...assuming the issues with Key's stroke are resolved...I think we'll be a load come tournament time. We've got so many pieces that the most intriguing aspect to the season will be watching Barnes try to put them all together into a well running team.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I don’t think Plav starts over Nkahmoua, I’m gonna say if Zeigler indeed does not start, it’ll either be:

Key, Santi, JJJ, Phillips & Nkahmoua

Or

Key, Santi, JJJ, Nkahmoua & Plav

I'm going to wager a guess it's the former, at least as we get settled into the season.

If ZZ doesn’t start I believe it will be Key, Santi, JJJ, Nkahmoua, and Plav. Feel like Barnes will start Plav because it would be hard for both Plav and Aidoo to come off the bench. Major spacing issues if they were to share minutes.

It's akin to having a talented football team without a QB. The obviously don't think much of or respect ZZ. I think we'll have some growing pains early on, but if the game slows down for Edwards and we can play both Key and Vescovi off the ball...assuming the issues with Key's stroke are resolved...I think we'll be a load come tournament time. We've got so many pieces that the most intriguing aspect to the season will be watching Barnes try to put them all together into a well running team.
In our half court offense the pg doesn’t trigger every play. It’s a motion offense and many times all 5 guys will touch the ball while working for an open shot. Not really like a football qb IMO.

VN Store

Back