Sporting News ranks SEC coaches

Thats ridiculous! Fulmer lead UT to the SEC and Natl' title only 9 years ago! Thats less than a decade! [/sarcasm]

He may be ranked low, but according to the article, he is included as one of the most talented in America. Ranked low to what standard?

Who cares? There are rankings every year, by hundreds of different people. What makes this guy's opinion right over the countless other people who have made their own arbitrary rankings?

Because he writes for a website?

Until Richt wins a national championship, he will be #6, right behind the others who have actually finished a season at #1.

TD is not exactly known for being a fulmer fan....he's generally been pretty hard on him....sometimes rightfully so, sometimes he just comes off as a blow hard.

Good heavens. The media has had some sort of man-crush on Mark Richt ever since he won the national championship, SEC title and SEC East last fall.

What's that you say? He didn't win ANY of those things? :lolabove:

I agree with UTLCA. The five coaches in the SEC who have won a national championship should rate 1-5 in any order you prefer. Tuberville, who once did everything they ask of you and deserved to win one, rates sixth. Then comes Richt and his two No. 2 finishes.

The ridiculous thing about the SEC is that I think you could take any of the 12 SEC head coaches, put them in the Big 10 and they would produce teams that win big in no time flat. Look no further than Ron Zook for evidence...

Yeah his 1 NC is more than all of the rest of the coaches in the SEC. :whistling:

He reached 100 wins in fewer games than General Neyland or Bear Bryant.

Additionally, if you want to look at number of SEC titles:

11 other SEC coaches: 9

Steve Spurrier: 6

Being as we won the East and lost the SEC title game. I think Fulmer should be #2 on the list. Heck, he won his NC before any of the other guys besides Spurrier.

Spurrier was the best coach in the SEC for a very long time. But he has done nothing at South Carolina to prove to me he hasn't lost his edge over the others.

Spurrier was the best coach in the SEC for a very long time. But he has done nothing at South Carolina to prove to me he hasn't lost his edge over the others.

At one point, Spurrier and Fulmer were 1-2 in the SEC coaching ranks. Like you said, they have both lost their edge, but I would say Fulmer has even more.

Of course Spurrier has lost his edge. Might have something to do with taking the USC job in order to play golf at Augusta...

He may have gotten to 100 wins faster than Neyland, I don't care enough to actually count them and figure it out. But his record is in no way comparable to Neyland's as a whole. Neyland was 173-31-12, Spurrier is currently 163-56-2. Neyland leads in conference titles (7-6), arguably leads in national titles (the NCAA recognizes him with four), and had six undefeated seasons to Spurrier's zero. If Neyland hadn't had to spend several years in military service, the comparison would be even more lopsided. He missed six seasons, and a few others were all but wasted rebuilding the program after he returned.

Comparing him to Bryant is beyond ridiculous. Spurrier could coach until he was 100 and not match his achievements, especially now that he's at South Carolina. He lost his chance at all-time greatness the day he quit at UF, and it's not coming back.

He beat the #1 coach on this list with a team half as talented.

He may have gotten to 100 wins faster than Neyland, I don't care enough to actually count them and figure it out. But his record is in no way comparable to Neyland's as a whole. Neyland was 173-31-12, Spurrier is currently 163-56-2. Neyland leads in conference titles (7-6), arguably leads in national titles (the NCAA recognizes him with four), and had six undefeated seasons to Spurrier's zero. If Neyland hadn't had to spend several years in military service, the comparison would be even more lopsided. He missed six seasons, and a few others were all but wasted rebuilding the program after he returned.

Comparing him to Bryant is beyond ridiculous. Spurrier could coach until he was 100 and not match his achievements, especially now that he's at South Carolina. He lost his chance at all-time greatness the day he quit at UF, and it's not coming back.

Find the part where I said Spurrier was better than either of those guys before you waste your time typing out this ridiculous garbage. Spurrier getting to 100 wins faster than Neyland had nothing to do with the General's military responsibilities. Notice I said he did it in fewer games, not fewer years.

VN Store

Back