Team News (current roster)

Back up PG is totally up in the air. Not sure we have a single guy on roster that can “truly” fill that hole. But if we can spell Z 12-15 minutes a game by committee we should be fine. Call me crazy but I believe Z can handle the PG spot 28-25 a game. We still have Santi, JJJ and others that can initiate the offense. He doesn’t HAVE to be the guy to start it all. JMO.

Back up PG is totally up in the air. Not sure we have a single guy on roster that can “truly” fill that hole. But if we can spell Z 12-15 minutes a game by committee we should be fine. Call me crazy but I believe Z can handle the PG spot 28-25 a game. We still have Santi, JJJ and others that can initiate the offense. He doesn’t HAVE to be the guy to start it all. JMO.
Still a long way to go before season begins. Remember Santi and Z came in as the season began. Wouldn’t surprise me if Barnes has identified a few potential reclassification candidates or foreign prospects.

From Basilio's blog this morning on newcomers

Julian Phillips:

I'm hearing he's off to a wonderful start ... Better than expected ... He has been a no nonsense, no frills, no ego guy from day one. I've been told by a couple of folks that this is what stands out above all else. In terms of skill, I hear it's obviously there but he's humble and wants to get better. I do hear he needs to put on some muscle and become more physical ... This will come. . I'm told he's a humble, quick learner. That's a good combination. Should be a great fit with Rick Barnes this season.

BJ Edwards:

The #1 takeaway I'm gathering early is that he's shown up in EXCELLENT condition. They weren't expecting a lot out of him in year one from a playing standpoint and he's been better than they thought he would be at this point. He's really helped himself and impressed Rick Barnes and the staff by showing up in excellent condition. He's yet another signee with a good attitude to go with his great conditioning. Again they're still not sure if he's good enough yet to handle backup PG duties just yet but has a chance to play a little bit and contribute as a true freshman.

Tyreke Key:
has been the biggest surprise of the newcomers thus far. He's going to play a lot. He's shooting the ball prior to the way he was before shoulder injuries shelved him for last season. He was a 40 percent 3 point shooter at one point and has the ability to play with his back to the basket if need be. His game is described as 'an old man game.' A fifth year player, Key has shown up ready to roll. Rick Barnes loves him. The early return and takeaway is that Key could be a steal and is going to vie for major minutes at a multitude of positions from 2 through 4 with even a shot to play 1 if his lateral quickness cooperates. He's thought once again to be a guy that's a steal after averaging 19 per game in league play.

DJ Jefferson:

Has a ways to go on the maturity front ... I hear he's adjusting to the rigors of hard coaching and Rick Barnes is obliging in this area. I hear that Jefferson has the ability to develop into a large, rangey wing ... He's a classic SEC athlete with a really high ceiling, Hope it works out for him.

Tobe Awaka:

Still playing Summer Basketball where he's been pretty good. He's supposed to arrive in Knoxville after the Peach Jam though this hasn't been announced as of yet.

The BJ news is wonderful to hear. He already looks like a college player in terms of size. If he can grasp everything and be a good back up in year one this team is in a great spot.

Reactions: b_gann
Haven’t seen Phillips on any of the Mocks for next years draft. So if we can get two years out of him I would love that.

Paul Biancardi of ESPN was on WNML either Wednesday or Tuesday and says he believes Julian Phillips will be a lottery pick "after one or two years" at Tennessee, just depends on "when he wants to go all in being an every day player" or something along those lines. Said he's good at shooting threes but is elite when he takes the ball from the 3 line and drives to the basket, can get to the basket in a hurry

From Basilio's blog this morning on newcomers

Julian Phillips:

I'm hearing he's off to a wonderful start ... Better than expected ... He has been a no nonsense, no frills, no ego guy from day one. I've been told by a couple of folks that this is what stands out above all else. In terms of skill, I hear it's obviously there but he's humble and wants to get better. I do hear he needs to put on some muscle and become more physical ... This will come. . I'm told he's a humble, quick learner. That's a good combination. Should be a great fit with Rick Barnes this season.

BJ Edwards:

The #1 takeaway I'm gathering early is that he's shown up in EXCELLENT condition. They weren't expecting a lot out of him in year one from a playing standpoint and he's been better than they thought he would be at this point. He's really helped himself and impressed Rick Barnes and the staff by showing up in excellent condition. He's yet another signee with a good attitude to go with his great conditioning. Again they're still not sure if he's good enough yet to handle backup PG duties just yet but has a chance to play a little bit and contribute as a true freshman.

Tyreke Key:
has been the biggest surprise of the newcomers thus far. He's going to play a lot. He's shooting the ball prior to the way he was before shoulder injuries shelved him for last season. He was a 40 percent 3 point shooter at one point and has the ability to play with his back to the basket if need be. His game is described as 'an old man game.' A fifth year player, Key has shown up ready to roll. Rick Barnes loves him. The early return and takeaway is that Key could be a steal and is going to vie for major minutes at a multitude of positions from 2 through 4 with even a shot to play 1 if his lateral quickness cooperates. He's thought once again to be a guy that's a steal after averaging 19 per game in league play.

DJ Jefferson:

Has a ways to go on the maturity front ... I hear he's adjusting to the rigors of hard coaching and Rick Barnes is obliging in this area. I hear that Jefferson has the ability to develop into a large, rangey wing ... He's a classic SEC athlete with a really high ceiling, Hope it works out for him.

Tobe Awaka:

Still playing Summer Basketball where he's been pretty good. He's supposed to arrive in Knoxville after the Peach Jam though this hasn't been announced as of yet.

So Tyreke might be able to play 1-4? Sounds a little like Gary Carter.

Paul Biancardi of ESPN was on WNML either Wednesday or Tuesday and says he believes Julian Phillips will be a lottery pick "after one or two years" at Tennessee, just depends on "when he wants to go all in being an every day player" or something along those lines. Said he's good at shooting threes but is elite when he takes the ball from the 3 line and drives to the basket, can get to the basket in a hurry

Good to hear. Think it would be nice to have another kid go first round next. That would be three straight years but if he sticks around for an additional year it would be great. Especially with all the roster is losing.

Good to hear. Think it would be nice to have another kid go first round next. That would be three straight years but if he sticks around for an additional year it would be great. Especially with all the roster is losing.

Yeah. I’m mixed. If he sticks around a 2nd year, it means he probably has a “disappointing” season. I put that word in quotes because it’s all relative. But, I’d much prefer him reach his potential this year with our very experienced and senior core of players. It’s our best chance to make an F4 run before we hit a bit of a rest in 2023-2024. Keeping him a 2nd year would be nice, but not sure the roster will be better positioned to make an F4 run than the roster is this year.

Yeah. I’m mixed. If he sticks around a 2nd year, it means he probably has a “disappointing” season. I put that word in quotes because it’s all relative. But, I’d much prefer him reach his potential this year with our very experienced and senior core of players. It’s our best chance to make an F4 run before we hit a bit of a rest in 2023-2024. Keeping him a 2nd year would be nice, but not sure the roster will be better positioned to make an F4 run than the roster is this year.
No doubt about it. It’s obvious his potential is out of this world. Wouldn’t be mad if he lives up to the hype and helps this team make a serious run.

Good stuff. I'm really excited for this team. The player I have the most hopes for is DJ Jefferson. If he can adjust to hard coaching, jt will pay of for him. I'm not sure if we have seen a wing as athletic as him in recent memory, but I think he can be really special. He does so much on the court and is so dynamical

I’m more interested in Mashack’s development myself. He showed some strong athleticism last season and a defense that earned him so pt. He came in with a reputation of being a super hard worker. I hope that the staff has been able to help him improve his shot and he builds on last year’s experience to become a 12-15 minute type of player this season. Seems like Key might be his competition for those minutes, but we don’t know about Key’s defense yet?

Reactions: b_gann
Not gonna lie, that Jefferson news gives me bad mojo. Hope he can fight his way through it.
That doesn’t sound too out of the ordinary to me. Maturity hopefully comes with time and being around a lot of level headed people. If the issue is still around come November that’s a different story.

That doesn’t sound too out of the ordinary to me. Maturity hopefully comes with time and being around a lot of level headed people. If the issue is still around come November that’s a different story.
Yeah, I’m probably overreacting. Lol

I still just find it odd that any recruit who’s not into hard work would sign up to play for CRB? It’s not like he doesn’t have a long reputation for being demanding as a coach. Plenty of options out there where the coach still roles the ball out if someone doesn’t want to put in the work

Reactions: b_gann and Mccage
I still just find it odd that any recruit who’s not into hard work would sign up to play for CRB? It’s not like he doesn’t have a long reputation for being demanding as a coach. Plenty of options out there where the coach still roles the ball out if someone doesn’t want to put in the work
There’s working hard/standards to meet, and then there’s Barnes…many kids “think” they can take it, until you have to take it 5 days a weeks 2-3 hours a day.

VN Store

Back