Sporting News ranks SEC coaches

Don't pretend USCe didn't have 2x the talent of Vandy.

They don't. Vandy's defense is much better and Kenny McKinley isn't half the receiver Earl Bennett is. Now, seeing as how you were about 14 years old when Mr. Spurrier left for the NFL, I'll stop debating with you.

They don't. Vandy's defense is much better and Kenny McKinley isn't half the receiver Earl Bennett is. Now, seeing as how you were about 14 years old when Mr. Spurrier left for the NFL, I'll stop debating with you.

:lol:

Yes. I'm young. I must know nothing.

Spurrier was the best coach in the SEC for a very long time. But he has done nothing at South Carolina to prove to me he hasn't lost his edge over the others.

Yes, SOS cares deeply what some putz thinks about his accomplishments. Dickens is one of the most moronic posters I've ever seen on this board.

By the way.....Spurrier has more SEC Championships than any other active coach....

Yes, SOS cares deeply what some putz thinks about his accomplishments. Dickens is one of the most moronic posters I've ever seen on this board.

By the way.....Spurrier has more SEC Championships than any other active coach....

:birgits_giggle::birgits_giggle:

Find the part where I said Spurrier was better than either of those guys before you waste your time typing out this ridiculous garbage. Spurrier getting to 100 wins faster than Neyland had nothing to do with the General's military responsibilities. Notice I said he did it in fewer games, not fewer years.

If you're not intimating that he's better, then you shouldn't use some selective statistic to compare him to Neyland or Bryant. I know you meant fewer games. I am almost certain he did it in fewer seasons; he was coaching 12-13 games a season to Neyland's 10.

Frankly, putting Steve Spurrier in the same sentence with two of the greatest coaches who ever lived, regardless of the context, is silly. Spurrier had a great run of about five years, then was pretty good for a few more, and hasn't done squat since.

I think you beat him.

Truth be told, SOS is one of the best coaches of all time. CFP is a good coach, but if anyone disagrees that he isn't a coach of great circumstance, they are moronic.

I love what CPF has done for us, but I just think we need need new blood in this system. I won't pretend to have an expert opinion on who would be a great replacement...but I wouldn't mind a guy from Texas.

Anyways, Go Vols. Dickens..you are an idiot.

Truth be told, SOS is one of the best coaches of all time. CFP is a good coach, but if anyone disagrees that he isn't a coach of great circumstance, they are moronic.

I love what CPF has done for us, but I just think we need need new blood in this system. I won't pretend to have an expert opinion on who would be a great replacement...but I wouldn't mind a guy from Texas.

Anyways, Go Vols. Dickens..you are an idiot.

I'm sure it really doesn't bother him what you think, but I don't see what he did to be called an idiot. Steve Spurrier is not one of the greatest coaches of all time, thats moronic.
Edit: I just went back and read the rest of the forum. You shouldn't call Dickens an idiot just because he spoke the truth about your man crush Spurrier.

this list = crap.

Bobby Johnson has pulled out a few good wins, but he's yet to take Vanderbilt to a bowl. And they have him ranked so high? SOS is way too high. Did he even get to a bowl this year?

I would still take Spurrier over any other active coach in the SEC....today. Saban would be close second.

Fulmer was exactly where Richt is now in his first six years but only BETTER! Take what they said about Richt:

"Here is all you need to know: Richt is fourth among active I-A coaches with a .791 winning percentage (72-19). Want more? He's one of just six coaches to win two SEC crowns in his first five years"

Fulmer had a better record than Richt AND add a national tittle to that and Fulmer was head and shoulders above Richt when comparing the two at that stage. I post this only to show how people love you when your winning. Smile and the Vol Nation smiles with you, fart out a 5-6 and you stand alone. :salute:

Fulmer was exactly where Richt is now in his first six years but only BETTER! Take what they said about Richt:

"Here is all you need to know: Richt is fourth among active I-A coaches with a .791 winning percentage (72-19). Want more? He's one of just six coaches to win two SEC crowns in his first five years"

Fulmer had a better record than Richt AND add a national tittle to that and Fulmer was head and shoulders above Richt when comparing the two at that stage. I post this only to show how people love you when your winning. Smile and the Vol Nation smiles with you, fart out a 5-6 and you stand alone. :salute:
:eek:lol:

I believe Gen Neyland and Bear Bryant are two of the best ever, but to pretend Spurrier wasn't in their class is misguided. They both played in an era when competition was limited by scholarship rules.

Neither was as innovative as Spurrier and neither had to recruit in an era where figuring out how to recruit without pandering is a tough gig.

I would still take Spurrier over any other active coach in the SEC....today. Saban would be close second.

I agree, except for the Saban part. Spurrier will have SC winning. He's brought in some good recruiting classes. The next 2 years will tell a lot. The man ruled the SEC at FL and, personally, I feel he has a lot to do with the strength of the SEC today.

My #2 is Urban Meyer. He's done great stuff at FL, winning a NC rather quickly. The decision to use Tebow in a lot of plays the NC year really paid off.

Richt has had a lot of talent come through Athens. I can't believe he doesn't have a NC. It seems they always start out in the top 10, exit the top 25 rather quickly and finish strong, but by then the damage has been done. In fact, I think Richt is quite the opposite of the top 5-6 SEC coaches. They've gotten it done.

Recruiting aside, Fulmer ranks, in my book, as one of the most mediocre game coaches around. I've seen him out-coached many more times than I've seen him out-coach the opposition, and most of the times with much more raw talent on the field. But he's the coach and I will pull for him to win, and just hope and pray he will surround himself with enough coaching talent to overcome his limitations.

I understand...Spurrier has forgotten more about offense than most of the active SEC coaches will ever know.

You could not be more wrong. As much as I dislike him I have to say that he has not forgotten a damn thing! He may not have the horses but his mind is still sharp, very sharp. SOS problem is the same it has always been. He is not a recruiter and hates it.

Spurrier will have SC winning. He's brought in some good recruiting classes. The next 2 years will tell a lot. The man ruled the SEC at FL

Just wondering how many times we are going to hear the same thing? He was amazing in the 90's and he is making SC competitive but not a champ contender

Just wondering how many times we are going to hear the same thing? He was amazing in the 90's and he is making SC competitive but not a champ contender

I was wondering how long it would take before someone commented on me saying that.

An interesting fact:
SC under Holtze's tenure lost the average game by a score of 20.3 - 21.3.
Under Spurrier they've won the average game by a score of 26.2 - 22.3 .

They may not be a championship challenger yet, but they're heading in the right direction.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone commented on me saying that.

An interesting fact:
SC under Holtze's tenure lost the average game by a score of 20.3 - 21.3.
Under Spurrier they've won the average game by a score of 26.2 - 22.3 .

They may not be a championship challenger yet, but they're heading in the right direction.

Until you SOS gets more into recruiting he will not win at USCe.

sorry but to me losing your last 5 games to finish 6-6 (and miss a bowl) is not the right direction. They say to give a coach 4 years to get his players into the system so it looks like SOS needs to do wonders this year.

VN Store

Back