Team News (current roster)

cncchris33

Jefferson isn't all that surprising. He seemed to lack some maturity on the floor, even in his highlights. There seemed to be some taunting, jawing, and hot dogging. Barnes will never be a fan of that stuff, but he'll overlook it if you work hard, play defense, and fall in line behind him. It may just be a case of the kid trying to establish his presence. I'd bet you had some of that with Admiral Schofield as a young player, as well, and he turned out fine. This program needs a guy with some edge and DJJ strikes me as that type.

The Dog

Because I Can
Jefferson isn't all that surprising. He seemed to lack some maturity on the floor, even in his highlights. There seemed to be some taunting, jawing, and hot dogging. Barnes will never be a fan of that stuff, but he'll overlook it if you work hard, play defense, and fall in line behind him. It may just be a case of the kid trying to establish his presence. I'd bet you had some of that with Admiral Schofield as a young player, as well, and he turned out fine. This program needs a guy with some edge and DJJ strikes me as that type.
Yeah, after one summer practice report, he's become the most likely to transfer kid. I think he is too athletic to keep off the floor and most importantly, can play defense. Hopefully, DJ buys in or learns to go all out on defense and earns some PT. I'll worry about it, when SEC play begins, until then, I have a lot of other things to worry about

bleedingTNorange

Understand, but don’t they show up and watch some practice? Maybe talk to some of the other players? Ain’t no bait and switch goin on
Absolutely, but again watching 1 practice and then getting wined and dined is much different than attending 5 of those in a row and not heading to Ruth’s Chris when you’re done to be told how great you are.

rdk4121

I’m more interested in Mashack’s development myself. He showed some strong athleticism last season and a defense that earned him so pt. He came in with a reputation of being a super hard worker. I hope that the staff has been able to help him improve his shot and he builds on last year’s experience to become a 12-15 minute type of player this season. Seems like Key might be his competition for those minutes, but we don’t know about Key’s defense yet?
I think Mashack will play more of the 3 and Key will play more of the 2. I could envision the role you mentioned for him, similar to what VJ had last year. Key will be the sixth man this year, probably taking a lot of the minutes that ZZ had last since ZZ will be starting. I think there's a good chance we will see Santi running the point this year, particularly if BJE isn't ready yet. Key will also play the 3 at times like Santi did last year in our 3 guard lineup.

vol94

Understand, but don’t they show up and watch some practice? Maybe talk to some of the other players? Ain’t no bait and switch goin on
I agree w your comment but showing up and watching practice Vs living and breathing it daily are two different things.

On a different note, I always thought coach Cal was known as a hard coach to play for, but Barnes always comes into the conversation about being “hard” on players. I wonder if they are similar?

SJAVol32

Summer workouts for the current team are in full swing. At the risk of hyping guys up too much there are a couple of players who we are consistently hearing good things about.

One of those is transfer Tyreke Key. What Key has done to impress is bring a high level of intensity to everything he does in the gym and he’s shown the ability to score at all three levels as well as get to the foul line. As someone told us this week, ‘he can just get buckets.’

B.J. Edwards has also been described to us as a pleasant surprise. That’s not to say that the staff didn’t think he would be a good player, obviously they did or they wouldn’t have taken him. He’s just been quicker to adapt to things than most seem to have expected and he’s really attacked the strength and conditioning program, making some obvious early strides from what we’ve heard.

VN Store