Start JT Shrout

He’d be entitled. I wouldn’t hold him accountable for that at all as a freshman.
Ying and the yang. Turnovers are killing us with the 5th year senior. I want someone who can rebound from a mistake instead of doubling up. That was supposedly why JG was the choice.

Reactions: igotworms
I think if the bama game gets out of hand, that either Maurer or HB will come in and finish it.

I still think JG starts unless Maurer is ready to go.

Ying and the yang. Turnovers are killing us with the 5th year senior. I want someone who can rebound from a mistake instead of doubling up. That was supposedly why JG was the choice.
That’s the problem. The HC is unwilling to let a freshman develop. The fan base should prove smarter

Reactions: Volsonyourface
Total foolishness to talk about starting Bailey against Bama. You want to break the young man's confidence or his leg. Give him some more practice reps and get him ready for Arkansas. Hopefully we can eek out a few wins.

No. No.No. No. No.

Maurer has the ability to take the job and run with it...JMO, but that is no longer his intentions (thanks Pruitt). If Bailey is your future, then put ALL prep work into him right now! This whole starting another QB as a sacrificial lamb to Bama mindset is the dumbest idea, and creates a culture of failure.
If Maurer shows well against Bama then what? You bench him next game?? Now think about the position that puts Bailey in if you start him...
Bailey is your future. Spend every moment preparing him. JG can always come off the bench as a hero...

We don't even use our TE position hardly and Beckwith is needed for size at RB and his versatility out wide.

It’s not a dumb idea. Remember when Peterman was sacrificed against Florida. The kid never recovered while here. Oh he did have a nice turn around with Chaney at Pitt and got drafted. I don’t want Bailey to be sacrificed in a similar fashion.

Now if Maurer comes in an lights the world on fire? How is that bad for us? I don’t think he will but at least it shows that we gave everyone a look. You can always bring JG or even HB off the bench. JG seems to prepare better as a backup then as a starter.

Now if you start JG and tell him it is for one series I don’t see how that helps us or him. I can see 2 things happen from that. JG checks out mentally knowing he has lost his job or he presses trying to win the job back.

Dee Beckwith is 6’5 does that height ring any bells? Also Chaney featured TEs here during his first stop and at other places as well. Having a legit TE threat is more valuable than having a tall RB. Look at how well FL is using Pitts. Maybe they should give that up since they need a physical RB too? Just think about how dangerous Hurd at TE and Kamara at RB with John Kelly backing him up would have been.

Last edited:
Anyone but JG should start and play this week. Shrout was given one series and as far as I could see, didn't even get to properly warm up. He made a very poor decision. In high school he made poor decisions, but either give him a real chance or get him out of the program.

If bm is healthy, and his head is on straight, give him an opportunity.

HB probably isn't ready, but baptism by fire, is fine with me. Let's see what this 5* can do. I'm not scared of bamas defense, it's their offense that is scary this year.

Put someone in the wildcat all game.

Anyone but JG!

based on what? because what we saw was him exploit a simple read until teams took it away and then he was "not very good at all".

oh, and chances of beating Bama anyways is.....? sounds like ur afraid he may do something good
Just when I thought you were coming around.... Maurer showed a quick release. He reacts quickly. He's decisive with the ball. He needs to improve his reads and reduce mistakes but he has the right instincts and good timing. He throws off platform and on the run much better than the others. He runs better than the others. He doesn't have the arm strength of Shrout but none of the four lack arm talent.

Maurer showed a lot of things you want to see from a QB. He also made some mistakes but the kind you expect a Fr to make.

I was up for Shrout but that INT was just a continuation of the mental errors that got him plucked early last year. Not only did he stare the receiver down, throw over a wide open guy underneath who could have run for the 1st Down, and throw into triple coverage... Pruitt said that he forgot to send a guy in motion. Either he forgot the play or lost it under pressure.

I'm not saying he cannot improve but that was a really bad sign for a 3rd year player. Maurer HAS shown more.

FWIW, the throws to MC and DWA were two of the best throws of the season last year. Perfectly timed and placed. Those weren't RPOs and were "very good".

they gotta be hoping. do you know who the opponent is?
Maurer was 5 of 7 including a hand off pick by Jennings vs Bama last year before getting injured. Nothing helps an OL like a mobile QB who can break the pocket and throw on the run... and UT's OL will need help again this week from their QB.

Anyone but JG should start and play this week. Shrout was given one series and as far as I could see, didn't even get to properly warm up. He made a very poor decision. In high school he made poor decisions, but either give him a real chance or get him out of the program.

HB probably isn't ready, but baptism by fire, is fine with me. Let's see what this 5* can do. I'm not scared of bamas defense, it's their offense that is scary this year.

Anyone but JG!
HB is ready.

Anyone but JG!

This^ sums it up. 👍
Holiday in the wildcat would be interesting........

Just when I thought you were coming around.... Maurer showed a quick release. He reacts quickly. He's decisive with the ball. He needs to improve his reads and reduce mistakes but he has the right instincts and good timing. He throws off platform and on the run much better than the others. He runs better than the others. He doesn't have the arm strength of Shrout but none of the four lack arm talent.

Maurer showed a lot of things you want to see from a QB. He also made some mistakes but the kind you expect a Fr to make.

I was up for Shrout but that INT was just a continuation of the mental errors that got him plucked early last year. Not only did he stare the receiver down, throw over a wide open guy underneath who could have run for the 1st Down, and throw into triple coverage... Pruitt said that he forgot to send a guy in motion. Either he forgot the play or lost it under pressure.

I'm not saying he cannot improve but that was a really bad sign for a 3rd year player. Maurer HAS shown more.

FWIW, the throws to MC and DWA were two of the best throws of the season last year. Perfectly timed and placed. Those weren't RPOs and were "very good".
his release was based off one simple read and once they took that away, he stunk. only a stan of his doesnt want to understand this or u simpy dont know football. he has no instincts. he came in overhyped and the staff found out,which is why he is where he is. u cant read a defense coming into college, only a gimmick presnap is gonna help you.

as for shrout, i think palmer ran thru the window and the db beat him for the ball. i would like to see him get a full week of reps, then play. he's THE only returning qb that hasnt happened for yet.

maurer has also had more chances.....and thrown more picks

Besides the other team scoring that Shrout throw was worse than JGs. He didn't have anywhere to go with it and instead of throwing it away, he just chunked it hoping the WR would catch it.

his release was based off one simple read and once they took that away, he stunk. only a stan of his doesnt want to understand this or u simpy dont know football. he has no instincts. he came in overhyped and the staff found out,which is why he is where he is. u cant read a defense coming into college, only a gimmick presnap is gonna help you.

as for shrout, i think palmer ran thru the window and the db beat him for the ball. i would like to see him get a full week of reps, then play. he's THE only returning qb that hasnt happened for yet.

Over hyped 3* now that is a 1st...lol. that statement right there pulaski/ktown shows you know very little....
Keeps talking and show everyone how clueless you really are

I seriously don't understand how so many people don't see all those things with Maurer. People are watching 2 different football games.

He showed all kinds of ability, thrown into the dang fire in the middle of the murderers row portion of the schedule. People are insane to think, yeah Maurer can't improve even though he's a freshman and threw for over 200 yards against Georgia in a half and looked fearless and moved the ball easily at Bammer.

Its obvious as hell he and Bailey very easily have the highest ceilings on this team. They should really be the only ones to see the field.

I seriously don't understand how so many people don't see all those things with Maurer. People are watching 2 different football games.
Because they're people who do not understand the game beyond a few "stats" and what an announcer says.

What Maurer did last year is not much more what UT needs than what JG is doing. But you can at least have hope that he can play and improve. He does some things really well. If they can clean up the mistakes and build on those things... they have a QB.

He showed all kinds of ability, thrown into the dang fire in the middle of the murderers row portion of the schedule. People are insane to think, yeah Maurer can't improve even though he's a freshman and threw for over 200 yards against Georgia in a half and looked fearless and moved the ball easily at Bammer.
A lot of truth there. People are rightly concerned about running HB out there against Bama. I would argue that UGA's D from last year is considerably better than Bama's D this year.

Its obvious as hell he and Bailey very easily have the highest ceilings on this team. They should really be the only ones to see the field.
Agreed. Let the best man win. But realize that you are choosing a direction for the program for at least a few recruiting cycles... or introducing unneeded confusion... once you choose one of those guys. Play Maurer... and the system starts making a lot of sense for a guy like Salter. Play HB and you are investing in pro-style almost exclusively. Different skill sets. It takes time and extra work to create an offense that works for either.

Your understanding of football is rivaled only by your mastery of writing. Maurer threw deep. He threw the RPO. He threw to the middle. He threw in the seams. I don't recall him throwing long out patterns but that's not something anyone asks a Fr to do.

You were consistently and badly wrong about JG. Nice to see you've finally come around on that. Now if you will just open your mind to see the possibilities of more than one guy at a time. Maurer has the basic skill set to be a very good QB. I love Shrout's arm but he's a pocket passer with a habit of making bad reads... and not understanding the O... in his 3rd year. I would love for him to take the field this Saturday and never look back. I just don't think he has a skill set as likely to succeed as Maurer.

I'm not sure yet what UT has in HB and have been around long enough to know that 5* guys sometimes end up being Kenny O'Neals or Chris Donalds. For that matter, UT's 5* OL doesn't quite look the part right now either.

It has been pretty consistently indicated by the staff that Shrout still hasn't caught up to where he should be mentally. Again, on that play he forgot to put a guy in motion. Had he managed the play properly... then maybe it isn't a pick.

More chances because Chaney sees what some of us do but you don't... high potential. He sees a guy who can move up in the pocket and release a perfect throw down the sideline without having to reset and wind up like JG does. He sees a guy who trusts himself to make a read, anticipate a throw, then drill it into a tight window.

I don't know who UT's next "great" QB will be. I do believe with the right coaching Maurer is going to be a very, very good QB somewhere because of the things he does that require innate ability that not everyone has.

Take away the faces, names, and numbers... and Maurer has more of the current "model" for success as a CFB QB than any of the rest (unless HB is more nimble than we've been told).

Because they're people who do not understand the game beyond a few "stats" and what an announcer says.

What Maurer did last year is not much more what UT needs than what JG is doing. But you can at least have hope that he can play and improve. He does some things really well. If they can clean up the mistakes and build on those things... they have a QB.

A lot of truth there. People are rightly concerned about running HB out there against Bama. I would argue that UGA's D from last year is considerably better than Bama's D this year.

Agreed. Let the best man win. But realize that you are choosing a direction for the program for at least a few recruiting cycles... or introducing unneeded confusion... once you choose one of those guys. Play Maurer... and the system starts making a lot of sense for a guy like Salter. Play HB and you are investing in pro-style almost exclusively. Different skill sets. It takes time and extra work to create an offense that works for either.
Seemed like Maurer was running basically the same offense as JG last year, just decided to keep it and run more. Probably wouldn't be that big of a difference in philosophy.

Good points about how the QB position effects recruiting.

Reactions: igotworms

VN Store

Back