Star Wars IX ***SPOILER THREAD***

Given Fisher's death and limitations they had with that I thought how they handled Leia's final scene was really good. They made her death mean something and gave it a purpose which was a big complaint with the last jedi where the deaths of some main characters (luke, ackbar, etc) seemed to be for no reason.

Also liked that they gave C3PO a bigger role compared to other films given that Anthony Daniels is the only main actor from the original films whose character hasn't been killed off or hasn't passed away.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Given Fisher's death and limitations they had with that I thought how they handled Leia's final scene was really good. They made her death mean something and gave it a purpose which was a big complaint with the last jedi where the deaths of some main characters (luke, ackbar, etc) seemed to be for no reason.

Also liked that they gave C3PO a bigger role compared to other films given that Anthony Daniels is the only main actor from the original films whose character hasn't been killed off or hasn't passed away.

He's also the only actor to appear in all 9 main movies and had a cameo in Rogue One. I did laugh when he said the little hacker guy was his "oldest friend" when had his memory wiped.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Rey having a yellow lightsaber at the end. That's something I've wanted to see since I was a kid and they had packed Luke Skywalker figures with a yellow lightsaber instead of a blue one.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Rey having a yellow lightsaber at the end. That's something I've wanted to see since I was a kid and they had packed Luke Skywalker figures with a yellow lightsaber instead of a blue one.
I think the ESB Luke in Bespin garb also had a yellow lightsaber.

I don’t know of anything bad I can say about this movie. Rey’s lineage was very well done, the emotion after the good guys won shows just how far movies have come since the originals.

They definitely added some very new aspects of the force, and personally I thought they were great. Rey’s force lightning scene was intense.

Phenomenal movie.

Reactions: VOLNPA
I think the ESB Luke in Bespin garb also had a yellow lightsaber.

Yeah it did. They also made his hair on both the ANH and first run ESB figures yellow blond, and then updated his hair to a lighter brown. I remember because I have both figures somewhere in my parents' attic.

I googled around and the consensus about why the lightsaber was yellow was the original promotional artwork and media all had Luke with a yellow/white lightsaber. Apparently Lucas' original idea was all of them would be a yellowish/white color because it was just going to be a "light" saber. When he couldn't make it work the way he wanted, he had the artists change it to blue and red in the post-production. That makes sense except they got Obi-Wan and Darth Vader's lighsabers right. Most agree that they had already put the Luke figures into production with the yellow and stuck with it.

Again that makes sense, but what doesn't is why the ESB Luke had a yellow lightsaber. By then they couldn't blame promotional material because it was established Luke had a blue lightsaber.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Someone help me out because I’m drawing a blank, did the movie ever touch on exactly WHY Rey couldn’t remember her parents?

Someone help me out because I’m drawing a blank, did the movie ever touch on exactly WHY Rey couldn’t remember her parents?

Not sure, maybe chalked it up to some kind of psychological blocking out because of the trama of them abandoning her. She was young but she seemed old enough that she'd have some memories of them. I'll have to watch again but ROS made it seem like the memories sort of came back to her moreso than anything was revealed, other than the link to Palpatine. That part she'd have no memory of I'm sure because I doubt her parents ever told her, nor would that even mean much to someone as young as her.

Overall I thought it was a fun movie with lots of callbacks. It is just after letting things sink in that things fell apart for me.
I get that there is cloning and other options to do it, but I felt like bringing back the Emperor and Rey as his daughter was just forced. I am guessing that they are going with Emperor being Maul'd, i.e. injured and dropped down reactor port, only to survive and show up later. They had all 3 stories they could have used to lay the groundwork to trying to bring him back (cloning, spirit of him being "horcrux'd into an item of importance- stuff used in other canon media). Instead we have a granddaughter (who the heck hooked up with Palps?) from thin air, and the Emperor is magically back/never actually left which cheapens Anakin's sacrifice. So Palpatine had a son likely when he was already deformed Palps, who was normal and made it through a time when force sensitives are hunted? Also, unless Rey is quite a bit older than Ben, wouldnt she have been born after the Emperor's fall? If so then how would he have been hunting her, unless it is meant that it was him from hiding which makes him being alive one of the best worst kept secrets ever.
I am also curious how we now have thousands of Sith having been hidden away in the outer rim, but we just now find out they exist. Before we can find anything out about them, they are gone.
Why didn't Ben Solo force ghost appear to Rey? He sacrificed himself for her a la Anakin for Luke. Felt like a slight. Of course I though Anakin should have force ghosted somewhere in there too, especially during the battle with Palpatine.
How did Ben Solo do the one thing Anakin threw everything away for, without any study? The force healing ability was just introduced by Rey, ignoring baby Yoda, but now you can pass your entire life force such that you die?
Palpatine "remote controlled" Smoke but never did that before? Was Snoke real or just a flesh suitcase for Palpatine? Given the problems with Sith apprentices, why would this not have been done much more prior to this?
Where were the First Order and their fleet? Did they all transfer over to the new Sith ships amazingly fast? I guess Kylo was more a puppet leader too, since when he turned it somehow turns out that he cannot go back and try to use his authority to direct the First Order to treat the "Last Order" as a threat.
I rolled my eyes at Chewbacca getting a medal. Better served putting that in a Christmas special.
Still think Broom Boy should have popped up behind Palpatine and stuck a broom through his heart at the end. I guess they did try to give it service with Finn continually mentioning how he had gut feelings. So everyone has the force but also the Jedi are special.
I actually did like how TLJ had Luke lamenting the failures of the Jedi. Their own hubris and corruption led to their downfall and ease of ride of the Sith. Now they are all the beacons of light again including many coming to Rey in that last second pep talk.. Of course now we know that they are full of crap too, since the prophecy is now debunked. Not sure how you can twist it to make the prophecy about Rey who actually did just end the Sith and the Skywalker legacy with it.
. Rey is about 9 years younger than Ben so she would’ve been born around 10 years after Return of the Jedi

Ending battle was lame. So much potential and they just gave us a shart.

So much potential for the atmosphere ship battle, boring
So much potential for the Sidious dual, boring

Wanted autistic-screeching Sidious and Dual of Fate/Battle of Heroes

Instead we got a bunch of people standing and fifteen seconds of force lightning and then POOF HE'S GONE GUYS

Ending battle was lame. So much potential and they just gave us a shart.

So much potential for the atmosphere ship battle, boring
So much potential for the Sidious dual, boring

Wanted autistic-screeching Sidious and Dual of Fate/Battle of Heroes

Instead we got a bunch of people standing and fifteen seconds of force lightning and then POOF HE'S GONE GUYS

I guess we know where some of the bad reviews came from.

Chewy’s death fake out was pretty lame. They revealed he was alive the next scene so it was hard to care. The chemistry of Poe, Rey, and Finn isn’t there either. They just bicker the whole time and it gets old pretty quick

Every star wars flick has a bit of cheese. It's part of it's "charm". Their bickering is just more of the same. It's part of the formula. Sometimes it hits (C3-PO). Sometimes it misses (Jar Jar).

Chewy’s death fake out was pretty lame. They revealed he was alive the next scene so it was hard to care. The chemistry of Poe, Rey, and Finn isn’t there either. They just bicker the whole time and it gets old pretty quick

I actually really liked the bickering.

The Critics RT Score: 56%
The Fans RT Score: 86%

So basically the critics that loved TLJ now hate ROS, and the audience that hated TLJ likes ROS. And seriously I'm supposed to believe AOTC is better than this (65% Critics score) and barely better than TPM (53% Critics Score). GTFO.

Reactions: NEO
The Critics RT Score: 56%
The Fans RT Score: 86%

So basically the critics that loved TLJ now hate ROS, and the audience that hated TLJ likes ROS. And seriously I'm supposed to believe AOTC is better than this (65% Critics score) and barely better than TPM (53% Critics Score). GTFO.

Agree.

This is my favorite movie in the series since empire. Fun flick and when I watch Star Wars I just want fun. Last Jedi was damn depressing.

At the end of the day though this is a kids flick and my kids loved it and said finally a Star Wars movie was fun. They both hated the other two but never saw Rogue One.

I loved rogue one though.

VN Store

Back