Team News (current roster)

I've seen some 7-footers do some damage for the Vols in my time. Boerwinkle, Kosmalski, and even Brykalski were definitely factors, especially after a year or two of seasoning.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I think he will be better, stronger, and might surprise us a bit. We have to look at his layoff and realize that last year, in limited minutes, has little to do with what he can ultimately achieve.
Yes, but to do that he has to accept what he is, which was my point.

I've seen some 7-footers do some damage for the Vols in my time. Boerwinkle, Kosmalski, and even Brykalski were definitely factors, especially after a year or two of seasoning.

I sure hope that Plavsic has a more productive career than Brykalski had. If he can produce as much as 7 footers Boerwinkle, Stevie Hammer, and especially Len Kosmalski then Uros will have earned his scholarship many times over.

I sure hope that Plavsic has a more productive career than Brykalski had. If he can produce as much as 7 footers Boerwinkle, Stevie Hammer, and especially Len Kosmalski then Uros will have earned his scholarship many times over.
I'm thinking that extra 22 pounds and increased strength will come in handy. It should be interesting to follow.

Reactions: swchandler1988

"Zach, you’re not going to find anyone outside of the Tennessee program or fandom more optimistic about the Volunteers' chances this season than me. I just don’t know what they are missing personnel-wise that would have them come up short when compared to other probable national title contenders.

Tennessee has elite talent on the roster, headlined by Josiah-Jordan James, Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson. EJ Anosike brings a tremendous pedigree and production to the program as a grad transfer. John Fulkerson was the most improved player in the SEC last season. Yves Pons is a complete defender, Santiago Vescovi is a shot-maker and Corey Walker is an intriguing freshman that can play many parts.

The Volunteers also have Rick Barnes running the show. The talent is there and man, just wait for the Johnson highlights, which makes an SEC and national tile run attainable for the Vols."

-Corey Evans, Rivals

Hamer was pretty darn good with the basketball in his hands and his back to the basket. Watching him run the court was a bit painful (I think he had bad knees), but overall I really enjoyed watching the big man play while he was here.

Edit: Just did a google search on Stevie Hamer and found out that he recently finished his college degree, so congrats to him for that!

Hamer was pretty darn good with the basketball in his hands and his back to the basket. Watching him run the court was a bit painful (I think he had bad knees), but overall I really enjoyed watching the big man play while he was here.

Edit: Just did a google search on Stevie Hamer and found out that he recently finished his college degree, so congrats to him for that!
Coached against Steve the last few years before he joined up with the ADept. Great coach, better man and congrats to him for that degree!

Reactions: cardvolfan
When Rick Barnes had a zoom call with the media this week he didn’t shy away from saying this year’s team would be the most athletic one he’s had at Tennessee. That’s not surprising given the make up of the roster, when you’re adding Keon Johnson, Victor Bailey Jr. and Jaden Springer to a squad that already has Yves Pons on it. Johnson’s athleticism rivals that of Pons from what we’re hearing, meaning that Tennessee could be putting two of the best pure athletes in the SEC on the floor this season.
Barnes also sounded optimistic that the season would go off on schedule. Obviously a lot could change before the Nov. 11th opener at Wisconsin, but for now the head coach seems to think that an on time start is likely.
-Vq

Soft? What about his fore arm shots?

IMO that is his problem he uses parts of his body that are easy for a ref & pedestrian fan to detect. If he could move people with his hips and lower body with a nuance like Grant Williams the stupid fouls would decrease. Don't make it easy for the refs. Hopefully Kim English is working on that. We need 5 or 6 good minutes out of him but don't need him giving teams FT canceling out any contribution.

Basketball Recruiting - Evans Seven: Comparing college freshmen to projected NBA lottery picks

Compares Keon Johnson to Isaac okoro :
Keon Johnson is a better athlete than
Isaac Okoro, and he's a bit more skilled along the perimeter, while Okoro entered college with a polished frame and an unbelievable winning pedigree. Both possess tremendous intangibles, rely on their games to do the talking and they are respected for competing and defending. Johnson, just like Okoro, must show that he can consistently knock down shots from beyond 15 feet. With a full cupboard of talent alongside him at Tennessee, there is a chance that we will see Johnson climb up draft boards, just as Okoro did during his own freshman campaign.”

I think it's kinda odd that Corey Evans has had so much coverage on our recruits. Does he cover others as extensively as he's done for us?

ORN looks to have gotten in better shape this offseason.

I felt like he just lacked confidence last year. I also think he can/will be a rebounding machine. Go back and watch him last year. He knows how to position and where to position for the rebound.

Any basketball stuff from today’s war room?

Just paraphrasing:

Staff has been great at recruiting, especially getting a Cali kid during the pandemic. Kids have taken note about the player development in Knoxville. All 3 assistants are well rounded in recruiting and X's and O's, and all 3 have landed 5 stars in the last 3 classes.

Mashack has big potential, and they love his personality. Now, they need size and will have to fend off Georgetown for Mutumbo. They continue to recruit Smith, Houstan, and Bediako.

What's the latest on Devonte Gaines? Has he gained weight, how has he looked off season? Could he be that one player that gives us that positive 180 in his game now over last season? Not heard a lot of talk about him off season.

As someone who lives in Georgetown and sees Hoya basketball semi-frequently, I can tell you Ewing is not long for the job. The legacy angle is probably hard for Mutumbo to escape and it’s probably weighing on him heavily, but from a pure player development and winning program standpoint, he should choose Tennessee.

Ewing hasn’t done anything since taking on the job. He is now in Year 4 and this is yet another “rebuild” year after losing nearly his entire team to either graduation, transfers, or sexual assault scandals. He also hasn’t developed any players while there. If I’m Dikembe, I’d hopefully put aside his love of his alma mater and tell his son to go somewhere that he is guaranteed to have the same coach 2-3 years from now. I’m not so sure Ewing will be there much longer.

As someone who lives in Georgetown and sees Hoya basketball semi-frequently, I can tell you Ewing is not long for the job. The legacy angle is probably hard for Mutumbo to escape and it’s probably weighing on him heavily, but from a pure player development and winning program standpoint, he should choose Tennessee.

Ewing hasn’t done anything since taking on the job. He is now in Year 4 and this is yet another “rebuild” year after losing nearly his entire team to either graduation, transfers, or sexual assault scandals. He also hasn’t developed any players while there. If I’m Dikembe, I’d hopefully put aside his love of his alma mater and tell his son to go somewhere that he is guaranteed to have the same coach 2-3 years from now. I’m not so sure Ewing will be there much longer.
Do u and/or the Georgetown media think that John Thompson passing away, recently, maybe helps Georgetown ? I think the legacy thing has more meaning after Mutombo and Ewing's former coach passed away, maybe Dikembe and Ryan feel more of an obligation to go to Georgetown ?

VN Store

Back