Sporting News ranks SEC coaches

i know. but that still doesn't change anything. fulmer was undefeated at one point too. but does that mean that he is ranked up there at the top tier of current sec coaches? no

It's a matter of, "What have you done for me lately?" Obviously, 2004 is much more recent than 1998.

Wrong.
Final recruiting rankings according to Rivals:
2003 - LSU #1, FL #2, GA #6
2004 - LSU #2, GA #6, FL #7
2005 - GA #10, FL #15, LSU #22
2006 - FL #2, GA #4, LSU #7
2007 - FL #1, LSU #4, GA #9
2008 - FL #3, GA #7, LSU #11

Of those 3 teams, GA is the only one that's finished in the top 10 in Rivals rankings the last 6 years. I'd say, without doing any math, that they average a higher final ranking than LSU.

He's a good coach. He's won 2 SEC crowns. Still, with great recruiting and high starting points in the top 25 every year, he has no NC and hasn't even played in the BCS title game. In 2006 they lost to Vandy and KY, IN THE SAME SEASON!!!

On a side note, I look at the above recruiting stats and, if Rivals knows anything about football recruiting, UM and crew are recruiting superheros.

I did some research just to emphasize my point regarding game changers LSU vs. Georgia and over the last five years LSU has 10 such players, meaning five stars, and Georgia has 5. I am not saying being a five star is everything but we all know what the affect of one Eric Berry is on a team. Not all of these guys pan out but they are generally your best guys. Stafford for GA or Doucet to Perrilloux for LSU. So I stick by my guns in saying LSU is a much has been a more talented team then GA. Although, they have been about even over the last couple of years. Richt and GA are or have ascended to the top tier in the SEC talent wise very recently.

i know. but that still doesn't change anything. fulmer was undefeated at one point too. but does that mean that he is ranked up there at the top tier of current sec coaches? no

Which is why I posed it as a QUESTION of whether you would have said that i 2004... But I guess there is a huge difference between being a good coach in 2004 and one in 2007-2008.... I guess we better not get too expect about Pearl, in 3 seasons he COULD be just another horrible TN bball coach...

Interesting...2 of the top 4 coaches on that list went a combined 1-9(that is .100 folks) combined, over their respective last 5 games.

3 of the top 4 went 5-10(.333) over the same stretch...great for baseball.

VN Store

Back