Star Wars IX ***SPOILER THREAD***

Just like everyone else, I liked it. Going in with low expectations helped. No, it’s not the best SW film but it’s not the worst either. It’s mid-pack and it’s a good ending to the saga.

Going to try and go this weekend. ANH came out when I was in 1st grade and the OT is ingrained into my childhood memories. Star Wars spoke directly to generations that were conditioned by the Cold War to accept moral truths and delineate good versus evil.

Reactions: vols72
Since this is the spoiler thread....

Anybody think it is coincidence baby Yoda from The Mandalorian showed force healing ability on an episode that came out early 2 days before the movie release...then in this movie it is featured heavily, and even the emperor says it was from an ancient life giving ability or something. Kylo then brings Rey back to life with it after she dies defeating the emperor.

I’m trying to remember, and it may be cannon, but I don’t recall force healing actually happening in any of the previous movies?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rishvol
Some random comments/questions:

Was it ever explained how the emperor survived? There were passing comments on cloning but I can’t remember it actually being addressed directly.

It would have been awesome when Kylo and Rey were defeated by the emperor if Anakin had came back as a force ghost to defeat him again. I was fully expecting that.

I didn’t know Leia was a Jedi? Is that cannon?

Also, when Rey got Leia’s lightsaber, I was fully expecting it to be Luke’s green one.

Rey being the granddaughter of the emperor was a good story, IMO. I wonder why her dad never used the force since he would obviously be force sensitive?

I thought Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver were excellent. Everyone else was meh, just collecting a paycheck.

Burying the Skywalker lightsabers on tattoine at Luke’s old farmstead was a good move. Leaves the door open for a follow-on....or it is a really good ending.

The possibility of the Emporer surviving was set up in the prequels when he told Anakin he knew how to keep people alive at that theater type bubble show. Additionally, The music at the show is the same music that is used whenever there was a Snoke scene as well the the Emporer scenes for this movie.

LOVE that Rey "completed her training" at the end with thr yellow lightsaber. A very small, but significant detail. Genius to those who really follow the series.

Since this is the spoiler thread....

Anybody think it is coincidence baby Yoda from The Mandalorian showed force healing ability on an episode that came out early 2 days before the movie release...then in this movie it is featured heavily, and even the emperor says it was from an ancient life giving ability or something. Kylo then brings Rey back to life with it after she dies defeating the emperor.

I’m trying to remember, and it may be cannon, but I don’t recall force healing actually happening in any of the previous movies?
99.9% sure that is the primary reason why the show released on Wednesday instead of the normal Friday.

Overall I thought it was a fun movie with lots of callbacks. It is just after letting things sink in that things fell apart for me.
I get that there is cloning and other options to do it, but I felt like bringing back the Emperor and Rey as his daughter was just forced. I am guessing that they are going with Emperor being Maul'd, i.e. injured and dropped down reactor port, only to survive and show up later. They had all 3 stories they could have used to lay the groundwork to trying to bring him back (cloning, spirit of him being "horcrux'd into an item of importance- stuff used in other canon media). Instead we have a granddaughter (who the heck hooked up with Palps?) from thin air, and the Emperor is magically back/never actually left which cheapens Anakin's sacrifice. So Palpatine had a son likely when he was already deformed Palps, who was normal and made it through a time when force sensitives are hunted? Also, unless Rey is quite a bit older than Ben, wouldnt she have been born after the Emperor's fall? If so then how would he have been hunting her, unless it is meant that it was him from hiding which makes him being alive one of the best worst kept secrets ever.
I am also curious how we now have thousands of Sith having been hidden away in the outer rim, but we just now find out they exist. Before we can find anything out about them, they are gone.
Why didn't Ben Solo force ghost appear to Rey? He sacrificed himself for her a la Anakin for Luke. Felt like a slight. Of course I though Anakin should have force ghosted somewhere in there too, especially during the battle with Palpatine.
How did Ben Solo do the one thing Anakin threw everything away for, without any study? The force healing ability was just introduced by Rey, ignoring baby Yoda, but now you can pass your entire life force such that you die?
Palpatine "remote controlled" Smoke but never did that before? Was Snoke real or just a flesh suitcase for Palpatine? Given the problems with Sith apprentices, why would this not have been done much more prior to this?
Where were the First Order and their fleet? Did they all transfer over to the new Sith ships amazingly fast? I guess Kylo was more a puppet leader too, since when he turned it somehow turns out that he cannot go back and try to use his authority to direct the First Order to treat the "Last Order" as a threat.
I rolled my eyes at Chewbacca getting a medal. Better served putting that in a Christmas special.
Still think Broom Boy should have popped up behind Palpatine and stuck a broom through his heart at the end. I guess they did try to give it service with Finn continually mentioning how he had gut feelings. So everyone has the force but also the Jedi are special.
I actually did like how TLJ had Luke lamenting the failures of the Jedi. Their own hubris and corruption led to their downfall and ease of ride of the Sith. Now they are all the beacons of light again including many coming to Rey in that last second pep talk.. Of course now we know that they are full of crap too, since the prophecy is now debunked. Not sure how you can twist it to make the prophecy about Rey who actually did just end the Sith and the Skywalker legacy with it.

Last edited:
Palpatine cheating death has been hinted at and shown, specifically in “dark empire”. It basically has Palpatine transferring his spirit using clones and stuff. It’s not canon, but seems quite similar to rise of Skywalker regarding Palpatine. He even spoke of his master darth plagueis cheating death in episode 3. I think abrams and Johnson’s different directions kind of mangled this storyline.

Reactions: VOLNPA
I liked the various old Jedi's voices coming through for Rey, though it would have been better if they had been Force Ghosts. But I get the logistics of trying to do that with all those actors involved.

Lando's entrance was cheered in the theater and I thought pretty well done.

I don't exactly understand all the stuff going on with Palpatine, and the sellout crowd of Sith spirits all watching. But it was a pretty cool, spooky scene. That was one of those scenes where it didn't feel like it made a lot of sense but it sure looked cool.

I remember the groaning of seeing the Resistance on horses but when the scene came it actually made sense and worked out ok I thought.

I felt there were a few scenes where Abrams just flat out seemed to be giving Rian Johnson the finger

Overall I'm pretty pleased. Abrams both cleaned up the mess as well as I could expect and gave a pretty fitting end to the saga.

Also I'm glad we got one more look at Han even though he was just a ghost/memory. But I had a moment where I laughed that wasn't appropriate. When the scene was happening with Kylo/Ben and you knew this time he was going to throw the lightsaber like he should have last time, in my head I was thinking how hilarious it would be if he stabbed Han again and Han yelled "OH COME ON!" I actually laughed a little and the person beside me shot me a look like "Dude this isn't funny..."

Palpatine cheating death has been hinted at and shown, specifically in “dark empire”. It basically has Palpatine transferring his spirit using clones and stuff. It’s not canon, but seems quite similar to rise of Skywalker regarding Palpatine. He even spoke of his master darth plagueis cheating death in episode 3. I think abrams and Johnson’s different directions kind of mangled this storyline.
I initially thought cloning too, but I feel like he survived the fall or was resurrected in the same body somehow. Otherwise, why would he care about Rey killing him and him posessing her? Plus, Dark Empire is still legends.

I liked the various old Jedi's voices coming through for Rey, though it would have been better if they had been Force Ghosts. But I get the logistics of trying to do that with all those actors involved.

Lando's entrance was cheered in the theater and I thought pretty well done.

I don't exactly understand all the stuff going on with Palpatine, and the sellout crowd of Sith spirits all watching. But it was a pretty cool, spooky scene. That was one of those scenes where it didn't feel like it made a lot of sense but it sure looked cool.

I remember the groaning of seeing the Resistance on horses but when the scene came it actually made sense and worked out ok I thought.

I felt there were a few scenes where Abrams just flat out seemed to be giving Rian Johnson the finger

Overall I'm pretty pleased. Abrams both cleaned up the mess as well as I could expect and gave a pretty fitting end to the saga.

Also I'm glad we got one more look at Han even though he was just a ghost/memory. But I had a moment where I laughed that wasn't appropriate. When the scene was happening with Kylo/Ben and you knew this time he was going to throw the lightsaber like he should have last time, in my head I was thinking how hilarious it would be if he stabbed Han again and Han yelled "OH COME ON!" I actually laughed a little and the person beside me shot me a look like "Dude this isn't funny..."

Lol... I actually laughed picturing that in my head.

The possibility of the Emporer surviving was set up in the prequels when he told Anakin he knew how to keep people alive at that theater type bubble show. Additionally, The music at the show is the same music that is used whenever there was a Snoke scene as well the the Emporer scenes for this movie.
He even used the same line that he did in Sith "dark side has forces some see as unnaturall" -paraphrasing

Seeing as how I thought the prequals were garbage and how the Ewoks ruined the great opening sequence in Jedi, this is probably 3rd place overall for me.

Last edited:
I initially thought cloning too, but I feel like he survived the fall or was resurrected in the same body somehow. Otherwise, why would he care about Rey killing him and him posessing her?

Yeah I wish it could’ve been explained and developed more. I know he spoke of Snoke being a clone and it actually showed more Snoke clones, and he basically used them to do his bidding. So I don’t think it’s exactly like dark empire, just seems like they used it as inspiration perhaps. Even the whole sith sacrifice where he was going to transfer spirit into Rey. Idk, I think using abrams then Johnson who both had different views and directions was a mistake and obviously hurt the story line. But overall I feel like rise of Skywalker at least somewhat salvaged it. I enjoyed it.

I agree that ROS salvaged much from what TLJ screwed up. I also think it left some things that it should not have. Jedi as fallible now back to the beacons of light (any voice beyond Luke was not needed, and Rey could have gone on to hint at the need for a more enlightened non-jedi Jedi order).
Rose was hated but I find having her in the movie after being pretty important in the prior movie was kinda off-putting. Have her die heroically, perhaps to save Finn. Instead she literally tells us she isn't important and is staying behind to do housework. Instead we get a new potential love interest for Finn who may be Lando's (apparently this part was cut but is hinted at by the last conversation). Either carry Rose forward or you make sure the "new character"(can't remember her name) is set up in the prior movie.
Also, Luke says "See you around, kid" but literally does nothing in ROS to back this up. I was hoping for a force ghost Luke to be poking at Kylo/Ben. Also, how can Leia (and Luke ghost) agree that Ben is beyond saving and then shortly after timeline wise, he is back to redeemable (but by Leia "forcing" to her death).
I also think with such a strong force connection between them (Sith prophesized Dyad), that both Rey and Ben should have died together.

Last edited:
I now think we need a Spaceballs 2 or something so we can get this scene.
I was glad we got Han helping to turn Ben back as well.

I do kind of feel bad for the acctress that played Rose. It's not really her fault IMO and she ends up paying for Johnson's screw up. She was a glorifed extra.

Went this morning when I saw how limited seat availability was if I waited until later in the day. I enjoyed it. I take it for what it is. Obviously, we will have to have a Finn backstory film now.

My wife thinks Leia was perhaps who they wanted to talk to Kylo, but obviously had to improvise given her unavailability. Not that they didn't know going in, just that she would have been the preference since her presence as a forceheavy being is easier to accept than a memory of Han.

My wife thinks Leia was perhaps who they wanted to talk to Kylo, but obviously had to improvise given her unavailability. Not that they didn't know going in, just that she would have been the preference since her presence as a forceheavy being is easier to accept than a memory of Han.
Mine wondered why they didn't show two rebel men getting down on each other since they had the very obvious girl on girl kiss.

VN Store

Back