Swain hints at opt-outs

On that subject, I saw on the Channel 3 11:00 PM in Chattanooga last night that the CDC has sent notifications to all 50 states informing them that a vaccine may be available as soon as late October. The news was that there will be several different vaccines that will be available. What say you VolNation?
Unfortunately this is not likely. The Pfizer candidate requires storage temps so low (minus 94) it could only be kept in hospitals and clinics with special equipment so that one would not be widely available like a flu shot. The Moderna candidate is reportedly stable at minus 4 degrees so a place like a CVS Pharmacy could handle that one with portable freezers, but either way there is alot of logistics required to provide and guarantee storage. This also assumes the FDA shortcuts their normal approval process. I know there are other possible candidates but there seem to be too many moving parts here for anything to be widely available prior to January 2021. It just seems to be better for the guys to just follow all the mask and proximity rules and buckle up and play. Following the rules explicitly is a tall order for 18-22 year old guys I know, but the coaches and support staff seem to be on board with all of it and our team leadership appears good. I guess the wildcard is you don't know how good our competitors are at following the rules so one sloppy team could crush the season for others.

Unfortunately this is not likely. The Pfizer candidate requires storage temps so low (minus 94) it could only be kept in hospitals and clinics with special equipment so that one would not be widely available like a flu shot. The Moderna candidate is reportedly stable at minus 4 degrees so a place like a CVS Pharmacy could handle that one with portable freezers, but either way there is alot of logistics required to provide and guarantee storage. This also assumes the FDA shortcuts their normal approval process. I know there are other possible candidates but there seem to be too many moving parts here for anything to be widely available prior to January 2021. It just seems to be better for the guys to just follow all the mask and proximity rules and buckle up and play. Following the rules explicitly is a tall order for 18-22 year old guys I know, but the coaches and support staff seem to be on board with all of it and our team leadership appears good. I guess the wildcard is you don't know how good our competitors are at following the rules so one sloppy team could crush the season for others.

This. Good post

Kids who already have high draft stock will take the film they already accumulated and go home. Kids who are "on the bubble" have to weigh their prospects against playing an insanely tough 10 game SEC schedule with a higher likelihood of serious injury versus just sitting out and playing a "normal" schedule next year. They will just take the year to train and gain muscle and not risk serious injury. Many will call this season illegitimate anyway, rightly or wrongly, that will be the narrative.
It’s legitimate film they’re not getting whilst seated on the couch. If they do it and it works out? Great. Just feel it’s low percentage considering I don’t know if they’re even “bubble” status.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I said MAY.
Nobody knows for sure If or Why.
Agents talk to any player that even might have NFL talent.
Shotgun approach, if one hits , it's a homerun.
Misses are the cost of doing business.
Bagmen bring players to college.
Agents bring players to the NFL.

It’s legitimate film they’re not getting whilst seated on the couch. If they do it and it works out? Great. Just feel it’s low percentage considering I don’t know if they’re even “bubble” status.

I think there's a small group that needs all the help they can get, but lots of players on both ends of the spectrum. If you're already very good, you wont risk your iminent NFL future. If you really aren't NFL material and you know it, you probably wont want to risk playing this year for no benefit.

Reactions: 08Vol and tnutater

What happens with viral load shedding from the vaccine? no one is thinking about this yet but once you vaccinate, those people are actually a danger to those who are not vaccinated for several days at least. They will say there is nothing to this but then "they" dont have a lot of credibility left on anything COVID related, especially where there is a rushed vaccine which we will know almost nothing about.

I wonder if the Big 10 plays how many will opt out? Talk about irony! I agree this probably has little to do with the virus.

I think there's a small group that needs all the help they can get, but lots of players on both ends of the spectrum. If you're already very good, you wont risk your iminent NFL future. If you really aren't NFL material and you know it, you probably wont want to risk playing this year for no benefit.
I don’t disagree with any of that. Just don’t think Middleton and Solomon fit any of those types you described.

Agree.
Some fans refuse to accept the fact that by the time players have become "uperclassmen" they see through the Rah-Rah ********.
Playing is a very hard, time consuming job, that pays little and risks a lot.
College football is nothing more than the NFL's minor league.
A few make it out of the minors...most do not.

Reactions: 08Vol
I don’t see BLAME. I see opinions saying it’s not the better move if they want to play at the next level. Missing this season has little effect on the Chase kid. Last highlights of him was flashing epic in a national championship game. Middleton and Solomon playing snaps against Indiana isn’t on the same level. You have two NFL bodies each with one season of starting experience...that’s it.
Yep....it's very simple.
Stay and PLAY.
They each have one year of real exposure...

Reactions: sjt18 and butchna
First of all. If somebody would tell these kids the actual numbers for people in their age group, I'd hope theyd not worry. People in their 20's without severe underlying conditions have no problems with this.

Secondly, not only do Solomon and Middleton not have strong draft stock and I doubt it will get much higher with them just working out.

They are in danger of being left in the dust of the players that will actually be playing! Those guys will be putting new film out there!

Reactions: butchna
Basilio already called this one well in advance. ;)

This will be devastating for our DL if both opt out.

A co-worker of mine, who is a huge Ohio State fan, said the Big 10 is going to have another vote tomorrow on playing in this fall.

You know, I think I'm changing my mind.

At first, I disliked the idea of the B10 and PAC and MAC and whoever the 4th conference was, all going rogue and playing in the winter/spring.

But the more I consider it, the more I like it. They can be like our minor league football fix through some of the long, looooong off-season months.

I used to cringe in mid-January, facing (once again) that deep, distant horizon before the next football season and long, empty desert of nothingness in between.

We could have the B10 and PAC and the other two to tide us over. Even let them have a minor league "championship playoff" of their own. Ohio State, Michigan (or Wisconsin or Penn State, varying by year) could face off against Oregon, Washington, or whoever else sucked least bad from the states of California and Arizona. Heck, once in a while they could let a directional Michigan team like CMU or EMU or WMU or whatever else there is, in.

I would watch it. I would just be happy to ahve some football in February, March and April.

So yeah. I'm warming to the idea. :)

First of all. If somebody would tell these kids the actual numbers for people in their age group, I'd hope theyd not worry. People in their 20's without severe underlying conditions have no problems with this.

Secondly, not only do Solomon and Middleton not have strong draft stock and I doubt it will get much higher with them just working out.

They are in danger of being left in the dust of the players that will actually be playing! Those guys will be putting new film out there!

With two entire power 5 conferences not playing the NFL scouts are going to have to change how they do things anyway. Most of these decisions will be made at pro-days and combines. The NFL is extremely analytical and they dont rely on "highlight reels". They look at numbers. You are X tall, weigh X pounds run X fast and can lift X weight. Everything else is tertiary at best. Anybody that sits out isn't risking much this year. It would be different if everyone else played and you blew your ACL and were the only one sitting out. That's not true here.

I think rushing a new vaccine into use is dangerous. These Covid vaccines are being processed by a new, never before used, process, called RNA. All previous vaccine have used weaken or killed virus protiens to grow in a medium from which the vaccines are harvested. No one knows if these new vaccines are safe or efficient. They may produce both b and T cell antibodies, but knowone knows how long these antibodies may last. Preliminary data that antibodies produced from the disease can last at least 3 months , however there have been a few ase of reinfexion in people who had the disease. Dara from the vaccine trials will be available within 2-3 months after the vaccine has been administered, but those data will not determine how long those antibodies will last. The vaccine are currently being tested in 30,000 or so volunteers. In the normal process, several hundred thousand doses are administered in the final phase 3 trials. Those numbers are needed to try to insure that rare adverse events associated with the vaccines are discovered before millions of patiens are vaccinated. In the past, full blow cases of the disease have occured (polio) and other conditions Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) with H1N1 during the mass Swine Flu program conducted in 1976. These data require more time to be discovered to assure a safe and efficient vaccine is being administered. Rushing a deliver a new vaccine using a new never before used process without a larger test pool is dangerous.

I say most Opt Outs are not virus related.

I'm still trying to understand Gibbs opt-out. He's opting out due to COVID yet he still goes to school and practices with the team.

Is there an added COVID danger of playing a football game as compared to attending classes and practicing?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I'm still trying to understand Gibbs opt-out. He's opting out due to COVID yet he still goes to school and practices with the team.

Is there an added COVID danger of playing a football game as compared to attending classes and practicing?
If you read between the lines, I'm pretty sure Gibbs wasn't going to be academically eligible. He isn't opting out due to COVID.

Jeremy Pruitt announces Tennessee receiver DeAngelo Gibbs won’t play this fall

Reactions: 08Vol
I don’t know if Aubrey Solomon has been practicing full go (?), but I recall him dealing with a shoulder and leg injury during last season. He also missed most of his prior season at Michigan due to injury. I’ve been hoping he would come back fully healed, have a big year here, and set himself for a nice payday via the 2021 NFL draft.

I think he would benefit by staying/playing if he is now fully healthy. But, he may still have non CoVid health concerns that trump everything in his mind. Good luck Aubrey! Hope to see you playing in Orange this Fall!

VN Store

Back