Team News (current roster)

Yeah, his scoring ability is not what I was hoping it would be but man if he isn’t elite at just about everything else. We’re a much better team with his leadership.

Even still he does everything else well. If he hits 35% from 3 just to keep the defense honest I’m fine with it at this point

So looking ahead to the roster next year, it's looking like we will get Jefferson, and then Hunter is still up in the air but I know the staff seems to want another point guard with the final spot regardless. So looking at the departures vs the newcomers from the SEC Championship team from last year (so not counting ORN):

Chandler 30.8 MPG 13.9 PPG -> ????? (Hopefully Hunter)
Fulkerson 21.8 MPG 7.5 PPG -> Returning ORN
BHH 12.5 MPG 3.9 PPG -> Phillips
Bailey 9.6 MPG 2.6 PPG -> Key
Powell 14.1 MPG 3.7 PPG -> Jefferson
QD 7 Games Played -> BJ Edwards
Tamba 0 Games Played -> Awaka

Honestly, you can argue that we upgraded from every departure to the team next year except Chandler which IMO is the biggest spot to fill. If we miss out on Hunter and don't land another point guard then you can argue that BJ Edwards is filling Chandler's spot. But I just thought it was interesting because I honestly believe we upgraded from every departure (except Chandler) from the previous year that won the SEC Championship.

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
Current Roster:
Guards
1. Santiago Vescovi Sr 6-3 195 (Lead the league in 3 point shooting. FG percentage .413, 3 point percentage .403 and FT percentage .793. Averaged 13.3 points per game. I don't really need to pump Santi up. We all know he's lighting up the perimeter this coming season. )
2. Tyreke Key Gr-Sr 6-3 205 (Senior year stats: FG percentage 47.2, 3 point shooting 31.6 and FT percentage 83.8. Averaged 17.2 points per game. Also, his 3 point average before his shoulder injury was 39.1 percent. So there's definitely optimism if his shoulder is 100 percent like he claims. Good rebounder as well, averaged 5.3 a game. I honestly feel that this guy is going to ball for us. JMO obviously.)
3. Zakai Zeigler So 5-9 170 (So to all of these fans asking who is Chandlers replacement? He's right here and don't get it twisted. This shouldn't even be a debate right now and here's why. In SEC play he averaged 10.1 points per game, ranked 11th among all Division I players in steal percentage, averaged 22 minutes a game, FG percentage 38.1, 3 point shooting 35.2 and FT percentage 84.3. One more thing to add to his young but already very impressive resume is that ZZ became just the fourth Vol ever selected to the SEC All-Defensive Team and the first to do it as a freshman. )
4. Josiah-Jordan James Sr 6-6 215 ( Averaged 10.3 points a game last season. FG percentage .388, 3 point shooting 32.4, FT percentage .800, 34 blocks and 46 steals. We honestly couldn't ask for a more efficient basketball player or leader for this team to come back for his senior year like this guy. Big year ahead for him.)
5. Jahmai Mashack So 6-4 197 (Me personally, I'm not giving up on this kid. Top 65 player nationally out of high school. His physicality and athleticism was special out of high school so I refuse to believe that won't translate to his collegiate career. He also played a very large part in his high school team winning a championship. Could definitely be a role player by middle of the season. His defensive skills alone will probably get him there.)
6. BJ Edwards Fr 6-3 195 (High school average from all 4 years.He played in 116 games, scored 2,240 total points and averaged 19.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 52 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3-point range (161 of 494). Was also a top 90 player nationally out of high school per 247. I don't think he will be your typical freshman. I do think he will contribute this coming season but to what level remains to be seen. With Vescovi, Key and JJJ all for sure leaving I feel Barnes will throw alot at this kid and see what sticks. Barnes will want him ready to go his Sophomore year that's for sure.)

Sorry for the long post I was bored and thought I'd write something up for everyone to read and give some of their own thoughts. I'm obviously pretty optimistic about this year's roster lol. Besides Chandler we replaced all of our empty spots with better talent. And I think guard play won't be so dependent on one guy this year. I think it will be a more efficient position overall and play well. Especially if we stay healthy. Got one with our Forwards as well will be posting shortly. Go Vawls!

Last edited:
Current Roster:
Guards
1. Santiago Vescovi Sr 6-3 195 (Lead the league in 3 point shooting. FG percentage .413, 3 point percentage .403 and FT percentage .793. Averaged 13.3 points per game. )
2. Tyreke Key Gr-Sr 6-3 205 (Senior year stats: FG percentage 47.2, 3 point shooting 31.6 and FT percentage 83.8. Averaged 17.2 points per game. Also, his 3 point average before his shoulder injury was 39.1 percent. So there's definitely optimism if his shoulder is 100 percent like he claims. Good rebounder as well, averaged 5.3 a game. I honestly feel that this guy is going to ball for us. JMO obviously.)
3. Zakai Zeigler So 5-9 170 (So to all of these fans asking who is Chandlers replacement? He's right here and don't get it twisted. No argument required.Also, before I drop these stats you need to remember he graduated high school a year early to play in college. In SEC play he averaged 10.1 points per game, ranked 11th among all Division I players in steal percentage, averaged 22 minutes a game, FG percentage 38.1, 3 point shooting 35.2 and FT percentage 84.3. One more thing to add to his already young but very impressive resume. Became just the fourth Vol ever selected to the SEC All-Defensive Team and first to do it as a freshman. )
4. Josiah-Jordan James Sr 6-6 215 ( Averaged 10.3 points a game last season. FG percentage .388, 3 point shooting 32.4, FT percentage .800, 34 blocks and 46 steals. We honestly couldn't ask for a more efficient basketball player to come back for his senior year like this guy. Big year ahead for him.)
5. Jahmai Mashack So 6-4 197 (Me personally, I'm not giving up on this kid. Top 65 player nationally out of high school. His physical attributes were special out of high school so I refuse to believe that won't translate to his collegiate career. He played a large part in his high school team winning a championship. Could definitely be a role player by middle of the season. His defensive skills alone will probably get him there.)
6. BJ Edwards Fr 6-3 195 (High school average from all 4 years.He played in 116 games, scored 2,240 total points and averaged 19.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting 52 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3-point range (161 of 494). I don't think he will be your typical freshman. I do think he will contribute this coming season but to what level remains to be seen. With Vescovi, Key and JJJ all for sure leaving I feel Barnes will throw alot at this kid and see what sticks. Barnes will want him ready to go his Sophomore year that's for sure.)
All in all I feel pretty good about our guard play. Definitely some questions marks but more potential there than anything else. For me, if Key or Mashack can take off we should be in a good spot. Landing another guard from the portal would just be a bonus and solidify everything. I'm sure I'll hear others thoughts here shortly lol. I've seen alot of concern towards our guard play as of late in several threads. Let's see how this goes haha. Go Vawls.
Please get this straight - ZZZ did not graduate high school early. He was headed to prep school until the late interest. He was too old to play sports another year in hs. This misconception has been corrected multiple times already. Vescovi is right at 1 year older than ZZZ and was a junior last season.

Current Roster
Forwards
1. Jonas Aidoo So 6-11 234 ( For me I feel like when people think of Aidoo they automatically think of his clutch game against Oscar Tshiebwe. He definitely showed some promise his freshman season. I think he'll be more efficient overall entering his sophomore year and emerge as a huge contributer for this coming season.)
2. Uros Plavsic Sr 7-0 251 ( Averaged 14.1 minutes per game. I bet most Vol fans didn't know that Plavsic lead the team in FG percentage, shooting a career high .573. I think me and majority of fans can agree that he won't light up the scoreboard offensively BUT I whole heartedly believe that he will be a bully on the defensive side of the ball. He became pretty mean towards the end of the season for Barnes. One thing we do know about Uros is that he will give his all for the Orange and White which should excite Vol fans.)
3. Olivier Nkamhoua Sr 6-8 232 ( Averaged 21.6 minutes per game, 8.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, FG percentage .497, 3 point shooting .448 and FT percentage .722. Just when we started seeing consistency and improvement as the season went along he went down with an injury that plagued his season. I think Olivier will have alot to say about that his senior year. Look for the Barnes project to continue rising his stock and bring some valuable experience to the post.)
4. Julian Phillips Fr 6-8 200 ( 3rd Highest rated player for Tennessee since 2010. Most believe Phillips has one and done potential. So I would say it's safe to assume that most of us Vol fans feel really good about this prospect. He should definitely solidify our post play for this coming season.)
5. DJ Jefferson Fr 6-5 200 ( Senior year HS stats: Averaged 16.1 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assist and 3 steals. Also, his junior year was excellent especially offensively. Averaged 22 points a game that season. Was a top 76 player nationally out of high school per 247. This is definitely a prospect that has the ability to develop and contribute in some sort of fashion for the Vols this coming season.)
6. Tobe Awaka Fr 6-8 234 ( Last but not least Mr. Awaka. Now I imagine most Vol fans don't see this kid doing much under his first year under Barnes and neither do I. Based off recent reports he will be arriving on campus this fall. So it's very likely that this could be a RS year for him but you never know. Awaka was a rebound machine and was Gatorade Player of the Year in New York his senior season. Averaged 19.2 points and 15 rebounds at ZZs former high school Cardinal Hayes. Very similar to ZZs final season stats just clearly not as many rebounds as Awaka. Is this possibly another ZZ situation? I don't think anyone expected ZZ to arrive on scene and contribute in the manner he was able to so. So why can't Awaka do the same? Only time will tell.)

Last edited:
Please get this straight - ZZZ did not graduate high school early. He was headed to prep school until the late interest. He was too old to play sports another year in hs. This misconception has been corrected multiple times already. Vescovi is right at 1 year older than ZZZ and was a junior last season.
Did not know that and appreciate you letting me know. Correction has been made. At the end of the day it still doesn't change his year 1 accomplishments. He's the real deal that's all I know and that's all I need to know haha. Go Vawls

Last edited:
Saw the pictures of BJ Edwards from over the weekend, and trying not to sound creepy, but physically he looks ready. He has the stature of a starting point guard.

Saw the pictures of BJ Edwards from over the weekend, and trying not to sound creepy, but physically he looks ready. He has the stature of a starting point guard.
The picture didn’t make me feel better at all about his ability to play PG…obviously really hard to tell but he definitely looks a bit thicker and taller than I would’ve expected, again impossible to say but 6’4” 185-190lbs wouldn’t shock me, and those aren’t typical college PG measurements.

Attachments

• FC44A0C6-9BF3-4857-9A34-54D86D0AE9DA.jpeg
    FC44A0C6-9BF3-4857-9A34-54D86D0AE9DA.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 117
The picture didn’t make me feel better at all about his ability to play PG…obviously really hard to tell but he definitely looks a bit thicker and taller than I would’ve expected, again impossible to say but 6’4” 185-190lbs wouldn’t shock me, and those aren’t typical college PG measurements.
Westbrook is 6-3 200lb. Not a bad frame comparison IMO. He (Edwards) should be able to bully some college players.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Westbrook is 6-3 200lb. Not a bad frame comparison IMO. He (Edwards) should be able to bully some college players.
Well for starters that’s why I mentioned college specifically, NBA is the elite of the elite athletically, and Westbrook is among the top of that list…I’ve seen nothing to suggest Edwards is in the same stratosphere as Westbrook athletically.

Well for starters that’s why I mentioned college specifically, NBA is the elite of the elite athletically, and Westbrook is among the top of that list…I’ve seen nothing to suggest Edwards is in the same stratosphere as Westbrook athletically.
Me neither. But to state his size is going to be a detriment to him, seems incorrect IMO. Sadly, we’ll have to wait about 3-5 months before we truly see if it will.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Me neither. But to state his size is going to be a detriment to him, seems incorrect IMO. Sadly, we’ll have to wait about 3-5 months before we truly see if it will.
The biggest question in regards to his ability to play PG has been quickness/lateral movement defensively/ability to keep ball tight and low…being “bigger” than expected is much more likely to hurt those things than help them.I absolutely hope to be wrong, but if he is a SEC level PG on a Top 10 team at 6’3”-6’4” and 185-200lbs he’s a likely 1st round pick.

The biggest question in regards to his ability to play PG has been quickness/lateral movement defensively/ability to keep ball tight and low…being “bigger” than expected is much more likely to hurt those things than help them.I absolutely hope to be wrong, but if he is a SEC level PG on a Top 10 team at 6’3”-6’4” and 185-200lbs he’s a likely 1st round pick.
Fair point. He may have to move to the two guard, but either way I think he will have a special career here.

Fair point. He may have to move to the two guard, but either way I think he will have a special career here.
I’m sure the kid has heard the questions and doubters. You know he knows about attempts to acquire transfer PG’s. I am guessing this serves as fuel to work hard to prove himself. It will be interesting to see how his season plays out.

VN Store

Back