Star Wars IX ***SPOILER THREAD***

Chewy’s death fake out was pretty lame. They revealed he was alive the next scene so it was hard to care. The chemistry of Poe, Rey, and Finn isn’t there either. They just bicker the whole time and it gets old pretty quick

I still don't understand how Chewy survived. There wasn't a 2nd ship. Did I miss something?

Since this is the spoiler thread....

Anybody think it is coincidence baby Yoda from The Mandalorian showed force healing ability on an episode that came out early 2 days before the movie release...then in this movie it is featured heavily, and even the emperor says it was from an ancient life giving ability or something. Kylo then brings Rey back to life with it after she dies defeating the emperor.

I’m trying to remember, and it may be cannon, but I don’t recall force healing actually happening in any of the previous movies?
Just started this thread so SIAP, but like Leia did for Ben it’s giving your life force to bring them back...requires self sacrifice. Baby Yoda’s ability didn’t require that.

Just got home. First impressions before I read the thread.

From what I had read/heard I was expecting this thing to be ultra fan service in much the same way TFA was. While that was presen, it wasn’t as overindulgent as I expected it.

In regards to TLJ retconning... I’m not a fan of Rey being a Palpatine. I was very happy with her being a “no body”. I guess it served the story’s climax but, much like Leia being revealed as Luke’s sister in ROTJ, it felt very tacked on. Plus Leia and Luke knew who she was but gave no hints? She didn’t even question Ghost Luke when he said it... Why did Kylo glue his helmet back? Made no sense. He was better without it. That mask is a watered down Vader mask... Why did Rey “fix” Luke/Anakin’s saber then pretend she wasn’t worthy of it yet? She should have had her own saber from the beginning.

Palpatine in general was kinda meh. Huge mcguffin to tie up the trilogy. No clues to him being behind it all was preset. Why go into hiding and let the Empire fall if he was never really dead. Why “create” Snoke just to fill the same role? Who was building and crewing all those Star Destroyers. And now they have Death Star caliber cannons?!? Who were the Sith followers in the audience? None of that felt earned.

And seriously, what does Abrams have against R2D2? Barely in it again.

On the plus side I’m glad the main 3 characters got plenty of screen time together. Kinda makes me mad about the previous 2 for not building the chemistry of the new trio any better. The banter between Rey and Poe about the Falcon and BB8 was great.

I liked how they kept the force connection between Rey and Kylo. The dual between two locations was cool. Shot really well. I did chuckle to myself at anyone in the town who saw Kylo swinging his saber around like he was playing a VR game.

I enjoyed C3P0 more than ever. He had some great lines. It was sad to see him get mind wiped but they had already set the stage for the R2 update. Still... when he kept introducing himself I smiled every time.

On that note, once he gave the coordinates, I felt lost as to why they kept seeking the Sith wayfinder. I may have just missed the explanation.

Despite my misgivings about Rey’s true past, I did get a little choked up when she said she was a Skywalker at the end.

Those are somethings off the top of my head. It was a fun Star Wars movie. Aspects of it I really liked. Other aspects I was cold on. Overall I did enjoy it though.

He's also the only actor to appear in all 9 main movies and had a cameo in Rogue One. I did laugh when he said the little hacker guy was his "oldest friend" when had his memory wiped.

I was disappointed they weren’t in Solo. R2 and C3P0 should be the Stan Lee of Star Wars movies... at least any that take place after TPM.

I still don't understand how Chewy survived. There wasn't a 2nd ship. Did I miss something?

No.

You did not.

It was a good thst the writers ran out of time to fix somehow and they just moved on.

Loved the movie but it was clearly trying to redo and entire previous movie and that doesn’t allow for slot of left over time.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I agree that ROS salvaged much from what TLJ screwed up. I also think it left some things that it should not have. Jedi as fallible now back to the beacons of light (any voice beyond Luke was not needed, and Rey could have gone on to hint at the need for a more enlightened non-jedi Jedi order).
Rose was hated but I find having her in the movie after being pretty important in the prior movie was kinda off-putting. Have her die heroically, perhaps to save Finn. Instead she literally tells us she isn't important and is staying behind to do housework. Instead we get a new potential love interest for Finn who may be Lando's (apparently this part was cut but is hinted at by the last conversation). Either carry Rose forward or you make sure the "new character"(can't remember her name) is set up in the prior movie.
Also, Luke says "See you around, kid" but literally does nothing in ROS to back this up. I was hoping for a force ghost Luke to be poking at Kylo/Ben. Also, how can Leia (and Luke ghost) agree that Ben is beyond saving and then shortly after timeline wise, he is back to redeemable (but by Leia "forcing" to her death).
I also think with such a strong force connection between them (Sith prophesized Dyad), that both Rey and Ben should have died together.

I was disappointed Luke didn’t haunt Kylo too.

Did Luke and Leia agree he was lost for good? Luke said “No one is ever really gone.”

I didn’t care for Rose’s character either. Mostly because her storyline was the weakest part of TLJ. Abrams did her a disservice though. He could have easily given her a decent story.

Chewy’s death fake out was pretty lame. They revealed he was alive the next scene so it was hard to care. The chemistry of Poe, Rey, and Finn isn’t there either. They just bicker the whole time and it gets old pretty quick

I was already pissed at Rey for Chewy getting captured. If she hadn’t been out there standing around he wouldn’t have left the ship. Then the force lightning happened and it’s the only dam in the movie I let out an audible “whoah!”... For the split second I thought Chewy was dead I was pissed at Rey.

The fake out was kinda lame but I guess they needed a reason to board Ren’s Star Destroyer.

Another thought...

Chewy getting the medal. I smiled but that was probably the corniest fan servicey moment of the whole movie. Really unnecessary too.

That makes a little more sense but it was still intended as a nod toward Chewy not getting a medal in ANH.

That and I think it was sort of an indirect nod to Abrams' admitted screw up in TFA that Leia and Chewy should have had a moment after Han died, not Leia and Rey.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Oh... did anyone care about the planet they blew up? I didn’t even catch that it was the planet they met Babu Frick until I was listening to a podcast review later.

Not only am I ready to move past Skywalkers but also Death Star tech.

Also... did anyone that had a problem with Luke’s force projection in TLJ also have a problem with Rey force teleporting Kylo a lightsaber?

I have zero problem with any of that stuff. The force was at the risk of getting stale. I love that they went the suspension of disbelief route and give it more depth. I hate when people question believability of sci-fi and fantasy stories. It's all not believable. That's kind of the point. I have made comments about Jedi moving X wings but having trouble dragging Vader into their ship. But who the F cares? Just enjoy the story and the spectacle. Seems to many go out of their way to hate things

So apparently it's going around the internet that some things got cut from the final version. Apparently the Reylo kiss wasn't supposed to happen, and Disney basically made Abrams put it in.

The supposed cut part that bums me is apparently the final battle scene was supposed to be much better, as they had the actual actors in as force ghosts. Hayden Christensen was there as Anakin, Liam Neeson was Qui-Gon, McGregor was Obi-Wan, Samuel L. Jackson was Mace, Hamill was there as Luke and they used footage for Leia and CGI for Yoda. Ashoka was the only one that was just a voice since she has not been protrayed in live action yet. And they were going to be a barrier around Rey and actively participating in the battle, protecting Rey. Apparently it was filmed and everything and for whatever reason Disney made Abrams reshoot it and decided it should just be voices.

So apparently it's going around the internet that some things got cut from the final version. Apparently the Reylo kiss wasn't supposed to happen, and Disney basically made Abrams put it in.

The supposed cut part that bums me is apparently the final battle scene was supposed to be much better, as they had the actual actors in as force ghosts. Hayden Christensen was there as Anakin, Liam Neeson was Qui-Gon, McGregor was Obi-Wan, Samuel L. Jackson was Mace, Hamill was there as Luke and they used footage for Leia and CGI for Yoda. Ashoka was the only one that was just a voice since she has not been protrayed in live action yet. And they were going to be a barrier around Rey and actively participating in the battle, protecting Rey. Apparently it was filmed and everything and for whatever reason Disney made Abrams reshoot it and decided it should just be voices.

I don’t know if that sounds better or not. My inner visualization of it sounds corny. I get that someone wanted it to be Rey that wins the day.

I have heard there was some cut dialogue before the kiss. I guess some say you can see Rey’s mouth moving like she is talking.

I don’t know if that sounds better or not. My inner visualization of it sounds corny. I get that someone wanted it to be Rey that wins the day.

I have heard there was some cut dialogue before the kiss. I guess some say you can see Rey’s mouth moving like she is talking.

The voices are ok, but the problem is many didn't seem to realize who they were supposed to be. I would have rather actually seen them than just voices. Plus it kind of doesn't make sense that they didn't visualize when the Emperor has a sellout crowd of former Sith in attendance.

VN Store

Back