Start JT Shrout

Do we have a quarterback that can throw to the middle of the field? Do we have a QB who can consistently throw a 10-25 yard throw? Because JG can’t. He doesn’t. We throw outside the f’ing hashes all the time. Maybe if we could actually execute a dig route and extend drives we will have success moving the ball and then everything is a positive snowball effect. We can go tempo, opens the playbook which keeps the D off balance and we give a our defense a rest. It really is the little things like that that will make the difference in our season.

Reactions: igotworms
Do we have a quarterback that can throw to the middle of the field? Do we have a QB who can consistently throw a 10-25 yard throw? Because JG can’t. He doesn’t. We throw outside the f’ing hashes all the time. Maybe if we could actually execute a dig route and extend drives we will have success moving the ball and then everything is a positive snowball effect. We can go tempo, opens the playbook which keeps the D off balance and we give a our defense a rest. It really is the little things like that that will make the difference in our season.
There are several things that JG cannot do that typically you would expect a RS Sr with as many starts as he has to do blindfolded.

I have more or less harped on it... and been called all sorts of creative names... There is a very good chance that JG simply does not have the innate ability to process information quickly, instinctively. That's not anything like saying he lacks intelligence. All of us have different ways of processing information. He just thinks deliberately which I believe causes him to hesitate or doubt. As a QB, if you do that then you either miss opportunities or are late with throws. I think we have seen that manifested from him taking too many sacks as a RS Fr to the lapses he's had this year. Same illness. Different symptoms. In a related way, he has never anticipated throws well. He very seldom "throws a receiver open".

Maurer and the others have their own set of problems and developmental needs. But two throws to me illustrate why JG is pretty much at his ceiling... and his ceiling is too low to be the QB UT needs. One is Shrout's TD vs USCe last year. JG had earlier thrown the same route. He was late causing MC to have to wait on the ball and fight a DB to make the catch. Shrout led him enabling him to catch it on the run for the score. The other is Maurer's pass to DWA early in the MSU game. He anticipated an opening in the secondary and dropped a ball perfectly into space. JG just doesn't do that to the middle of the field.

You are right that they give him throws to the outside. That takes away some of the variables he has to account for in his read. It makes the throw safe. Again, another indication that he cannot read quickly or anticipate throws.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back