Some of our stud players are delusional..

Not everyone who leaves early has the talent: Marquez North (undrafted in 2016, cut), Antonio Richardson (undrafted in 2014, cut), Tyler Bray (undrafted in 2013, injured reserve), Dennis Rogan (undrafted in 2010, arena league), and Justin Harrell (1st round draftpick but only played in 14 games in his career). Then there are a group of players who left early and have had less than stellar careers or early careers: Kelley Washington (don't blame him he was old), Justin Hunter, Robert Meachem, Heath Shuler, Josh Malone, and Cameron Sutton. A very small group of juniors have left and have had good/great early careers/careers: Eric Berry, Jerod Mayo, Cordarelle Patterson, Derek Barnett, and Alvin Kamara.

Meachem actually had a decent career. Made over 12 million in 6 years.

Hunter was a victim of the Titans that drafted him. Put him on the Titans now and he'd be fine since they actually have a QB. Malone is going to be fine in Cincy.

Reactions: 1 person
Meachem actually had a decent career. Made over 12 million in 6 years.

Hunter was a victim of the Titans that drafted him. Put him on the Titans now and he'd be fine since they actually have a QB. Malone is going to be fine in Cincy.

Meachem had a decent career money wise comparatively to his results but just under 3000 yards total for 8 seasons is very average.

Kelly is avoiding possible injury and another year of wear and tear. He looked great all year and could have teams thinking Kamara wasnt used to greatest ability, why not same for Kelly?

I think kelly believes he will get comparisons to Kamara in hopes of some team trying to steal him in the draft.

the only thing you need to be able to sell recruits is the ability to get drafted. it's out of the program's control if you don't make once there.

and there's some guys on this staff that have sent plenty of kids to the NFL, so i'm sure they're fairly well prepared to have conversations about the draft, the prospects of leaving early, etc, etc, etc.....

there's not a coach out there that doesn't want their players to have that opportunity.

hope they both get picked and make rosters.

I don’t know Gaulden and Kelly’s specific backgrounds, but many college athletes don’t grow up with much and wouldn’t even be in college without the scholarship. Once they see they can make more money than anyone they grew up with, who can blame them? A chance to take care of some people and family that have helped them growing up and give themselves a life they would never have otherwise. It’s easy for us to want them to stay another year, but would you want to stay for another year of just getting by and going to class with the risk of injury that could derail the whole thing? I wouldn’t.

Reactions: 3 people
Guys,

First, it was John Kelly to declare. Now, Gaulden has decided to forgo his Senior season and enter the NFL draft. Of course, they were really good players, but what makes them think they are NFL material this early? I mean come on, Kelly isn't Sony Michel and Nick Chubb and Gaulden isn't some Micah Fitzpatrick. They both would have benefited greatly by staying and developing another year. I know its a new staff, bad season, not much hope this year, and families involved, but Im sorry they are sadly mistaken if they think they are good enough to come out their Junior years.

Same exact thing went for Josh Malone.

Your thoughts? Am I way off here? Agree?

I believe they will both be drafted. They’ve put in the work and have proved that they are 2 of the best players in the SEC. I’ll greatly miss them playing for the Vols next year.

* But I also know there are a number of can’t miss studs at their positions that will be drafted as well......hopefully our guys can make it.

Last edited:
I think they are 5th rounders who will get a rookie contract and maybe nothing more. I also believe nothing is left for them in Knoxville besides career-ending injuries (can't control) and/or character-destroying bad personal decisions(can control but choose no to.) Leaving is the slightly more appealing end of a depressing Hobson's choice.

We can always count on you to be a bastion of sunshine and hope.....

Last edited:
He got paid a little bit but I wouldn't call 6 receptions for the year Earth Shattering by any stretch. He is the 144th ranked wr in the NFL.

Among rookie WR's he's 19th statistically...I get your over all point, but Cincy is kind of loaded with AJ Green, Brandon LaFell and Tyler Boyd...Hopefully, he'll come along.

Besides, he probably already knew what we had to find out the hard way...we didn't have anyone who would have gotten him the ball consistently...he might have had, most likely would have had, a worse season.

Guys,

First, it was John Kelly to declare. Now, Gaulden has decided to forgo his Senior season and enter the NFL draft. Of course, they were really good players, but what makes them think they are NFL material this early? I mean come on, Kelly isn't Sony Michel and Nick Chubb and Gaulden isn't some Micah Fitzpatrick. They both would have benefited greatly by staying and developing another year. I know its a new staff, bad season, not much hope this year, and families involved, but Im sorry they are sadly mistaken if they think they are good enough to come out their Junior years.

I think Gaulden would have benefited more than Kelley to come back next year. As tough and as great a RB Kelley is, he's still going to be undersized and not as fast as everyone else so NFL guys will always devalue him because of that. Plus we all know RB's have the shortest lifespan out of all positions.

I think Pruitt could have elevated Gaulden's draft potential from the 4th or 5th round to the 2nd or 3rd round by making him a wildcard Fitzpatrick/Jabrill Peppers type player who does a whole lot of things pretty well on D.

Either way good luck to both players, if I had the opportunity to make a few million I'd do it too.

I don't blame either one of them to go to the league while they're relatively healthy. I think Kelly will get drafted in the late rounds. He was leading the SEC in rushing when our OLine wasn't crapping the bed. Gaulden has had some injury issues, but I think he could make a roster as an undrafted free agent.

I don't blame either one of them to go to the league while they're relatively healthy. I think Kelly will get drafted in the late rounds. He was leading the SEC in rushing when our OLine wasn't crapping the bed. Gaulden has had some injury issues, but I think he could make a roster as an undrafted free agent.

I disagree. IMHO Gaulden will go before round 5. Kelly is picking a bad yr to come out. Also he is no Kamara so I think he goes undrafted.

Both should’ve stayed 1 more yr!

💩💩💩

Both should’ve stayed 1 more yr!
Easy to say when you're not the one turning down a couple million to stay a program undergoing a coaching change after the worst season in program history. These guys more than paid their dues and I wish them both the best. Not to mention, both witnessed what happened to Cam Sutton when he stayed an extra year. Wasn't Maggitt a senior when he hurt his hip too?

Guys,

How would you like for someone to tell you not to go and pursue your dreams and make money? It’s their decision not yours.

Guys,

Kelly had Grade Issues, Gaulden is rated as one of he top Corner AND/OR Safety prospects in the draft. Injury would cost more than he could make coming back one more year. Gaulden is making the smart choice. Kelly had no choice.

Guys,

A little perspective here. John Kelly and Gaulden will have a good shot to get drafted, so these aren't really fringe prospects. To someone who is already comfortable, you might say that one more year could help their stock, and you might be right. But remember, many players have been dirt poor their whole life and everyone they've known before college was also poor. Even the rookie salary of a 7th round selection might be enough to change the lives of them and their family. Some players already have families that they need to support.

Welcome to marginal utility.

Guys,

Are they delusional or are,just mad that they are not making the decision you want them to make?

Kelly is avoiding possible injury and another year of wear and tear. He looked great all year and could have teams thinking Kamara wasnt used to greatest ability, why not same for Kelly?

Not to mention that JK would probably be looking at learning a whole new offense for just one season.

This thread is pretty offensive. I don't know if they made the right decision from an objective viewpoint, but they are nowhere near delusional.

VN Store

Back