Something needs to be said about our QB situation

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
I will say its nice seeing JG's transformation as a team player and not the guy we saw sulking and distancing himself from the team during the GT game a few years back...Good to see those guys got each others back now.

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
Yeah, it's like the team understands that they are a team, now we just need the fans to realize it.

Reactions: VolNExile
He threw 7 passes and 2 were picked.
He had half as many picked as he completed - 4.
Maurer has nothing to lose. He must risk it to get the bis... He knows the only way he plays beyond this year is to throw caution to the wind and hope it works out better than not.
Your username and avatar are offensive

Glad JG stayed around and kept his head in the game. Maurer can move the ball all he wants between the 20s but throwing pics in the end zones will get you yanked. Can’t have that with a team so close to the margins. No sense in playing him Saturday. Let JT get some reps in practice this week. Plan for SC

Reactions: feathersax
I'll
Once the “freshman” wears off of him with decision making UT will be enjoying the a** whipping he provides Florida for the next 3 years. You better HOPE Pruitt doesn’t stick with him because if he does, which he should, Maurer is going remind you of these words every time he runs the ball down your throat.

PS. let me be the first to also remind you that he was literally 45 min down 441 from UF and Dan Mullen never knew it until it was too late...... Just for future reference.

Dan will never struggle to land a stable of quality QB's. I have no issue with one of my Alma Mater beating the other. I'd especially be fine with it the next five years so all my UTK children experience VOLS success. You see I'm in a no lose situation.

It's interesting how optimistic you are given the directions of both programs.

Reactions: Cormock Mac
Once the “freshman” wears off of him with decision making UT will be enjoying the a** whipping he provides Florida for the next 3 years. You better HOPE Pruitt doesn’t stick with him because if he does, which he should, Maurer is going remind you of these words every time he runs the ball down your throat.

PS. let me be the first to also remind you that he was literally 45 min down 441 from UF and Dan Mullen never knew it until it was too late...... Just for future reference.

Talk trash to a team that has completely dominated us for 30 years and just beat us by 30 points.

I'll

Dan will never struggle to land a stable of quality QB's. I have no issue with one of my Alma Mater beating the other. I'd especially be fine with it the next five years so all my UTK children experience VOLS success. You see I'm in a no lose situation.

It's interesting how optimistic you are given the directions of both programs.
I’m optimistic about our qb. I’m optimistic about our direction with him at the helm. What you’re failing to realize is freshman qbs usually come in with a long list of things you hope get corrected. Maurers list is all of 2 items long: Decision making- which will come with time in the system and Physical growth- which will come with another year in S&C. Once he gets those 2 things under control are you telling me you feel comfortable playing against him? Good luck

Witch Doctor dont think there is anything wrong with saying JG threw a bad pass, had a bad game or bad season or even cost us the game(if true!) . The stupid hate by stupid is what WE dont need. KILLZ our recruiting and keeps away good coaches. (i.e. the last 10 or so years). Saying hes "trash" or "Hope he leaves!" or what ever ,just speaks to the maturity of that poster. Witch Doctor says grow up! Witch Doctor tired of bad football! Lol

(Maurer is a fresh, hes going to make mistakes, but he has GREAT promise)

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say lets all remember JG CHOSE to come here, wanted to be here, dreamed of being here. Witch Doctor say with all the coaching changes and adversity hes went thru is enough to admire him FOR NOT leaving before the season started. Witch Doctor say lets quickly shut down any negative talk and wish him success if he stays or leaves. Anyone who is hating on him ISNT a fan or DOES NOT understand recruiting( so when the idiots start, everyone please jump them! . Witch Doctor say we cant eat our own. Witch Doctor hope he finds success here or wherever he may land IF he leaves.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

JG stinks as a QB, not as a human.

Facts never lie.

I have noticed he does not "fall well" like landing on his head yesterday. I just wonder how many times he had to "fall" in high school. With the numbers he put up, my guess is "not many". Which brings me to another point I have been considering of late; these guys coming out of high school with these gaudy numbers must be playing on a team with great o-line play and good/great receivers. To me most of these guys not going to a well stocked o-line and great receivers have as much or more trouble preforming than the "good" guys coming in from the "school of hard knocks". Any thoughts along this line???
BM's high school team was bad. Literally, he was their entire arsenal.

Talk trash to a team that has completely dominated us for 30 years and just beat us by 30 points.
Anyone that watches the rivalry over the recent past knows that qb play and mental mistakes are what have prevented us from being competitive with them. Not overall talent. So talking smack about our freshman qb stats in his second start is ridiculous. In fact I wonder if it’s actually fear.

Reactions: feathersax
JG stinks as a QB, not as a human.

Facts never lie.
6-7 for 106 and a TD stinks, but 4-7 with two redzone INT's is the next peyton manning? What facts are you looking at? He has yet to play in the second half of a game he has started.

Not sure of your relation, but I am a big fan of the kid. He forces the ball and makes mistakes a freshman usually does...but the kid is a gamer and has brass balls.

It's not lost on me...though it is on most..that Maurer only had 1 man to beat on that play that hurt him or he could have scored. He definitely needs to learn to protect himself, but in that instance I dont fault him at all because he was close to taking it to the house. He is a ball of fire, and will not come out scared of Bama...even though he probably should. Bama has a great D line this year, we need to be careful with the kid or he will get knocked out of 3 in a row...I hope JG plays some drives just for that reason.

Bailey is a stud ..there is no doubt. He threw for 6 TDs and ran for 1 friday night. Many here are just assuming that he is gonna come in and beat out Maurer for the starting job as a freshman next year. That will be a very tough thing to do IMO...particularly just because CJP knows that Maurer is a gamer...so even if Bailey looks a little sharper in practice, Maurer may well play better once the lights come on and 100k fans show up.

Looks like Bailey is still solid in his committment and recruiting other players and WR to come here as well. Hopefully we can redshirt Byrd so that he and Johnson can be mentors for all the freshman and soph WR next year. I look forward to our QB competition next year...

Early, early prediction: we have no starter named game 1, and both Maurer and Bailey get playing time to see who is better in game conditions. People shouldnt underestimate the "gamer" factor. It weighs heavily on coaches minds, and if Maurer continues to play well this season will help him greatly next year. By ALL accounts, Josh Dobbs wasnt a good practice QB...but he put our team on his shoulders and carried it to MANY wins. He was a true gamer...and I think Maurer is also.

Tell your boy that VN is proud of him. We are

Tennessee has never in 120 years went 3-9 ... I wonder if some on here realize this
I haven't look at his high school team. I just wonder how his numbers could be as good as they were on an awful team. As for falling, when I grew up, you got knocked down playing b-ball in the back yard, fell off a bicycle, out of a tree, we were always falling. You had to learn "how to fall" or you ended up with broken bones, bad sprains, all sorts of things. You had to learn how to fall, sorta like learning how to walk, because you knew you were gonna fall.....

I seem to remember back in the long gone days of my youth I took some martial arts classes where they tried to teach how to control a fall and absorb the impact. I don't think I ever absorbed the lesson. Later in life I learned the ground was harder than martial arts pads.

Anyone that watches the rivalry over the recent past knows that qb play and mental mistakes are what have prevented us from being competitive with them. Not overall talent. So talking smack about our freshman qb stats in his second start is ridiculous. In fact I wonder if it’s actually fear.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The reason they beat us is they are deeper and much more talented on both lines than we are. That cannot be seriously argued.

It's one thing they mentioned in the game that they'd talked to Trey Smith and brought up the fact that JG can't move on from the last play. Seems to be his big issue. He can't let go of that bad play and move on. Maybe this time on the bench has helped him. I still think he is our best chance for 6 wins.
Best way to learn how to quit doing that? Try golf....your next swing has nothing to do with your previous one or the next one...Lord knows I have been a victim of that...

Besides put throws on time and on the money, you mean.
He's done that when in low risk situations. The guy can throw the ball. I've always loved the way he throws. It is his decision making and some say confidence that handicap him. Maurer at this point is too brash. He maybe has too much confidence that he can make throws like the pick intended for Palmer. JG's problem is the exact opposite. Maybe it was Jones beating ball security into his head so strongly that he became completely risk averse. But his unwillingness to take chances has stunted his development as a QB... apparently permanently.

You know, giving him credit when due doesn't mean you're losing anything.
I'll give him the exact same credit Pruitt did. He didn't lose the game for them. They asked him to manage the O and otherwise didn't ask him to "do much". He plays conservative really well. Unfortunately, conservative can sometimes protect a win... but it can't create one.

I find it hilarious how people spin things. If we had the exact same results but you switch the name around on the stats from the game the conversation on these boards would be totally different and toxic. If JG had started the game and had the same stats as Maurer, the guy threw 3 incompletions but 2 of them were picks in the endzone he'd be getting crucified. If Maurer had come in and led us to a TD and a bunch of fairly big completions we'd be all over his sack. I think both cases are too much personally. Both of them get treated unfairly just in different directions.

JG has proven he can step up in big games and perform. I have no Idea what Maurer can do. Have a seen some flashes from him sure but I have seen just as many flaws. With JG there is a known quantity. I can say this fairly confidently I don't think anyone no matter how much they hate JG would say they'd expect him to make 3 trips to the Redzone and come away with 2 picks and a rushing TD. I think Maurer can be a good QB but I do not think he is ready NOW and him starting against Bama and South Carolina does not put us in the best situation to get to a bowl game.. Let JG start against Bama and bring in Maurer once it gets out of hand in the second half. But we need JG for SC if he loses that game go all in on Maurer and Shrout the rest of the season because we lose that game seasons pretty much over.

No matter what at this point at least 1 of our QB's is gonna be gone after this season. Probably two. I think it comes down to what is important if we are OK with not making a bowl and we have cashed in on the season to build youth for next year? Start Maurer the rest of the season. If we wanna make a bowl we need to beat USC and we need it badly. Until yesterday I wasn't worried about them but after what happened to UGA we need JG for them. These are my opinions based on nothing but what I think and have observed. I am no coach or analyst just an old UT fan. Feel free to have and express your own views. To be honest Im slightly dyslexic and typing Maurers name hurts me so maybe thats why i don't want him to start yet until we get like a nickname for him. BM just sounds wrong, too much fiber.

It's great to see these 18-20 year old kids get it. Nice post Knoxtown

Coach needs to do better getting JT ready.

I've wondered for a while why they don't roll him out like they did with Crompton his final year. Seems like it would limit the decisions he has to make and maybe speed up his decision process. I'm sure it's been considered, just wonder what the reason is not to try it?

VN Store

Back