Something needs to be said about our QB situation

To be honest JG has taken a beating since he became the starter due to a bad OL. I am not sure he has ever been coached by a good QB coach. I believe that has had an impact on his lack of development. He does not seem to have a pocket present that gets him additional beatings and trouble seeing the field. Shular had a problem see the field when he went to the pro but in college he could run it and helped hide that. Seems with Tee and Winke, they could help him and our improving OL will also help. Not sure pocket present can be coached, don't know. JG is a tough kid and has more ball ahead of him. PS Maurer needs to learn to slide.

The culture seems healthy. As evidenced by the fight, improvement, and random displays you pointed out here. Plus dat locker room vid. They care.

Reactions: amorange
Not sure of your relation, but I am a big fan of the kid. He forces the ball and makes mistakes a freshman usually does...but the kid is a gamer and has brass balls.

It's not lost on me...though it is on most..that Maurer only had 1 man to beat on that play that hurt him or he could have scored. He definitely needs to learn to protect himself, but in that instance I dont fault him at all because he was close to taking it to the house. He is a ball of fire, and will not come out scared of Bama...even though he probably should. Bama has a great D line this year, we need to be careful with the kid or he will get knocked out of 3 in a row...I hope JG plays some drives just for that reason.

Bailey is a stud ..there is no doubt. He threw for 6 TDs and ran for 1 friday night. Many here are just assuming that he is gonna come in and beat out Maurer for the starting job as a freshman next year. That will be a very tough thing to do IMO...particularly just because CJP knows that Maurer is a gamer...so even if Bailey looks a little sharper in practice, Maurer may well play better once the lights come on and 100k fans show up.

Looks like Bailey is still solid in his committment and recruiting other players and WR to come here as well. Hopefully we can redshirt Byrd so that he and Johnson can be mentors for all the freshman and soph WR next year. I look forward to our QB competition next year...

Early, early prediction: we have no starter named game 1, and both Maurer and Bailey get playing time to see who is better in game conditions. People shouldnt underestimate the "gamer" factor. It weighs heavily on coaches minds, and if Maurer continues to play well this season will help him greatly next year. By ALL accounts, Josh Dobbs wasnt a good practice QB...but he put our team on his shoulders and carried it to MANY wins. He was a true gamer...and I think Maurer is also.

Tell your boy that VN is proud of him. We are
Bailey is a very good qb. No doubt about it. Maurer is just the tougher one to defend. It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I’m not sure how essentially hitting the reset button next year to play another freshman qb benefits us. If BM can get his decision making under control this season It should be locked down for 2020 and Bailey can redshirt. Ideally that’s what we hope for.

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
Says something for Guarantano, but how he conducts himself after losing the starting spot reflects on him to a possible future team.

I’m optimistic about our qb. I’m optimistic about our direction with him at the helm. What you’re failing to realize is freshman qbs usually come in with a long list of things you hope get corrected. Maurers list is all of 2 items long: Decision making- which will come with time in the system and Physical growth- which will come with another year in S&C. Once he gets those 2 things under control are you telling me you feel comfortable playing against him? Good luck
In the interest of my kids having a great UT college experience I'm okay with UT turning the tables on UF. History and the directions of the two programs suggest otherwise.

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
Yes, these are two high quality players, but I give Maurer the edge in terms of LEADERSHIP on the field. The team plays better as a whole when he is out there, and his enthusiasm is contagious. You can't teach that, but it is 100% as important as passing talent.

Witch Doctor say lets all remember JG CHOSE to come here, wanted to be here, dreamed of being here. Witch Doctor say with all the coaching changes and adversity hes went thru is enough to admire him FOR NOT leaving before the season started. Witch Doctor say lets quickly shut down any negative talk and wish him success if he stays or leaves. Anyone who is hating on him ISNT a fan or DOES NOT understand recruiting( so when the idiots start, everyone please jump them! . Witch Doctor say we cant eat our own. Witch Doctor hope he finds success here or wherever he may land IF he leaves.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Very well stated, Witch_Doctor. This booing every time JG goes into a game needs to stop once and for all! Those doing it are not true Vol fans, and qualify only as scum!

In the interest of my kids having a great UT college experience I'm okay with UT turning the tables on UF. History and the directions of the two programs suggest otherwise.
I’m with ya. Just telling you not to be too critical on a freshman qb in just his second start. Especially given the fact that his first was against UGA and his next was quite possibly the most important game to the program of the season. Yes he’s made freshman mistakes but the offense has been EXPLOSIVE with him as well. This kid is the real deal if given the adequate time to reach his potential.

What if and big if here but what if he transferred to Oklahoma and did like all the others and win a Hiesman if I was a JG a Graduate with nothing to loose that's where I would transfer to. Hurts has a shot at winning the Hiesman and his Draft stock has went way up . Who knows but what JG has been threw a clean start may be good for him and the big 12 is great for making QB'S number look good. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries.
Not a chance. OU has one of the Freshman QB’s in the Country that will start next year

I have noticed he does not "fall well" like landing on his head yesterday. I just wonder how many times he had to "fall" in high school. With the numbers he put up, my guess is "not many". Which brings me to another point I have been considering of late; these guys coming out of high school with these gaudy numbers must be playing on a team with great o-line play and good/great receivers. To me most of these guys not going to a well stocked o-line and great receivers have as much or more trouble preforming than the "good" guys coming in from the "school of hard knocks". Any thoughts along this line???
I have to wonder if the same is not true for Harrison Bailey? He is surrounded by great receivers in high school.

Reactions: savannahfan
Dude, you are just as bad as the ones that have uncontrolled hate against JG. Are you the one that used to post as Dobbsforheisman? Support is one thing, worship is another. I have supported JG, but what you do is excessive.

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person question JGs character. Kid truly has all of the tools to be anreally good WB, physically he’s there, mentally from a leadership standpoint, he’s there, he just doesn’t have it on the field on Saturdays from a make plays standpoint.

I’d love for him to stick around and help our young QBs next season, but I’d also like to see him transfer to FAU and see if Lane can have a Cromptonesque effect on his ability. He needs a QB savant in a bad way.

Lane didn't turn Crompton into an SEC quarterback...Chaney did.

It's one thing they mentioned in the game that they'd talked to Trey Smith and brought up the fact that JG can't move on from the last play. Seems to be his big issue. He can't let go of that bad play and move on. Maybe this time on the bench has helped him. I still think he is our best chance for 6 wins.

And what do you base your opinion on??? He hasn't shown anything to lead us to 6 wins. If Maurer had been the starter from game one, imo we would have at least 4 wins now, but we only have two. I think jg is a good young man, has stayed out of trouble and played hard. Our best chance for 6 wins is with Maurer, and thats why I think he starts the rest of the games when healthy.

It is concerning that Maurer has had 2 starts and did not finish either game.

Yesterday's play was a little fluky but he has to learn this is not high school football. Get a few yards and get down.

According to Pruitt he did not intend for Maurer to play the whole game, he said jg would play.

6-7 for 106 and a TD stinks, but 4-7 with two redzone INT's is the next peyton manning? What facts are you looking at? He has yet to play in the second half of a game he has started.

one td in a little over a half of football against Miss. St. yes that stinks. 0 points agains fla, yes that stinks. Points scored is what its all about. jg just cannot lead the team to enough points. He does not have a good record in leading the team to points. And the 2 red zone int. jg would have never gotten us that close if he had been in there, and these types of int.. can be corrected with expierence. jg has already hit his ceiling. I don't think we would have beat Miss. st. if jg had started the game. We did lose to two teams less talented than miss st. with jg at qb.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
He prolly play better than you.
That is similar to responding to someone posting, he didn't like the piano playing. Your response, " he can probably (prolly) play the piano better than you can", it really makes no sense.

Maurer may very well be the future of the our team, he needs to get and stay healthy. There is no other answer, if we want him to be playing in the years to come, first he must be physically okay to play. I've seen on this very board, many times, a lot of posters believe JG will be leaving TN, to play for another school at the end of this year-I hope that isn't true, that sure isn't a true Vol attitude.

When the idea is to win more games than you lose.... why do you feel EXTREMELY lucky to have JG here? I am puzzled. He is not a winner or a shark when its time to eat. Never was, never will be. We need to move on...new blood needed at QB NOW.

VN Store

Back