Something needs to be said about our QB situation

It is concerning that Maurer has had 2 starts and did not finish either game.

Yesterday's play was a little fluky but he has to learn this is not high school football. Get a few yards and get down.

Reactions: Volunteer_Kirby
Fall well? About the only people that are trained to ‘fall well’ are stunt men. He does need to learn how to slide and I’m sure he will eventually.

Also, his high school team was awful.

I haven't look at his high school team. I just wonder how his numbers could be as good as they were on an awful team. As for falling, when I grew up, you got knocked down playing b-ball in the back yard, fell off a bicycle, out of a tree, we were always falling. You had to learn "how to fall" or you ended up with broken bones, bad sprains, all sorts of things. You had to learn how to fall, sorta like learning how to walk, because you knew you were gonna fall.....

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
IF......JG stays and Bailey signs.....the QB room will be fun to watch.
JT will prolly transfer, but 4 options will be intriguing. JMO

I haven't look at his high school team. I just wonder how his numbers could be as good as they were on an awful team. As for falling, when I grew up, you got knocked down playing b-ball in the back yard, fell off a bicycle, out of a tree, we were always falling. You had to learn "how to fall" or you ended up with broken bones, bad sprains, all sorts of things. You had to learn how to fall, sorta like learning how to walk, because you knew you were gonna fall.....
I see what you’re getting at but when I was young, learning how to fall was a subject that was never discussed. Other than possibly rolling your body there’s not much you can do in an uncontrolled fall.

One more question, how exactly do you learn to fall out of a tree?

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
I see what you’re getting at but when it was young, learning how to fall was a subject that was never discussed. Other than possibly rolling your body there’s not much you can do in an uncontrolled fall.

One more question, how exactly do you learn to fall out of a tree?
Not really difficult. Just be a dumb-ass kid like I was.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and m1al
Not really difficult. Just be a dumb-ass kid like I was.:rolleyes:
When I was young I knew a kid that used to play tag in a tree with his brothers. These boys weren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. He didn’t have the art of falling out of a tree mastered and broke his wrist/arm in three places.

Reactions: feathersax
Witch Doctor say lets all remember JG CHOSE to come here, wanted to be here, dreamed of being here. Witch Doctor say with all the coaching changes and adversity hes went thru is enough to admire him FOR NOT leaving before the season started. Witch Doctor say lets quickly shut down any negative talk and wish him success if he stays or leaves. Anyone who is hating on him ISNT a fan or DOES NOT understand recruiting( so when the idiots start, everyone please jump them! . Witch Doctor say we cant eat our own. Witch Doctor hope he finds success here or wherever he may land IF he leaves.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
But, but, but JG pouted during the Georgia Tech game just barely over 2 years ago!

Witch Doctor say lets all remember JG CHOSE to come here, wanted to be here, dreamed of being here. Witch Doctor say with all the coaching changes and adversity hes went thru is enough to admire him FOR NOT leaving before the season started. Witch Doctor say lets quickly shut down any negative talk and wish him success if he stays or leaves. Anyone who is hating on him ISNT a fan or DOES NOT understand recruiting( so when the idiots start, everyone please jump them! . Witch Doctor say we cant eat our own. Witch Doctor hope he finds success here or wherever he may land IF he leaves.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Reactions: Witch_Doctor
Game was already won bro..JG was just in there to waste as much time as possible with boring vanilla and super safe play..which he did superbly. The TD Byrd created out a typical short yardage safe JG pass just helped to put the game a little more out of reach. The defense were the MVP's and played 4 quarters finally.

Agree on Maurer. You can tell the kid loves to compete but he’s got to be smarter
He threw 7 passes and 2 were picked.
He had half as many picked as he completed - 4.
Maurer has nothing to lose. He must risk it to get the bis... He knows the only way he plays beyond this year is to throw caution to the wind and hope it works out better than not.

When I was young I knew a kid that used to play tag in a tree with his brothers. These boys weren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. He didn’t have the art of falling out of a tree mastered and broke his wrist/arm in three places.

Bet he learned!!! Either don't play tag in the tree or "don't fall" JUMP!! Like SLIDE, don't get hit.:)

I wish that weren't true but Maurer has to learn to protect himself and to check down. If we could somehow roll the two of them into one guy... he'd be the best QB in the SEC.

PS- JG really didn't do anything better or worse than he's done all year. They just had the advantage of a lead.... and a run game that showed up at the right time.

....and a defense that played surprisingly well!

Reactions: feathersax
I have noticed he does not "fall well" like landing on his head yesterday. I just wonder how many times he had to "fall" in high school. With the numbers he put up, my guess is "not many". Which brings me to another point I have been considering of late; these guys coming out of high school with these gaudy numbers must be playing on a team with great o-line play and good/great receivers. To me most of these guys not going to a well stocked o-line and great receivers have as much or more trouble preforming than the "good" guys coming in from the "school of hard knocks". Any thoughts along this line???
I understand the question about how to “fall”, but I disagree with your implication that he doesn’t fall well. BM is very athletic. He has shown his athleticism with soft falls on many plays; especially his first rushing TD of the year. His mistake is pushing too hard. He’s simply trying to make plays that aren’t worth the risk. He will learn.

I'm not sure that going through concussion protocol and having a concussion are the same thing.
I’ve said in several posts that I haven’t seen it confirmed anywhere that he actually had a concussion. I agree with you. I think it’s more of a stinger issue on his left side from ground impact than a concussion. If I’m wrong, then I’ve just missed it somewhere, but going thru concussion protocol anyway was the right thing to do, concussed or not.

What if and big if here but what if he transferred to Oklahoma and did like all the others and win a Hiesman if I was a JG a Graduate with nothing to loose that's where I would transfer to. Hurts has a shot at winning the Hiesman and his Draft stock has went way up . Who knows but what JG has been threw a clean start may be good for him and the big 12 is great for making QB'S number look good. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries.
...He would never see the field again.

He threw 7 passes and 2 were picked.
He had half as many picked as he completed - 4.
Maurer has nothing to lose. He must risk it to get the bis... He knows the only way he plays beyond this year is to throw caution to the wind and hope it works out better than not.
Once the “freshman” wears off of him with decision making UT will be enjoying the a** whipping he provides Florida for the next 3 years. You better HOPE Pruitt doesn’t stick with him because if he does, which he should, Maurer is going remind you of these words every time he runs the ball down your throat.

PS. let me be the first to also remind you that he was literally 45 min down 441 from UF and Dan Mullen never knew it until it was too late...... Just for future reference.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Believing JG isn't a good QB isn't hate. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

JG isn't a very good QB for whatever reason ( I chalk it up to confidence, decision making, and 3 OCs in 3 years ) but hasn't deserved the character assasination he has gotten at times on the board.

Maurer looks to have the intangibles that JG is lacking but he is a freshman making freshman decisions. He will figure it out.

I wish that weren't true but Maurer has to learn to protect himself and to check down. If we could somehow roll the two of them into one guy... he'd be the best QB in the SEC.

PS- JG really didn't do anything better or worse than he's done all year. They just had the advantage of a lead.... and a run game that showed up at the right time.

Besides put throws on time and on the money, you mean.
You know, giving him credit when due doesn't mean you're losing anything.

VN Store

Back