Sporting News ranks SEC coaches

Moral victories are still losses

But how good a coach is rests on more than winning %, especially if your at a place like vanderbilt.... Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but my argument rests on two premises:

1) the SEC is a much more well-balanced conference with legitimately 4-5 teams that could win a national championship every year. This type of balance is a modern notion ( I know some of you will feel the need to try and correct me by spouting off how much you know about the SEC in the 80's or even further, but lets not forget KY beat LSU last year and miss. state beat auburn).

2) B/c of this, it is unfair to say that a current coach in the SEC (esp. at a school like vanderbilt) is no better than past coaches b/c his winnign % is the same, esp. if he is playing better teams than they were. Yes, Vandy choked at the end of last season, etc., but Vandy is no longer a laughing stock in the SEC - and since they have MUCH higher academic standards than the rest of the SEC, and since they have the least strongest fan-base, he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best coaches in the SEC...

There's no reason that a team with Jay Cutler and Earl Bennett can't manage to win 3 SEC games and 3 OOC games in order to make a bowl appearance. Bobby Johnson just isn't that great.

Georgia's recruiting classes over the past 6 years do not in anyway compare to UFs' UF and LSU are the most talented teams in the SEC.

Wrong.
Final recruiting rankings according to Rivals:
2003 - LSU #1, FL #2, GA #6
2004 - LSU #2, GA #6, FL #7
2005 - GA #10, FL #15, LSU #22
2006 - FL #2, GA #4, LSU #7
2007 - FL #1, LSU #4, GA #9
2008 - FL #3, GA #7, LSU #11

Of those 3 teams, GA is the only one that's finished in the top 10 in Rivals rankings the last 6 years. I'd say, without doing any math, that they average a higher final ranking than LSU.

He's a good coach. He's won 2 SEC crowns. Still, with great recruiting and high starting points in the top 25 every year, he has no NC and hasn't even played in the BCS title game. In 2006 they lost to Vandy and KY, IN THE SAME SEASON!!!

On a side note, I look at the above recruiting stats and, if Rivals knows anything about football recruiting, UM and crew are recruiting superheros.

Wrong.
Final recruiting rankings according to Rivals:
2003 - LSU #1, FL #2, GA #6
2004 - LSU #2, GA #6, FL #7
2005 - GA #10, FL #15, LSU #22
2006 - FL #2, GA #4, LSU #7
2007 - FL #1, LSU #4, GA #9
2008 - FL #3, GA #7, LSU #11

Of those 3 teams, GA is the only one that's finished in the top 10 in Rivals rankings the last 6 years. I'd say, without doing any math, that they average a higher final ranking than LSU.

He's a good coach. He's won 2 SEC crowns. Still, with great recruiting and high starting points in the top 25 every year, he has no NC and hasn't even played in the BCS title game. In 2006 they lost to Vandy and KY, IN THE SAME SEASON!!!

On a side note, I look at the above recruiting stats and, if Rivals knows anything about football recruiting, UM and crew are recruiting superheros.

Well I did the Math based on your number if you take the average Florida is #1 by a good bit, while GA is #2 by decimal points over LSU. Then again, if you notice Georgia did not crack the top 3 any of those years like FL and LSU did multiple times. This means they missed out on many five star/ Game Changers/ Eric Berry types- or in LSU terms Dorsey, Russell, All their WRs, OTs, etc. What your stats do show is FL is the most talented team without argument. And Meyer lost 4 games this year thus an underachiever. What the core of the debate was focused on--if GA is closer to LSU in talent level than I thought great. I still say LSU was more talented until this upcoming year, this year only FL is more talented. Again we were discussing Meyer vs. Richt. Richt has shown he is the better coach IMO. Hopefully, Meyer will continue to underachieve this year.

Meyer has already underachieved his way to an undefeated season and a National Championship. Richt has had tons five star players in his last few years. Matt Stafford and Muhammed Massaquoi come to mind. I also don't see how Richt's 1-2 record against Meyer shows that Mark is the better coach.

Meyer has already underachieved his way to an undefeated season and a National Championship. Richt has had tons five star players in his last few years. Matt Stafford and Muhammed Massaquoi come to mind. I also don't see how Richt's 1-2 record against Meyer shows that Mark is the better coach.

Agreed, although Meyer never went undefeated. He lost to Auburn the NC year. In 2 years Meyer conquered CFB.

Oh, wait a minute, you're talking about Utah. My bad. I forgot there was life before FL.

i didn't read through this thread so it might have already been said, but i don't think there's anyway that Sly Croom should be dead last

the fact that that article has bobby johnson ahead of petrino should keep it from having any credibility whatsoever.

Meyer should of won the national title. He had the best team on paper. Meyer should not of lost a game to Georgia but did. That is underachieving win you are the most talented team you should not lose four games in a season. Meyer was using his offense for the first time last year and lost four. So why do you guys expect different results this year? GA had one receiver compared to FL's 4 hmmm. Leak and Tebow not just Stafford hmmm. Not to mention he has guys waiting in the wings behind these guys now hmmm. The only difference is Meyer can underachieve and still get recruits because he is in FL. If TN or GA does we have bad recruiting years FL just drops to a decent year. Yeah he won at Utah since playing with the big boys with his system which is really just last year he has done poorly overall. Hate on Richt all you want he is a better football coach as is Tuberville and others. And we were not comparing Fulmer to Meyer but you keep changing the question I guess.

There's no reason that a team with Jay Cutler and Earl Bennett can't manage to win 3 SEC games and 3 OOC games in order to make a bowl appearance. Bobby Johnson just isn't that great.

Okay, so the criteria we are basing this on continues to change.... Richt and Meyer are both considered to not be that good because they either a) don't maximize their player's potential that is based off of high school ratings, or b) they inherited their good players, etc.

But then when it comes to Bobby Johnson, the argument is that since he had Jay Cutler and Earl Bennett (who was what a freshman when Cutler was there I think?) that he should have won more games - an argument that undermines the fact that Johnson DID maximize his player's potentials... Besides, two great players that are divided by 2 or 3 years is still not going to get you over the hump with a bunch of average players that didn't receive offers to play for any other SEC schools (granted this isn't always the case, but moreso than at any other SEC school)

Meyer should of won the national title. He had the best team on paper. Meyer should not of lost a game to Georgia but did. That is underachieving win you are the most talented team you should not lose four games in a season. Meyer was using his offense for the first time last year and lost four. So why do you guys expect different results this year? GA had one receiver compared to FL's 4 hmmm. Leak and Tebow not just Stafford hmmm. Not to mention he has guys waiting in the wings behind these guys now hmmm. The only difference is Meyer can underachieve and still get recruits because he is in FL. If TN or GA does we have bad recruiting years FL just drops to a decent year. Yeah he won at Utah since playing with the big boys with his system which is really just last year he has done poorly overall. Hate on Richt all you want he is a better football coach as is Tuberville and others. And we were not comparing Fulmer to Meyer but you keep changing the question I guess.

I really don't believe that Tubby is a better coach that Fulmer. I just don't buy it.

Yeah using head to head arguments don't really work for last year.... we destroyed GA, so did we underachieve against florida? possibly, although I bet a nickel that it would have been considered an upset if we would have won. Furthermore, KY beat LSU, Miss. State beat Auburn, the list goes on and on for last year....

I really don't believe that Tubby is a better coach that Fulmer. I just don't buy it.

The discussion was Meyer vs. Richt and I was saying Tubby is better than Meyer. We were not comparing Fulmer or I was not. Others seem to be jumbling the discussion.

Also, blame Florida being able to have great recruiting years every year on the fact that they are no longer in competitions with florida state and miami (although miami changed that this year) but for the past 3 years florida dominiated b/c fla state and miami were down....

The discussion was Meyer vs. Richt and I was saying Tubby is better than Meyer. We were not comparing Fulmer or I was not. Others seem to be jumbling the discussion.

my bad, i misunderstood. on that issue, though, i still don't think tubberville is better. he's a decent coach, but i would rate urban around the top tier of the sec with tuberville around 5th or 6ish.

my bad, i misunderstood. on that issue, though, i still don't think tubberville is better. he's a decent coach, but i would rate urban around the top tier of the sec with tuberville around 5th or 6ish.

Would you have said the same thing after the 2004 season?

Spurrier was the best coach in the SEC for a very long time. But he has done nothing at South Carolina to prove to me he hasn't lost his edge over the others.

Ya think that might have someting to do with the talent he had at Florida vs SC. With the talent pool in Florida, if can't recruit there and have a good FB team, you probably should not be a head coach, especially in the SEC.

Would you have said the same thing after the 2004 season?

meyer wasn't even in the sec in 2004. i see where what you are saying but at that point not much was known about meyer other than he was "the guy that was turning heads in utah"

meyer wasn't even in the sec in 2004. i see where what you are saying but at that point not much was known about meyer other than he was "the guy that was turning heads in utah"

My apologies, my question was directed to your statement that Tuberville was middle of the road... 2004 is when Auburn went undefeated..

i know. but that still doesn't change anything. fulmer was undefeated at one point too. but does that mean that he is ranked up there at the top tier of current sec coaches? no

GA's had as good recruiting as FL and LSU. FL and LSU have won 3 NC in the last 5 years. GA has zero. It's that simple.

Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee. To last as long as he has in a high-pressure job speaks volumes for how good of a coach Fulmer is. And he has a BCS title on his resume. Let's all sing "Rocky Top!" But recent history tells us Fulmer is slipping. The dirty little secret in Knoxville: The Vols haven't won the SEC since 1998.

is it a secret that we have not won anything since 98? hardly.

While, granted, I am disappointed that we haven't won a SECC in a while, I am impressed every time I go to the following link and scroll down while glancing at the wins column. PF has won a lot of games and has a lot of 10 win seasons. Just some optimism, that's all.

Tennessee Yearly Totals

VN Store

Back