Some of our stud players are delusional..

UTVolWarrior98

Guys,

First, it was John Kelly to declare. Now, Gaulden has decided to forgo his Senior season and enter the NFL draft. Of course, they were really good players, but what makes them think they are NFL material this early? I mean come on, Kelly isn't Sony Michel and Nick Chubb and Gaulden isn't some Micah Fitzpatrick. They both would have benefited greatly by staying and developing another year. I know its a new staff, bad season, not much hope this year, and families involved, but Im sorry they are sadly mistaken if they think they are good enough to come out their Junior years.

Same exact thing went for Josh Malone.

Your thoughts? Am I way off here? Agree?

Reactions: 40 people
I don't think you're way off.

I hope these 2 received their info (to go pro) from a reliable source. Reliable as far as the draft is concerned...not friends or family.

It seems to me the RB pool is pretty deep this year.

As far as Gaulden, maybe his measurables are what the NFL wants. They still draft on potential.

Reactions: 2 people
Malone went in the 4th round and has stuck with the Bengals...

The Cincinnati Bengals have signed Josh Malone to his rookie contract. It's a four-year deal worth up to $2,999,241, according to Spotrac.

Reactions: 22 people
gotta do what you gotta do, but wished they'd stayed another year...pardon me...I'm selfish that way...:)

GO VOLS!

Of the two, I think Gaulden would benefit from another year just from the standpoint of who will be coaching him.. The defense will be better and I think he would probably have a better year and raise his stock.

Kelly, not so much. I don't think there is much more he can learn from another year and I think the offense next year is more 'up in the air' than the defense. He needs a better line and hopefully he'll fall to a decent team with a good OL..

That said, I do not blame either and can't say I wouldn't do the same in their position..

Reactions: 3 people
i think Gaulden gets drafted and makes a roster.

Kelly is riskier. lot's of RB's out there to choose from, and i don't know that he brings anything to the table that really separates himself from enough of the 20+ backs that will be eligible. and i think he's really good. that's just not enough to move the meter imo. late round pick imo at best.

Malone did just fine. he was activated several times, made $3m this year. can't argue with that at all.

Reactions: 7 people
With the incoming coaching staff and talent they may believe that many of the other players may benefit and maybe outshine them next season harming their draft status. There are players on the team that are more talented than they have shown. There were no coaches willing to develop them.

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly is avoiding possible injury and another year of wear and tear. He looked great all year and could have teams thinking Kamara wasnt used to greatest ability, why not same for Kelly?

Reactions: 13 people
If delusional is going pro to get paid after the worst season in Tennessee history then yes they are delusional.

Both played well enough to get drafted and if I were them then I would be going too.

Reactions: 8 people
Neither are delusional but neither will be high picks. If you want to make the money now, I'm not going to fault you.

Both should have good careers

If delusional is going pro to get paid after the worst season in Tennessee history then yes they are delusional.

Both played well enough to get drafted and if I were them then I would be going too.
Add to that a rag tag returning OL and brand new offense and its a no brainer imo

Reactions: 3 people
as good as they may have been for us, CJP may have came in and said look boys u just might not fit this new system we're going to be running.

Guys,

First, it was John Kelly to declare. Now, Gaulden has decided to forgo his Senior season and enter the NFL draft. Of course, they were really good players, but what makes them think they are NFL material this early? I mean come on, Kelly isn't Sony Michel and Nick Chubb and Gaulden isn't some Micah Fitzpatrick. They both would have benefited greatly by staying and developing another year. I know its a new staff, bad season, not much hope this year, and families involved, but Im sorry they are sadly mistaken if they think they are good enough to come out their Junior years.

Same exact thing went for Josh Malone.

Your thoughts? Am I way off here? Agree?

Josh Malone made a mistake going pro? Lol.

Kelly is a mistake, but he's a RB that can get injured on any tackle

but Gaulden is a for sure NFL prospect with great measurables and plays a much needed position.

I think they are 5th rounders who will get a rookie contract and maybe nothing more. I also believe nothing is left for them in Knoxville besides career-ending injuries (can't control) and/or character-destroying bad personal decisions(can control but choose no to.) Leaving is the slightly more appealing end of a depressing Hobson's choice.

Players have been betting on themselves since Barry Sanders headed the first early declare rookie class. Doesn’t always pay off but it’s their’s to gamble. It’s not a “problem” much less a Tennessee specific one.

Can't really blame them. They have the talent. You are the delusional one if you can't see that.

Not everyone who leaves early has the talent: Marquez North (undrafted in 2016, cut), Antonio Richardson (undrafted in 2014, cut), Tyler Bray (undrafted in 2013, injured reserve), Dennis Rogan (undrafted in 2010, arena league), and Justin Harrell (1st round draftpick but only played in 14 games in his career). Then there are a group of players who left early and have had less than stellar careers or early careers: Kelley Washington (don't blame him he was old), Justin Hunter, Robert Meachem, Heath Shuler, and Josh Malone. A very small group of juniors have left and have had good/great early careers/careers: Eric Berry, Jerod Mayo, Cordarelle Patterson, Derek Barnett, and Alvin Kamara.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back